Peerun

Dynamic movement speed affected by environment

Peerun

The idea is that your movement speed would get changed based on what you're stepping on or about to step on, making the pace system an important interactive mechanic for moving in an optimal way at all times.

Examples:
Walking on loose ground like rocks, rubble or sand would automatically lower your movement speed.
Walking downhill would keep raising your movement speed the longer you continuously walk down. The steeper the slope, the faster the rate of change. Aswell as the slippyness.
Vice versa for going uphill. Steeper = going from fast to slow at a higher rate, more slippy = even higher rate.
Moving up to an obstacle that is only possible to step up on at a higher pace would automatically raise your pace to maintain a smooth walk, which might be unwanted if you're sneaking, therefore you need to be aware of what's below your feet.
I am sure you could come up with more things.

Actively interacting with the pace control, while experiencing any of the effects would level stats.

Examples:
Raising your speed manually while getting slowed down by an effect would level your Strength. The effect of the skill would be that you don't get affected so much, by those effects.
Raising your speed manually to step over an obstacle or maintaining low levels of pace for prolonged times(ie avoiding obstacles that raise your speed automatically) would level your Attention.
The effect of the skill would be reduced sound for the first few initial steps after getting automatically sped up (ie stepping over a log would be quiter as it is only 2 or 3 steps).
Another effect for Attention could be automatically returning your speed to the speed before you were affected, when the effect stops. (ie getting sped up when stepping over a log would then slow you back down where you were, when you are over the log)

I hope you consider something like this, if it's technologically viable. It would really enhance the dynamic of the game, in my opinion.

Edited by Peerun

Da_Ru55ian

There already is this mechanic to an extent when walking in swamps. However, I would say that there is so much already that needs to be added and fixed and ,as this is a relatively minor thing that takes a lot of effort, I doubt they will do this.

Peerun

The swamp thing is great. Actually what made me think of this to an extent. Maybe you're right, but here's hoping.