tenfyr

Deficit stock system for traders (Fence)

tenfyr

I've read a couple of posts and have personally experienced issues regarding the suspected use of macros with traders, namely Fence. I understand the use of macros is hard to detect so maybe the following system will help keep people happy and reduce the number of 'Trader out of stock' messages people are receiving because they can't click fast enough to buy an item.

When players enter the trader's store page they are presented with the current items in stock, let's say there is a single wallet there and 20 people are looking at it. Those 20 people want to buy it so they go through the purchase process and receive their wallet, the player's page refreshes and the wallet is gone from the trader's stock (any purchase completely refreshes the trader's stock so if they saw the wallet and wanted to buy it but bought something else, the wallet will be gone). The trader is now at a deficit of 19 wallets so any player entering the store at this point will not see a wallet in stock. The wallet or wallets will only appear again if 20 or more are sold back to the trader, this will keep the rare items rare.

bigbacon

seems like a good idea but...

how do you determine which players actually get to buy it vs those who don't? Is there a 10 second window for people to get it in the cart before it gets sold? How would that work? Right now its first come first serve. Would the stock auto refresh then every X seconds so you have that amount of time to get the item and hit buy?

I would love there to be something to improve getting things from Fence but i'm not sure how this would work. 

tenfyr
1 hour ago, bigbacon said:

seems like a good idea but...

how do you determine which players actually get to buy it vs those who don't? Is there a 10 second window for people to get it in the cart before it gets sold? How would that work? Right now its first come first serve. Would the stock auto refresh then every X seconds so you have that amount of time to get the item and hit buy?

I would love there to be something to improve getting things from Fence but i'm not sure how this would work. 

Whenever a player enters the store or does something to refresh the store page their PC fetches the trader's current inventory from the BSG servers, it is stored on their PC and they can buy an item or sell items if they wish. A buy or sell action will cause the player's store page to refresh which will update the trader's inventory on the BSG servers accordingly, then the BSG server sends the updated trader inventory back to the player's PC. For this to work there will need to be such a thing as negative stock as there is the possibility that multiple units of a single item are sold. The only items that appear on a player's store page are those that have greater than 0 units available. Overall the same number of items are traded but not in real time which makes macros irrelevant.

bigbacon

i think the only fear here is the possibility of many players at one time being at to get a hold of a very rare item. What if someone dumped an epsilon container there and 300 players are able to just buy it. that might upset some kind of balance with in the game. Quest type items would especially end up being bought over being found. I think people would just sit in the store for hours over spending hours trying to get things. (hell I already sit there for 30 minutes at time trying to get some items faster than others)

Edited by bigbacon

lordzelmer
6 hours ago, tenfyr said:

it is stored on their PC

If it worked like that, you'll get a cheating problem, you can't trust anything that's stored client-side. The resolution for that is keeping an instance of every opened inventory which might prove heavy on the servers, but those are only technical problems. Design implications are outlined by the post above, so I won't repeat that.

And while I agree it would be a cool solution, it's not perfect and needs to be improved. I've wondered about this myself, since I suck and it took me 5 days to get 5 Salewa medkits, 4 of them bought from fence in multiple hours of clicking refresh :P