What Actions Can We Take To Remove Cheaters?

SlayerWR

I'm not here to complain about dying to cheaters.

I'm here to do something about it, and make companies that distribute cheats suffer.

Video games have been here for the longest time to entertain people. Some play them to have fun with their friends, some play competitively in professional leagues. For the fortunate, some even play games as their job, and source of income. 

What if people could gain an unfair advantage over others, ruining their experience and for some, their reputation or loss of profit?

We all know what these are, they are called "hacked clients." People use them for personal enjoyment, or to compensate for their lack of skill in a game. Some are free, others come with higher quality at a price. Regardless of how you obtain them, almost anyone with a reasonable sense of logic can interpret these clients as having an advantage over others. These clients can be justified as unfair.

While some use these for singleplayer games, many use them to be able to compete against other players in online games. Escape From Tarkov will be my example, and is why I'm currently writing this to see what people think. EFT is a competitive FPS that has a very harsh punishment for death - the loss of your items. What if you lost your hard-earned progress to a person who could see you through a wall half a mile away, and seemingly shot through it and killed you, leaving you baffled and disappointed? 

EFT is not the only game to experience cheaters. Many games like CS:GO, Fortnite Battle Royale, PUBG, and other titles have hackers - in fact, every single game does. Companies that develop cheats sell them on their websites for a price, and many people buy them, wanting that extra bar above their rivals. The worst part is - not only the players that are forced into combat with these cheaters have to experience the harsh taste of death, but so do the companies that own the game. With all of these cheating organizations advertising their cheats on YouTube and other social media, many new players to the game are un-enticed and drawn away by the thought of players being able to annihilate others by using these. This is a double edged sword - meaning that either people will not purchase the game with the fear of having to deal with cheaters, or they will be enticed to buy it so they can purchase the cheats to then use against others (the latter being the less picked, of course). This, in general, hurts game sales. Much like how one company would disdain another in an advertisement claiming how their product is better than the competitor's, hacked client sales and ads tarnish the reputation of the game they are directed to.

Almost every game takes measures into eliminating these cheaters, like EFT. Some games are more effective than others. One of the poor ones, in my personal opinion, would be CS:GO. But, I digress. 

The argument I'm trying to make is: Could hacked clients be outlawed for "the slander of a company's reputation?" 

The argument makes sense, and could very well be considered. I want to know YOUR thoughts on this. Please spread this on the forum so that more may see. 

I wanted to report a guy "xxxx" for hacking but don't know where. I guess I'll just leave his name here. He was moving break neck speeds with no walking animation with unlimited bullets non stop shooting.

Edited by hidden_citizen
Naming Shaming
hidden_citizen

Thank you for raising this concern. However, at the moment Battlestate does not accept reports implicating cheaters. The main reason why is that there simply are too many issues that aren't related to cheats being reported that take up valuable support time. Escape From Tarkov does have a cheat detection system that detects cheats, and all cheaters will be banned. 

Please also avoid accusing other players by inserting their names into posts such as this. I have removed any post content that contains a name being implied as a cheater.

2 hours ago, hidden_citizen said:

Thank you for raising this concern. However, at the moment Battlestate does not accept reports implicating cheaters. The main reason why is that there simply are too many issues that aren't related to cheats being reported that take up valuable support time. Escape From Tarkov does have a cheat detection system that detects cheats, and all cheaters will be banned. 

Please also avoid accusing other players by inserting their names into posts such as this. I have removed any post content that contains a name being implied as a cheater.

Do you maybe have any statistics on how many cheaters does the anti-cheat catch etc? It would be interesting to know, since paywall for cheaters is much bigger than for games like CSGO etc.

hidden_citizen

BSG does not discuss the workings and internals of the anti-cheat system for obvious reasons. But they have made some posts regarding a list of banned accounts, such as this one

• Like 1

What is classified as cheating and not cheating at this point in the beta? Since we have a increasing sum of players using a glitch based on the netcode i.e placing guns inside the containers with them still able to use them, what is BSG going to do about these exploits on a daily?

• Upvote 1