Olloch

Forum RPG General Discussion and Questions

Olloch

Please use this thread for General Questions and Discussion as it relates to the forum RPG. 

Sotar_Loreandel

Hello everyone,

many thanks for giving us the opportunity to roleplay in Tarkov. Much appreciated.  Before I make any potentially deadly mistakes on behalf of my group, I have a couple of questions:

1) The first thing I did was buying some stuff. It landed in my hideout, while I seem to have started in-raid. Is there a way to access this stuff before I start exploring Tarkov?

2) Is the hideout in a specific location on the map?

3) What is the blue shield icon on the map? 

That's it for now.

Edited by Sotar_Loreandel
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

SlayerWR

I got a question:

1. Why hasn't a GM interacted with a single player yet? It's upsetting to have to wait so long for one turn. If this keeps up, what's the point in even playing?

Oranje
19 hours ago, Sotar_Loreandel said:

Hello everyone,

many thanks for giving us the opportunity to roleplay in Tarkov. Much appreciated.  Before I make any potentially deadly mistakes on behalf of my group, I have a couple of questions:

1) The first thing I did was buying some stuff. It landed in my hideout, while I seem to have started in-raid. Is there a way to access this stuff before I start exploring Tarkov?

That's it for now.

1. As far as i understand, by making a group and selecting a spawn point, you are no longer considered to be in your hideout, but "in travel" so thats the reason you cannot pick up your items.

2. Yeah, no idea on this one, i am going to assume that the hideout is not on the map.

3. These are your spawn points, again, as far as i get it.

2 hours ago, SlayerWR said:

I got a question:

1. Why hasn't a GM interacted with a single player yet? It's upsetting to have to wait so long for one turn. If this keeps up, what's the point in even playing?

Yeah, i made a similar remark in the Romp bar earlier (before this thread existed) and it was removed, the GM (Olloch) did respond to a few people in the Event thread, since i don't know who's who, i can't say if it was favoritism (which seems unlikely) or if they where simply the first people to enter the RPG.

I was a little dissapointed that my entry in the Game thread was, well, ignored, and my group disbanded so i had to remake it (un-objectively i really think i had one of the better entries.)

Now for my own gripe, i am getting the feeling that if i simply write my guy to be a crack commando, and then write an entry in the event forum that i simply walk around and find random AKs and weapons, this will be allowed.

Having played DnD before, i am used to generally describing my actions, and the GM taking those as a guideline, and here its more like, do whatever you want, just describe the events minutely, and all the GMs do is decide the quality of the stuff you describe picking up.

And yes, i i would have expected a little more, well, activity on the part of the GMs too, so far there only seems to be one, and (no offense intended, i don't know what BSG expect from you on this front Olloch) so far he's been responding to this as if it's something he's doing on his free time, which he has very little of.

The communication around this whole thing could really use some improvement.

Edited by Oranje
  • Upvote 1

Sotar_Loreandel

First of all, thanks Oranje for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding my questions.

As far as "reaction time" of the GM goes, please keep in mind it is weekend now, so perhaps the GM(s) work(s) only within the office hours in their timezone, so I would not be worried at this stage. Ultimately, play-by-forum RPGs generally aren't of the fastest paced type out there, patience is a virtue here. Of course, I would love to see it progress myself as well.

39 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Now for my own gripe, i am getting the feeling that if i simply write my guy to be a crack commando, and then write an entry in the event forum that i simply walk around and find random AKs and weapons, this will be allowed.

Having played DnD before, i am used to generally describing my actions, and the GM taking those as a guideline, and here its more like, do whatever you want, just describe the events minutely, and all the GMs do is decide the quality of the stuff you describe picking up.

As for that part, I hope you are wrong. As far as I understand the idea of the game-flow from the docs, it is as follows:

1. The Group leader selects and describes actions to perform by using the "manage group" option in the game panel, by selecting the actions, formation, etc in the proper form and commenting with more details. One should describe how one attempts those actions, rather than god-moding the effects.
  2. Using their tools and guidelines, a GM then describes the results of those attempts in the "Events" topic.
  3. The group members post a descriptive, RP-like version of those effects, adding some drama, dialogue, etc as needed, but keeping strictly within the frames described by the GM. They use another, designated topic for that, the one called "Game".
  4. Rinse and repeat, back to point 1, assuming the player is stil alive.

I do not know how to return to the hideout though, to break out from this loop for a moment, and what happens if someone "misses" their turn by not declaring their actions in time ... and if there is a time-frame at all. That would be good to make clear as well.

Edited by Sotar_Loreandel
cleanup and logic
  • Upvote 1

Oranje
45 minutes ago, Sotar_Loreandel said:

First of all, thanks Oranje for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding my questions.

As for that part, I hope you are wrong. As far as I understand the idea of the game-flow from the docs, it is as follows:

My pleasure, i hope this is something else i enjoy, with a "Tarkovy" feel to it.

As for my fears, looking at some of the character descriptions, i really hope i'm wrong.

Olloch

Hello all,

Moves tentatively will be calculated on Mondays and Thursdays.

On 2/3/2018 at 5:34 AM, Oranje said:

As for my fears, looking at some of the character descriptions, i really hope i'm wrong

The application may post in the "new player" section without worry. But rest assured I personally review each application and must approve or reject before they may it in game.

See this thread: 

Olloch
On 2/3/2018 at 4:08 AM, Oranje said:

so far he's been responding to this as if it's something he's doing on his free time, which he has very little of.

Accurate. There is a limit on the number of groups, and probably always will be. I can manage this, I just got over 200 applications to read through. some bugs to work out, and a lack of experience with the tools.

ITS ONLY GONNA GET BETTER BOYSIES

On 2/3/2018 at 2:05 AM, SlayerWR said:

Why hasn't a GM interacted with a single player yet?

Can you be more specific? Please see events section:

Oranje
16 minutes ago, Olloch said:

Accurate. There is a limit on the number of groups, and probably always will be. I can manage this, I just got over 200 applications to read through. some bugs to work out, and a lack of experience with the tools.

ITS ONLY GONNA GET BETTER BOYSIES

I would love to offer you some help, but i'm not sure if i can be of any use (as said, i have a little DnD experience)

Hopefully things will be looking up a little.

SgtDalton

Great job all who have put in the work to get this up and going.. 

Question I do have  is how would one become a GM? Having years and years of experience as a DM/GM in DND and as a player would love to try...   Also in a different time zone would be beneficial to the project no? Having said that I would love to help in anyway I can thanks 

Sotar_Loreandel
On 2/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, Sotar_Loreandel said:

Hey Olloch, I would love to get an official answer to these questions, please, when you get a moment. So far only Oranje has answered and he knows as much as me, pretty much. Those were semi-educated guesses.

And a follow-up question:

4) How does one go back to the hideout?

Thanks.

Olloch
1 hour ago, Sotar_Loreandel said:

I seem to have started in-raid. Is there a way to access this stuff before I start exploring Tarkov?

You can leave the raid and return to your hideout to shop. I believe you can do this via dismiss group

Is the hideout in a specific location on the map?

"hideout" isnt exactly on the map. You can start in two locations for the raid.

What is the blue shield icon on the map?

Its either the area where you start or your own icon after moves are calculated.

I don't know much about the player side considering I haven't really got to play :)

zpym0519

how do i join a group? and how do i even play this game? my character was approved and i am just starting at my game panel and don't know what to do.

FatherFenrir
1 hour ago, zpym0519 said:

how do i join a group? and how do i even play this game? my character was approved and i am just starting at my game panel and don't know what to do.

Its text based, so your moves are always going to be in text along with your description of actions. Right now there is a limited amount of groups to be able to play so you will have to do a little RP at the Romp Bar and hope to join up with a group at some point going into the city. There is GMs that are going to calculate and return move stats and set the pace of your particular game. 

FatherFenrir

Kind of trailing off here but I noticed the other topic titled "Describing your moves" and read it has me immensely worried about the amount of power gaming that might take effect.

Player: @UncleDark
Move/Search

Hide contents

After covering my tracks I decided to cross the highway. While crossing the highway I happened upon corpse of one of those Russian pmc's, still clutching to his some what beat up aksu-74. "I need to properly check the state of this gun after i've found some shelter" I thought to myself while relinquishing that poor soul of his gun and tactical rig. After checking his pockets for any coffee I noticed that it was well past midday already. "Seems like I need to speed up and head to houses at AT-01 in order to find more coffee, suplies and perhaps even some protective gear." I muttered. Once I got close to the first house I could smell that some bastard had already found some coffee. I had grown increasingly irritated due to lack of coffee, thus without thinking a another thought I slammed a fresh clip into my new aks and charged straight inside the house, while only thinking about getting my hands on some fresh brew no matter the cost.

Move/Search

Search

Hide contents

After hurting my leg, I was certain that lady luck had abandoned me, but finding that can of coffee proved that this fickle lady was only toying with me as she always did. In attempt to please her I offered few of my precious coffee beans, before heading out once again. This time I decided to be more carefull and focus on searching the highway as I saw what seemed to be a scene of somewhat recent firefight in middle of the highway.

Thinking to myself "This seems to be too good to be true." I decided to aproach the scene as quietly as I could. "Ok in and out quickly and quietly, I only hope that my offering pleased the lady"

The underlined parts are from the player. He is setting up his own scenes and has even gave himself AK-74U. This is what I know as Power Gaming and is not in my opinion good RP. I will be watching on a bit more and seeing how this progresses but at the moment seeing this has me pretty afraid of jumping into a group and really diving into this. 

UncleDark

@FatherFenrir This is due the fact that I wasn't sure about which style of RP we are using, so GM's first event reply hapened before I edited my post and I didn't notice it. I did go around and "fix" it with edit notes but seems like they missed it. after that i added this part to my first post

At this point I snap awake realising that it all was just a dream, and that I had infact fallen asleep right after my morning coffee. Cursing at myself for wasting few hours, I scurry out in hurry to find something usefull and to make up lost time.

So players have freedom of giving a hint on what they hapen upon. IE for my latest encounter I did infact happen upon a scene of firefight and this is how GM described it.

Wanderer's Coffee club - 

Action: Search
Result: Success

Universal Cartridge, Experience 20

After two days of wandering through the forest you emerge on a highway. To your right, the city of Tarkov, to your left, the border and almost certain death. You decide to stop and survey the scene of a grizzly firefight. 

You think to yourself "Why does everyone seem to have a gun but me?"

You're standing over a man, you're no doctor but he looks very very dead. You give him a soft kick in the ribs just to be sure. You squat down and begin to search his pockets. You immediately realize whatever he was carrying must have been looted sometime ago. You notice a slight bulge near his ankle. You assume its some kind of boot knife or ankle pistol. Pulling up his pant leg you notice some kind of inject-able drug. The medical kind, not the recreational kind, you think anyway. After all, you're no doctor.

So yes it's more of a traditional RP, with some chance for players to affect/trigger on events.

Edit: Additionally so far I've only found 4 bullets of 5.45 caliber and some universal cartridge type of injection drug. I'm not even sure about said drug as it could be dangerous, some sort of recreational drug or it could be medicine, as my character has no experience on that field.

Edit2: Also if you also are cafeine junkie, do give me a heads up. So we can make some funny situations in force over in tarkov. Game phase is slow but atleast you won't have to stress about missing day or two in real life.

Edited by UncleDark

zpym0519
3 hours ago, FatherFenrir said:

Its text based, so your moves are always going to be in text along with your description of actions. Right now there is a limited amount of groups to be able to play so you will have to do a little RP at the Romp Bar and hope to join up with a group at some point going into the city. There is GMs that are going to calculate and return move stats and set the pace of your particular game. 

and where is romp bar? i'm really confused and frustrated because i have no idea on what to do. 

Olloch
6 hours ago, UncleDark said:

So players have freedom of giving a hint on what they hapen upon. IE for my latest encounter I did infact happen upon a scene of firefight and this is how GM described it.

There is a limit to this, as a GM I always try to use 'Yes and' instead of no.

If a player says something like "I find an AK47"

I would probably write, "And its horribly broken beyond repair and completely unusable"

• Upvote 1

SgtDalton
9 hours ago, zpym0519 said:

and where is romp bar? i'm really confused and frustrated because i have no idea on what to do. 

Hey dude the Romp Bar is a thread in the forums....a little RP may get you just what your looking for! 

Oranje
5 hours ago, Olloch said:

There is a limit to this, as a GM I always try to use 'Yes and' instead of no.

If a player says something like "I find an AK47"

I would probably write, "And its horribly broken beyond repair and completely unusable"

Thanks for putting these fears to rest.

Can i ask for a further clarification perhaps?

I saw a really well written, and specific character being created, now mine was ok at best.

If for example this character who is head of a security firm, and has 400 confirmed kills and mine would meet, and it comes to a fight (fairly even, say unarmed hand to hand) 

To resolve this, would you give an advantage to the well written character, or resolve this purely based on the stats visible on the character screen?

* i would expect the character with explicit prior combat experience to have an advantage, so i wouldn't be upset over it.

But it would mean i am going to have to re-write my character to be more effective.

Edited by Oranje

FatherFenrir

@UncleDark I get what your saying, just the overall way it read out just put me off. I know this is all still in somewhat of a testing phase so I am not faulting anyone, I was stating what I had said to hopefully understand and offer feedback from my own personal RP experiences. Seeing @Olloch 's response helps puts me more at ease.

My worry overall was when I get into a group and actually do go on a raid, I just don't want one of the players directing specific scenes or have it playing out according to their specific idea of how it should go, rather than the GM setting scenes and scenarios while we as a team or ourselves makes the best out of it. I hope you understand what I am saying.

As for your caffeine junkie question, as much as my persona I will be directing enjoys a hot cup of joe in the morning or a cold night. I am afraid he wouldn't go ballistic. He, however, he does hold his faith/spiritual path in pretty high regard and I am looking forward to portraying that to its fullest.

@zpym0519 Romp Bar <--- Link right there bud, hop in there, do a little RP and get your feet wet. Just read the peoples in there already for examples. Remember everything in there is IC (In Character). 

FatherFenrir

If for example this character who is head of a security firm, and has 400 confirmed kills and mine would meet, and it comes to a fight (fairly even, say unarmed hand to hand) 

To resolve this, would you give an advantage to the well written character, or resolve this purely based on the stats visible on the character screen?

Good question, I am also curious about how this pans out.

* i wouldn't be upset about any answer, but it would mean i'd have to reconsider my  character and re-write him a little.

Wait you can re-write stuff on your character after the creation? :besuspicious: 

• Upvote 1

Oranje
1 hour ago, FatherFenrir said:

Good question, I am also curious about how this pans out.

Wait you can re-write stuff on your character after the creation? :besuspicious: 

Well, its a forum post, which i can edit to my hearts desire.

And unless the GM saved my post somehow, how would he know my guy went from anemic newb to John Wick?

(In case you meant the str/end/acc traits or class, i think you'd have to somehow meet your demise first)

Edited by Oranje

Olloch
4 hours ago, Oranje said:

* i would expect the character with explicit prior combat experience to have an advantage, so i wouldn't be upset over it

Nope, It would go based of stats and characters descriptions of their actions.

Everyone is already the 6'2 spec ops sniper. Theres no need to incentivize people to create even more wacky killing machines.

While a PMC should have some advantage over a character with no military training, I just can't bring myself to punish people for not being a 'sniper with over 300 confirmed kills'

Good roleplay and a believable character might earn you some bonus exp or some other, and I'd be more inclined to throw quests your way.

• Hot 1

Oranje
35 minutes ago, Olloch said:

Nope, It would go based of stats and characters descriptions of their actions.

Everyone is already the 6'2 spec ops sniper. Theres no need to incentivize people to create even more wacky killing machines.

While a PMC should have some advantage over a character with no military training, I just can't bring myself to punish people for not being a 'sniper with over 300 confirmed kills'

Good roleplay and a believable character might earn you some bonus exp or some other, and I'd be more inclined to throw quests your way.

That's really very comforting to read, and kind of exactly how i hoped it would be.

I think i am going to enjoy this.

b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2