Sign in to follow this  
Altblu

Unblacking limbs

Altblu

Greetings, after a discussion on the Reddit about the Grizzly and how it needs a buff to make it viable. I have thought of an idea for an unblacking med item, at this time the grizzly could serve the function. With the increased raid timer a blacked limb means time to extract with a lot of time remaining in most cases. I think that a 2x2 item that takes 15 seconds, gives pain debuff, unblack the limb, restoring to 10 hp, and costing 200. If the grizzly was used it would give 3 unblacked limbs and its current functions. Why I think this is a good idea, the grizzly currently serves no practical purpose, takes a lot of space, expensive and impractical to hotkey. The ability to unblack a limb would make a bad gunfight that you barely win a non-raid ender, and with the current extensions of raid times, the ability to use it would be appreciated. Also with the expense of grizzlies, it would make the Epsolone container a much more viable choice. This change would not affect the morphine meta except for post-battle spam of meds until extraction. A 15-second use would make it impractical for use in combat and adding the pain debuff would either make you use morphine or be completely sure of your safety. The durability uses of 200 was so the grizzly would heal at most 3 limbs which I feel that would be the max something of that size should heal. If you tried to unblack 3 limbs it would take 45 seconds to get them to 10hp each then add on the time for Ifaks or Salewas to max hp you would be out of combat for 2 minutes in a defensive posture. With the plans to slow down combat in EfT this seems acceptable. If this still seems unbalanced, an additional suggestion comes to mind when you use this unblackening grizzly or other item that dose this it takes 10hp or so off the top of that limbs health for the remainder of the raid instead of the current pill popping medkit spam. When the medical animations are in effect the unblacking grizzly would be an even better fit. I had a discussion on the Tarkov Reddit about this ( https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/7vs1yw/grizzly_medkit_desperately_needs_a_buff/dturnz0/ ) I would appreciate your opinions on this and Thank you for your time.

• Upvote 2

Altblu

Edit1: This idea is still a work in progress, and I am actively asking streamers and their chats for their opinions, I will be adding comments and notes from opinions I find constructive. 

Current question asked:"I would appreciate your opinion on this idea: in the current state of Tarkov the grizzly serves no practical purpose and I have a suggestion of an alt-function (or a new medical Item): for 200 durability on the grizzly(2-3 uses), taking 15 second, gives the pain debuff and restoring a blackened limb to 10hp, with maybe taking 10hp off the top of the now repaired limb."

Replies:

"For something so powerful it should be 1-2 at most, it should be something precious"

"15 seconds for a blacked out limb?! maybe but maybe longer" 

"I like the idea of a way to get back into the fight, instead of being forced to extract"

I have been told about previous attempts to get a similar idea in the past using regular medkits 30 seconds and 200 points for the first point while halving the limbs max health. This idea would be a cheaper alternative to my 2x2 dedicated item idea. My goal is giving a hard choice item for its space, and or a hail mary item if you pick it up from a med chest.

"make it expensive, make it rare, we need something to fix blacked out limbs" 

At this point, I am starting to think a 2 time use 2x2 new item might be the better idea, than converting the grizzly to my idea.

Refined proposal: A new 2x2 2 time use item, that restores a blacked limb to 10 hp after 30 seconds under the Pain debuff, and removing 10hp off the top. The price of this should be an trade item, probably a grizzly, and 2 Ifaks.

Altblu

Proposal: A new 2x2 Triage, 2-time use item, that restores a blacked limb to 10 hp after 30 seconds under the Pain debuff, and removing 10hp off the top. Also accompanying this item should be a debuff for truly devastated limbs. 

I had an interesting conversation about blacked limbs and the significance of it. The black limb debuff in the current iteration means damaged beyond repair, may it be from a bullet or a grenade or falling from a roof. In this conversation, we discussed the Item to cure blackened limbs, and the current morphine and ifak/ salewa spam meta. What we came up with was a Debuff for truely devastated limbs that no amount of field medicine could help with. An example of this is you living after grenade blasts your leg to pulp, pain pills, and field medicine would be completely ineffective. 

Also, other alternatives to my item idea were suggested like making limbs harder to black and the forthcoming leg armor. An example of how to make blacking out limbs more difficult would be to give the last few HP have its own damage reduction bypassed by bleeding, that would assist in the instant black limbs and slow deaths by enough margin to react.

Tmoore4007

I like this idea. The leg meta blows when it happens during your first firefight 

trey32003

very nice. maybe also make blackened limbs not as horrible, to make them not so meta

Captain_Kzer

I posted a thread about this last week.

I think making the grizzly a do-all medical item is a decent idea, but I'd supplement your idea with this: Allow splints to perform the function as well minus the general healing ability. If splints could unblack a limb and put it back to 1 health they would actually be useful because in the game's current state they are virtually useless. 

Additionally, because splints are a relatively common medical item, if this function was given to  splints and a person without the right medical gear got a blacked out limb they would have the option to search the nearby area for a splint or grab one off a scav instead of running to extract on pain meds or waddling to the exit if their painkillers run out. 

Shmickel
7 minutes ago, Captain_Kzer said:

I think making the grizzly a do-all medical item is a decent idea, but I'd supplement your idea with this: Allow splints to perform the function as well minus the general healing ability. If splints could unblack a limb and put it back to 1 health they would actually be useful because in the game's current state they are virtually useless. 

Agreed. At a point they should just add to your health status when a limb is blacken it should be consider broken. So if you want to run, get a splint, you want to climb a ladder or hit harder but your arms are done, get a splint, you want to stop coughing and see clearly because everything is red and had more stamina into your bar, get a pill/morphine.

Who knows, maybe when all the other health status like the heart rate and blood pressure comes out, all the other options will be recheck and balance.

• Like 1

Metalaggression

I like this idea but I'd like to see the penalty for loosing the limbs remain, example: your leg gets blown off, you fix it but you still limp without antibiotics

• Upvote 1