twisted89

Upgrade to Unity 2018

twisted89

So the new upcoming Unity version 2018 has a long awaited upgrade to the C# job system (https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/7lhmcq/unitys_new_multithreaded_ecs_system_coming_2018/) which should greatly improve multithread performance.

It's no secret that this game has some serious CPU performance issues, I'm just curious what the devs plans are for upgrading to this new Unity release and for taking advantage of better access to CPU's with multiple cores?

• Upvote 1

ComradeBurris
1 minute ago, twisted89 said:

So the new upcoming Unity version 2018 has a long awaited upgrade to the C# job system (https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/7lhmcq/unitys_new_multithreaded_ecs_system_coming_2018/) which should greatly improve multithread performance.

It's no secret that this game has some serious CPU performance issues, I'm just curious what the devs plans are for upgrading to this new Unity release and for taking advantage of better access to CPU's with multiple cores?

It's not as easy as it sounds this could impact development push it back who knows 6-7 months redoing all the stuff and porting it's just alot of work

PIG-Mathieu

Systems such as the blind fire system were showed back in early 2017 and got introduced only recently. IDK if the devs said anything about it, but i think it's linked to Unity problem related to such updates. The problem is that, even if this update would fixe a lot, the real question is : how much will it break ? And that' s something to consider.

Beginner314
1 minute ago, twisted89 said:

I doubt  they will upgrade. I don't really know unity (especially not the difference between the old and new version).

But an upgrade could mean to change a lot of different fundamental things (you would also not change the foundation of a finished built house).

twisted89
2 minutes ago, Babimko said:

It's not as easy as it sounds this could impact development push it back who knows 6-7 months redoing all the stuff and porting it's just alot of work

I never said it would be easy, I'm aware of the implications of updating systems during development, I was simply asking what the devs PLANS are. Staying on the current version just doesn't seem viable with it's current performance in this game. They'll essentially be locking potential customers out come release as they won't be able to run it.

Alvarness

They definitely need to address performance issues. And upgrading engine seems better option than changing engine.

• Like 1

Beginner314
9 minutes ago, twisted89 said:

I was simply asking what the devs PLANS are. 

Only the Devs will know. As far as I know, there has not been a statement (by the Devs) yet.

twisted89
1 minute ago, Beginner314 said:

Only the Devs will know. As far as I know, there has not been a statement (by the Devs) yet.

Why do you think I'm posting in the "For developers Questions" section??? 

FenrirInu

Hopefully they will. I wouldn't mind any kind of setback for better performance in the long term. They specifically said that they choose unity as the game's engine because they are familiar with it.

• Like 1

o0Cosmo0o

Livercheese
1 minute ago, o0Cosmo0o said:

this Demo is so Awesome

twisted89
7 minutes ago, o0Cosmo0o said:

5 minutes ago, Livercheese said:

this Demo is so Awesome

Yeah nice showcase but what they don't tell you is that it was probably running on 3 x Titan Xp's & a CORE I9 7980XE... 

Edited by twisted89

Livercheese

:begood:

GhostZ69

Q. Unity introduced an improved engine for the year 2018. Some features would definitely fit into the game, are you planning it?

A. We are rather fastidiously considering the possible migration to the new version of Unity 2018, because in our experience almost every migration entailed quite a number of issues. This always happens when moving from one version of the engine to another. We are planning to do it, but not right now.

Edited by GhostZ69

punisherlinux

just for curiosity, could be fine to know witch thecniques the developers are using to develop this game to talk properly. A great number of issues comes because the developer does not use unit testing or ATDD testing, i saw some redundant bug that indicate this, but talk is cheap. Also could be fine to know which arquitecture is using the backend, is not the same use a big monolith or a micro service system.

If you use testing you can migrate fast between versions because you can indentify fast witch part of code fail.

GreenLit

At 7:26 he says they told him they are preparing a update to the last stables version of unity whatever that means. 

Edited by GreenLit

VinnyXL
On 7.2.2018 at 6:43 PM, Beginner314 said:

I doubt  they will upgrade. I don't really know unity (especially not the difference between the old and new version).

But an upgrade could mean to change a lot of different fundamental things (you would also not change the foundation of a finished built house).

Oh you would be surprised, replacing a houses foundation is a thing and people do it all the time on all old houses. Bad example. :)

Of course its gonna take a lot of time, but with game performance right now, i dont think its a bad idea to try.
But im sure BSG knows whats good for it financially, and that will be the biggest factor in this decision, IMO.

necuja

#locked it seems you've found all the adequate answers that are available on this at this time :betoung: