RainDiax

1440p possible with my rig?

RainDiax

Hi Community :)

I‘m about to plan to buy a 1440p monitor and I‘m asking myself: will the game on high/ultra settings still on 60 fps? Heres my rig:

Intel i7 6700k @ 4 x 4Ghz

32GB DDR4 RAM

msi GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G

Maybe some people of you have a comparable rig and a 1440p monitor. I‘d aprreciate if you’d share your experience with me  :)  Thank you.

Maki_Nishikino

Most likely not a constant 60 FPS. Not because of your rig but because of the lack of optimization. I have a 760 and get better performace than some 1080 users.  This game is CPU bound, I have an i7-4790 and that can boost to 4 GHz. I'm not getting a constant 60 FPS though, I can tell you that. I also have 16 GB of DDR4 RAM and the game eats almost 90% at times.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

GasT79

I use Nvidia DSR to scale up to 1440p and actually have better fps then on 1080p, i have a i7 4790k, 16gb ddr3 2400mhz and the same GPU..

I dont run all on Ultra but upscaling to 1440p looks a hell of a lot better even on a 1080p monitor.

Its really only Shoreline i struggle with but so does everyone else.

Edit: Upscaling seems to only make the game use more of the GPU from what it looks like for me.

Edited by GasT79

Maki_Nishikino
3 minutes ago, GasT79 said:

I use Nvidia DSR to scale up to 1440p and actually have better fps then on 1080p, i have a i7 4790k, 16gb ddr3 2400mhz and the same GPU..

I dont run all on Ultra but upscaling to 1440p looks a hell of a lot better even on a 1080p monitor.

Its really only Shoreline i struggle with but so does everyone else.

Edit: Upscaling seems to only make the game use more of the GPU from what it looks like for me.

This is only needed right now because of the lack of proper anti-aliasing, when we get it you can ditch DSR for the game.

RainDiax

I looked on YouTube and on most videos the people still get 60+ fps :o Thats why im wondering. I really would like to play on real 1440p but not if I only get 30 fps then :/ 

GasT79
Just now, RainDiax said:

I looked on YouTube and on most videos the people still get 60+ fps :o Thats why im wondering. I really would like to play on real 1440p but not if I only get 30 fps then :/ 

Why not try and set your Nvidia setting to DSR x1.78 and ingame resolution to 1440p and try?

Maki_Nishikino
6 minutes ago, RainDiax said:

It's really hit or miss, at the moment to be guaranteed to run this game at 60 FPS constantly on pretty high settings you need a very powerful PC. Like I said, having a 10 card alone does not cut it, CPU matters a lot more which is why I get better FPS than some with 10 cards with my 760.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

RainDiax
vor 43 Minuten schrieb Maki_Nishikino:

It's really hit or miss, at the moment to be guaranteed to run this game at 60 FPS constantly on pretty high settings you need a very powerful PC. Like I said, having a 10 card alone does not cut it, CPU matters a lot more which is why I get better FPS than some with 10 cards with my 760.

My CPU isn‘t that problem... I can easily overclock mine to 4.5Ghz. My CPU is on 35% of usage and my GPU und about 55% and I‘m getting 60 fps kinda easy :/ most time on Customs i have 75+ fps.

Maki_Nishikino
11 minutes ago, RainDiax said:

My CPU isn‘t that problem... I can easily overclock mine to 4.5Ghz. My CPU is on 35% of usage and my GPU und about 55% and I‘m getting 60 fps kinda easy :/ most time on Customs i have 75+ fps.

What is the resolution of your monitor now, 1080p?

bUm805

Yeah, you should be fine with running it.

I have the same setup except my card is the evga 1080 ftw 3 (not much different) and i'm running two asus PG278Q which is the 144hz 2560x1440 monitors with settings at ultra almost fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RainDiax
vor einer Stunde schrieb Maki_Nishikino:

What is the resolution of your monitor now, 1080p?

Now im running it on a 21:9 monitor (2560x1080) and set on 1920x1080 :)

Maki_Nishikino
27 minutes ago, RainDiax said:

Now im running it on a 21:9 monitor (2560x1080) and set on 1920x1080 :)

Go for it, I wasn't expecting it to be running that well for you.

nelly99
2 hours ago, RainDiax said:

i run at 2560x1440 res and its fine for me on my 4k monitor, gtx1070 i7 8700k 16gb ddr4, in game menu press the key above the tab key and type fps 1 to turn on or fps 0 to turn off the info top right of screen, you will soon find out how your rig does, also i used to run fallout 4 on a 750 ti with 16gb ram on an i7 3770k at 2560x1440 and was running 95% of the time above 30-50 frames with high settings, raw power helps but you can get a lot more out of your hardware than you realise on lower specs.....

MugsPH
3 hours ago, GasT79 said:

Why not try and set your Nvidia setting to DSR x1.78 and ingame resolution to 1440p and try?

Hi! I'm curios with your statement. May I know how this is done?

Luckers

If you put all the graphic settings on low, you should be getting 60fps. The real question though is if you want to play on such low settings just to get less jaggies.

I got a 1050Ti / 1080p monitor and if I use DSR on 1440p I get roughly about 45fps on shoreline and 60 on factory

GasT79
13 minutes ago, MugsPH said:

Hi! I'm curios with your statement. May I know how this is done?

dsr-nvidia-control-panel-scaling-factors

If your Native resolution is 1080p then chose 1,78x, then ingame you change to 1440p.

RainDiax

Okay... I used DSR and changed it to 1.78x
Because I have an ultrawide monitor, there is no 2560x1440 setting for me :( BUT... I tried it out on 3413x1440p which is even higher then just 2560x1440p... This is what comes out on ultra settings on Customs... Should I go for a 1440p monitor or not? What do you think?

2018-02-03[13-43]_-142.5, 3.8, 1.9_-0.1, -0.7, 0.1, -0.7 (0).png

2018-02-03[13-44]_-145.3, 3.8, 1.9_0.0, -0.9, 0.1, 0.5 (0).png

2018-02-03[13-47]_-144.9, 3.8, 1.1_0.1, -0.9, 0.1, 0.5 (0).png

GasT79
1 hour ago, RainDiax said:

Okay... I used DSR and changed it to 1.78x
Because I have an ultrawide monitor, there is no 2560x1440 setting for me :( BUT... I tried it out on 3413x1440p which is even higher then just 2560x1440p... This is what comes out on ultra settings on Customs... Should I go for a 1440p monitor or not? What do you think?

2018-02-03[13-43]_-142.5, 3.8, 1.9_-0.1, -0.7, 0.1, -0.7 (0).png

2018-02-03[13-44]_-145.3, 3.8, 1.9_0.0, -0.9, 0.1, 0.5 (0).png

2018-02-03[13-47]_-144.9, 3.8, 1.1_0.1, -0.9, 0.1, 0.5 (0).png

How does it feel for you when your are playing? Does it feel good then go, i cant see why your hardware shouldnt be able to handle it.

If i was to go for a new monitor today i would certainly go for a 144hz 1440p panel but never go for a ultra wide cause im a old school TN panel lover..

• Like 1

RainDiax
vor 5 Minuten schrieb GasT79:

im a old school TN panel lover..

It acutally felt pretty weird, but just because my monitor can't scale that correctly. TN is actually a problem for me, because I'm using a IPS panel for many years now. If I look to a TN panel I'm gonna throw up :D Of course TN panels got much better response time. But the color quality is just crap ._. Sure I'd love to go for a 144hz 1440p IPS monitor... But they are rediculous expensive here in Germany. If I look on Amazon and co. they start at about 500€ which is ~ 530$. I found a monitor with 75hz, IPS and 1440p for around 260€.  

DanExert

Long story short no one is getting the performance they would expect from their hardware because the game is not finished and/or optimised yet. As @Maki_Nishikinosays the 10 cards (which I have also) are performing in some cases worse than 9 and below. There is a huge issue with under-utilisation of hardware at the moment due to how the game is handling everything. EFT as it stands is very CPU-heavy.

I would however recommend that you do not change your hardware specifically for this game, although if you will use that hardware with other games and still benefit from it then go ahead. We've seen cases of the best graphics and processors you can imagine, getting only ~50% utilisation each and still struggling to maintain 60fps, simply because the game isn't optimised yet.

Maki_Nishikino
3 minutes ago, DanExert said:

Long story short no one is getting the performance they would expect from their hardware because the game is not finished and/or optimised yet. As @Maki_Nishikinosays the 10 cards (which I have also) are performing in some cases worse than 9 and below. There is a huge issue with under-utilisation of hardware at the moment due to how the game is handling everything. EFT as it stands is very CPU-heavy.

I would however recommend that you do not change your hardware specifically for this game, although if you will use that hardware with other games and still benefit from it then go ahead. We've seen cases of the best graphics and processors you can imagine, getting only ~50% utilisation each and still struggling to maintain 60fps, simply because the game isn't optimised yet.

Which is why I am not going to get a 1070 or 1080. All of my other games run fine on my 760. A 760 should be able to run this game with a very good framerate on high settings with no issues, I have a great CPU, the game is just not optimised.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

DanExert
3 minutes ago, Maki_Nishikino said:

Which is why I am not going to get a 1070 or 1080. All of my other games run fine on my 760. A 760 should be able to run this game with a very good framerate on high settings with no issues, I have a great CPU, the game is just not optimised.

Precisely mate :) 

To answer the OP though:

From a hardware perspective - yes, you should have no problems whatsoever

From a realistic, game-testing perspective on an unoptimised game - who knows lol. If you're gonna get it just get it, you'll be happy with your purchase either way :P 

Edit: Although as already mentioned, upscaling to 1440p with current monitor would possibly be the best way to benchmark your settings

Edited by DanExert
  • Like 1

RainDiax
vor 5 Minuten schrieb DanExert:

I would however recommend that you do not change your hardware specifically for this game, although if you will use that hardware with other games and still benefit from it then go ahead. 

Thats it ^^ I'm not just playing EfT. I'm also playing many other titles as Arma, GTA, Total War series and so on... And I probably think this games could profit from an 1440p monitor. The one I'm looking for is a 23.8" monitor. On this screen size with THAT resolution I probably could turn off every kind of anti aliasing in any games. That would compromise that resolution a little bit.

RainDiax
vor 2 Minuten schrieb DanExert:

Edit: Although as already mentioned, upscaling to 1440p with current monitor would possibly be the best way to benchmark your settings

I already did that and came up on 70+ frames on customs with a DSR resolution of 3413x1440p :) I think I'm gonna go for it. However I still keep my old monitor as second monitor (better for streaming :P). And if there is a game on which one my hardware is struggleing, I can use my "old" monitor then and play on FHD on that :)

Also in a few months I'm going for a second GTX 1080 and THEN there shouldn't be ANY problem with ANY games :D Except the "poorly optimized" ones :P:D 

Okay... Thank you guys very much :) Maybe someone of you has a good tip for a 24" 1440p IPS monitor? shouldn't cost more then 300€... Just asking :D 

• Like 1

DanExert
2 minutes ago, RainDiax said:

poorly optimized

I never said poorly optimised, I said un-optimised as in 'not yet optimised'

Let's give the devs a chance hey ;) 

Best of luck with your setup mate

• Like 1