Sign in to follow this  
VladThePad

Ammo, Armour and the long term

Is there a risk that the ammo vs armour situation will ossify the game long term?

Consider this hypothetical: the game has been released for some time; there are no more patch wipes. The player base has become wealthy, and everyone has levelled their traders to full. Everyone runs PACA and Kiver as a minimum. Except for genuinely new players - these poor bastards will certainly have some heavy dues to pay.

So with everyone armoured and everyone wealthy, players with not use shotguns, SMGs or pistols. These will just become loot items. All that people will use are the AKM, M4, VSS and 74N using a hand full of the ammo types. So a game that is rich with nice models and animations and lots of weapon choice, artificially constricts itself because of the armour mechanic. 

Is it too early to tell? It seems to be going this road. It would be a real shame. Or are wipes always going to be a part of the picture? Seasonally for example?

Unless they find new means for high lvl/high gear people to test their mettle, you will just bump into one or two(or group if they are teaming up) of them. Down side is their power farming is really hindering new player's task runs. Depending on your luck you CAN still get some fun hatchet battles or small arms fight(mostly to be ruined by high level person hearing the shots) lol. 

But you are right about the gear and ammo part. After certain level and money you pretty much need couple of thing from vendors and you can ditch all that ammo and lower tier gear to fence. After level 20 i just used AP ammo on everything i can fit in. 

But if there was only some servers dedicated to huge PVE battles that would vent some of the hate between players

I think the introduction of dogtags and their stupid values is meaning the community should have an abundance of cash and therefore is able to always field themselves well geared. Which is meaning there's no reason to take 'non' AP rounds because the assumption is everyone is atleast in a PACA. 

In short, once they rebalance the economy a little lower, I think you'll see more variety. 
*braces for the hate responses*

14 minutes ago, georgeadam said:

Which is meaning there's no reason to take 'non' AP rounds because the assumption is everyone is atleast in a PACA.

Basic PS ammo will go right through that PACA from any gun. The armor piercing is needed for fort/ops core 

@Eragon284th
I'm confused by your response, the topic was that with there being more money, eventually everyone would be armoured and therefore not unarmoured. 

@qS_Sachiel Is there a quick way to do that, or is it the slow process of adding individual bullets. Additionally though, I think it could be a waste. For example you get 5 bullets off on somone's chest, 3 of them would damage the fort, then the 2 hp would do a single point of damage each to the armor. By comparision having 2 more ap bullets would either break the fort and damage the player, or gives you a higher chance of getting a lucky penetrating shot as the chances are higher. 
Knowing what you're firing (ammo type) constantly surely helps you identify how you should be shooting, instead of random luck that you get the right bullet at the right time? 

@georgeadam  not really. I said starting magazines because it's quite cumbersome to do in-raid currently.

I'll Ctrl+click-hold on HP, split out 2, Ctrl+click-hold on PS, split out 3-5. Hp bottom, PS top, repeat until full.

The idea is that the 3-5 PS do more damage to the armor, then the following HP damage the body inside once armor is destroyed. The repeat is for redundancy/ in case of miss on your first 'volley'. I'll take PS ammo in after that. Because HP is mixed in a much lower quantity, it's really there as a damage multiplier. There's the chance you miss the first 5 PS and the 2 HP hit doing little damage but that's why you're bursting or in a high ROF you're going to be putting several other following rounds into them also.

The way i understood the system, once the armor is destroyed (0 durability) then all rounds will penetrate (ie: behaves as if there is no armor on the player) so it doesn't matter if your'e using HP as they will do maximum damage on a 0/0 fort, paca, 3M ....

I'm not confident i'm correct, but anecdotally it fits.

Edited by qS_Sachiel

We don't yet know what the availability of armour will be, or what the traders will stock. Fort may become a loot only item, hell it might even be superseded by something even more powerful.

The reason why money and high level items are so easy to come by at the moment is, I believe, due to BSG wanting everyone to get their hands on all the gear. In my experience this patch, Fort is relatively rare and I've only just tonight saw (and killed lol) my first enemy PMC wearing it. And this is with everything easy to get hold of.

But to answer the OP, yeah I can certainly imagine there being a 'gear meta' just like there is now, I just don't think these great pieces of gear/ammo will be as readily available. 

At the end of the day I think Tarkov is going to change drastically on release from where it stands now, so your hypothesis may be a little early :P albeit well thought out

14 hours ago, Skaldy said:

Unless they find new means for high lvl/high gear people to test their mettle

Arena mode should cater for that I imagine