100% Disk usage

I just recently bought eft, and whenever I try to play and load into a map my disk usage shoots up to 100% and My game starts to freeze up. Im not quite sure what is happening and any help would be much appreciated.

my specs are,

fx-6300

gtx 1050ti

8gb ram

1tb hdd

My guess is your RAM is a bit on the low side and you're getting what's called page filing. It happens to me on shoreline which seems to not be optimized well enough (I too have 8 GB of RAM)

Basically your RAM is getting maxed out so it is moving things from RAM onto your hard drive which is incredibly slow compared to your RAM and maxing out the hard drive. So take a look at your RAM when this is occurring, my guess is you're just about maxed out there as well.

Lower graphics options or stay away from the larger maps.

1 hour ago, Daunt said:

My guess is your RAM is a bit on the low side and you're getting what's called page filing. It happens to me on shoreline which seems to not be optimized well enough (I too have 8 GB of RAM)

Basically your RAM is getting maxed out so it is moving things from RAM onto your hard drive which is incredibly slow compared to your RAM and maxing out the hard drive. So take a look at your RAM when this is occurring, my guess is you're just about maxed out there as well.

Lower graphics options or stay away from the larger maps.

Yeah thats what I was fearing, also would that play into why I have fps drops in gunfights?

its not his RAM thats the issue its his Disk read/write speed. I have the same issues on Star Citizen. If you have a solid state drive that you can put EFT onto it will fix alot of that issue. The issue is your single HDD trying to do everything by itself (also comes down to the manufacturer of your HDD and how good its internal speeds are)

• Like 1
RoosterBooster_

yeah 100% is your disk read write speeds man. You should run it pretty good with 8bg. Just get a low price 250gb SSD, throw your EFT on there and you're set!

On 1/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, ItsTulio said:

yeah 100% is your disk read write speeds man. You should run it pretty good with 8bg. Just get a low price 250gb SSD, throw your EFT on there and you're set!

On 1/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, JAMSTEYY said:

its not his RAM thats the issue its his Disk read/write speed. I have the same issues on Star Citizen. If you have a solid state drive that you can put EFT onto it will fix alot of that issue. The issue is your single HDD trying to do everything by itself (also comes down to the manufacturer of your HDD and how good its internal speeds are)

Rewriting a previous post for clarity: It has nothing to do with read/write. That is literally only when you load a map (which is when it's moving everything to your RAM). Once you're in-game, you are running it off of RAM. When your RAM is full, it starts using your hard drive, which of course is way slower than RAM and would use 100% disk usage as described. So with more RAM (not a faster read/write) he'd not experience this issue.

Even if he were to install it to an SSD he'd still see the same issue- I have mine already on my SSD and it does what he describes. Because it's running out of RAM and having to use a hard drive in the first place. 8 GB is currently not enough to run the game properly in its current state.

Edited by Daunt
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 10:08 AM, Sanguo said:

I just recently bought eft, and whenever I try to play and load into a map my disk usage shoots up to 100% and My game starts to freeze up. Im not quite sure what is happening and any help would be much appreciated.

my specs are,

fx-6300

gtx 1050ti

8gb ram

1tb hdd

Any luck on fixing it?

On 17/01/2018 at 4:08 PM, Sanguo said:

my specs are,

fx-6300

gtx 1050ti

8gb ram

1tb hdd

Several solutions, here:

1. (The easiest) Wait for more optimization from the devs.
  2. (The most expensive) Buy a pair of caracteristicly identical RAM sticks if you have enough room on your motherboard
  3. (The most laborious) Create a paging file on your HDD drive (3956Mo for 64bit W10 OS and 4096Mo for 32bit W10 OS, search on the internet for that, don't create any for SSDs)

Anyway, sad to say but your rig is not very capable of handling big maps with decent framerate in EFT. 16Gb of RAM will unstress your rig but you will still need more computing power.

Edited by Kegeloco
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I have 3 drives: 2 SSD's and 1 HDD: Windows on SSD C:\, documents/movies etc on HDD D:\, and games on SSD F:\.

When I play Tarkov, my F drive is barely used whereas my D drive is usually maxed out.

Why is Tarkov using D when it's installed on F? Yes, I also have 8GB RAM, but when monitoring my RAM usage, I usually have 200MB-1GB unused. And I have the memory cleaner app, clearing system cache and "Trim 'processes' working set".

I'm very confused.

Frank_Bumstead

As someone who has a pretty basic HDD I can tell you the only thing that causes a problem is I sometimes load the maps later than my group, so they have to wait like 15 seconds for me to pop in.

Its the ram.  When I had 8gb I couldnt run the game.  Got 16gb and I get solid 60fps 1080p on medium to high settings.

i5-4570

16gb ram 4x4.  Always go for 4 slots in a motherboard if you can

1060 6gb

1tb HDD

Edited by Frank_Bumstead
typo
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 6:06 AM, Saffa05 said:

I have 3 drives: 2 SSD's and 1 HDD: Windows on SSD C:\, documents/movies etc on HDD D:\, and games on SSD F:\.

When I play Tarkov, my F drive is barely used whereas my D drive is usually maxed out.

Why is Tarkov using D when it's installed on F? Yes, I also have 8GB RAM, but when monitoring my RAM usage, I usually have 200MB-1GB unused. And I have the memory cleaner app, clearing system cache and "Trim 'processes' working set".

I'm very confused.

I have it on my SSD drive (D drive) and it maxes out my HDD (C drive) i got 16gb of ram so idk wtf is going on, it only maxed it out after getting a bug where i was stuck in my inventory

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just noticed the D:(HDD) drive was taking it 100% and I also have both the launcher/game installed on C: (SSD) . I am equipped with 16gb ram as well running a GTX 1070ti..   any solutions or answers to why this is happening yet?

• 3 months later...
G3t0ffMyLawn

Throwin my 2 cents into an older thread, I don't think this issue is going away any time soon. Game is installed on a 500 GB SSD (D:), 32 GB of ram and running through a Geforce 2080/Ryzen 5 3600 6-core. My temps stay well below safe levels, AMD claims their chips can be happy at 95º C and I'm 81º C at worst. Just played a match and logged in no less than 30 "chugs" with task manager's telemetry open on a second monitor...this stutter stuff has gotten rough lately and I want to get to the bottom of it.

When these occur, my C : drive spikes to 100% ( installed on the D:), ram usage stays stable at roughly 12 of 32 GB used, and both CPU and GPU plummet from roughly 40% on both to 2-5% until the chug ends.  Ethernet remains roughly stable, hardwired into fiber optic connecting to closest 5 servers (eastern U.S).  This rig should have more than enough boom for the vroom this game requires and I don't believe ping, as far as my connection to my isp is concerned, is a factor.

I'm not running out of RAM, not even half is used.  My C : drive should not be engaged so heavily from an application on an alternate partition and, oddly, this spiking behavior still occurs on my C : drive out of raid.  Something is interacting with Tarkov in a way that it shouldn't be is my best guess.  Is battle eye scanning my C : drive during these stutters perhaps?  The spikes appear to come in regular intervals, and a prioritized remote scan of my HDD from another program is my suspicion, but does it scan so regularly?  I have no clue how battle eye works, they kind of keep that information to themselves.

Edited by G3t0ffMyLawn
swapped temps for amd to C, i forgot most ppl don't use our freedom units
  • 6 months later...
BLACKRABBIT087

Well... This is also happening to me, and I have:

- EFT in a SSD

- Windows in a separate SSD

- 16 GB RAM

- Intel i9

- RTX2070 Super

So this is clearly not related to the 8 RAM or the SSD Drive...

DerStenz85

could be wrong pagefile settings or lots of other stuff - fire up the windows resource manager and watch storage monitor whats going on on your harddrive while playing tarkov (test in offline raid). 

Edited by DerStenz85