Sign in to follow this  
chickenburger89

Balancing

chickenburger89

Every time I get into a game I get killed by someone who has better loot than me (i.e. fully auto silenced ARs). How on earth am I supposed to compete with that? I am usually pretty good about being situationally aware, but that can only go so far when the other players are simply more experienced and have better gear. How am I supposed to improve at the game and get better stuff when I am constantly getting killed within two minutes of spawning in by someone with no life who plays this game nonstop every single time?

Honestly, a simple balancing change in the matchmaking would go a long way. Simply put PMCs in a game where the other players have similar loot to themselves. I get that its supposed to be realistic but sometimes its better to sacrifice realism for playability and enjoyment. New players would feel like they have a fighting chance and veterans would feel a level of intensity not felt by running around and shooting scavs and new spawns with pistols or shotguns.

Perhaps there is a better way to do it, but I propose that each mod or weapon or piece of gear be given an invisible rating (lets call it player rating, or PR), that, when all of the PR of the gear on a PMC are added together plus another PR number that scales with the players level (to account for the player's experience), gives the total PR and the player is then put into a match where the other players have a similar PR. Like I said, there could be a better way of doing it, but that's just what I suggest.

I really want to like this game. But I have played it for hours upon hours, and I always end up right back where I began, with practically nothing. And I fear that if something doesn't change soon I am going to break something expensive...

MrDooks
1 hour ago, chickenburger89 said:

Every time I get into a game I get killed by someone who has better loot than me (i.e. fully auto silenced ARs). How on earth am I supposed to compete with that? I am usually pretty good about being situationally aware, but that can only go so far when the other players are simply more experienced and have better gear. How am I supposed to improve at the game and get better stuff when I am constantly getting killed within two minutes of spawning in by someone with no life who plays this game nonstop every single time?

Honestly, a simple balancing change in the matchmaking would go a long way. Simply put PMCs in a game where the other players have similar loot to themselves. I get that its supposed to be realistic but sometimes its better to sacrifice realism for playability and enjoyment. New players would feel like they have a fighting chance and veterans would feel a level of intensity not felt by running around and shooting scavs and new spawns with pistols or shotguns.

Perhaps there is a better way to do it, but I propose that each mod or weapon or piece of gear be given an invisible rating (lets call it player rating, or PR), that, when all of the PR of the gear on a PMC are added together plus another PR number that scales with the players level (to account for the player's experience), gives the total PR and the player is then put into a match where the other players have a similar PR. Like I said, there could be a better way of doing it, but that's just what I suggest.

I really want to like this game. But I have played it for hours upon hours, and I always end up right back where I began, with practically nothing. And I fear that if something doesn't change soon I am going to break something expensive...

Feel your pain but it’s not going to happen. What map are you playing? Are you spawning late? Those things you can influence and make a big difference. Try and change your play style and make it work instead of just doing the same thing. Amount of players I kill at the start of a round in the first 5 min is huge. They just sprint to the nearest loot and don’t play smart. Listen and learn the spawn areas and you can guess where people are moving to  

You don’t need a similar gear score to have a fighting chance. Fighting chance sucks cause you might loose. You need to place yourself in a situation where it’s unfair for the other guy before you engage. Get the jump on someone looting. Set an ambush on a choke point. Be smart. Tarkov isn’t easy. 

ScrubaSteve

I don't see a problem with the way the game is. I've had many times where I was using an ak74u and have killed multiple guys using fort and fast and guns like you say. I don't think it's the game that needs to change. Maybe rethink how you are approaching these guys or try out some different ammo(makes a huge difference). 

cribbit

The DPS of guns are within the margin of error of reaction time vs time to kill. 

I regularly kill fort/fast/m4 guys with an unsilenced, stock mods AK 74u and paca. I often kill them with a kitted AK 74n and paca. Good positioning, game sense and map knowledge is more important than gear. 

If you're always losing fights try taking them in different ways. Learn where people tend to go, along what path, and set up a trap. Use silent walking more. Circle around rather than coming in head on. 

Heyndlgarndl

I agree that there absolutely should be balancing. However, I think it is more important to sort based on player level. Matchmaking, rather than balancing.

An experienced player not only achieves better aim and reaction times, but more importantly situation awareness, map knowledge and usual routes and sniping spots. It takes time to "really" know a map and get a feeling for where players go and hide. This enables veteran players to feast on newer players. This is in my opinion not good game play.

The level system is already in the game, an algorithm that sorts players based on level should be feasable. The player base seems to be strong enough too, although that is my subjective feeling.

There is a steep learning curve. Realistic guns and meds, etc. make sense. Groups getting you, when your are alone can be frustrating but makes sense as well. But getting destroyed by far more experienced players does not.

ShowMeDeWai

Well, we can hope that once the game goes "live" and we have map progression, that the veteran characters will mostly be on the open world and not still back in the "newbie" maps areas.  That should help alleviate the predator max level/max gear guys swamp dogging newer players.  One can only hope.

cribbit
54 minutes ago, Heyndlgarndl said:

I agree that there absolutely should be balancing. However, I think it is more important to sort based on player level. Matchmaking, rather than balancing.

Matchmaking is completely incompatible with Tarkov on a base level. Devs have said they will not implement any sort of matchmaking because they know this. 

This isn't a simple head to head game like CSGO or Overwatch. Your gear is being risked. You choose your risk to set what sort of engagements you can take, your skill at the game helps you take those engagements or set up favorable ones, and if you kill someone risking more than you then you gain a lot. 

Whether I bring cheap gear or expensive gear I want to be placed against whoever I get, so that I can kill them and loot them. Not just against others of the same level/gear. If I wanted only fair fights I would go play another game. When I have lots of gear I want my skill to use my advantage for clean kills. When I have little gear I want to use my skill to ambush or trap high gear players. Level is meaningless. 

• Upvote 1

cribbit
27 minutes ago, cribbit said:

If I wanted only fair fights I would go play another game. 

To clarify this statement further, a lot of the fun for me in Tarkov is taking on fights where I am at a disadvantage. 2v1, 3v1, paca/ak vs fort/m4, pistol vs armor/rifle, etc. 

Heyndlgarndl
17 hours ago, cribbit said:

If I wanted only fair fights I would go play another game. When I have lots of gear I want my skill to use my advantage for clean kills. When I have little gear I want to use my skill to ambush or trap high gear players. Level is meaningless. 

What you are suggesting is the other extreme. Without at least a rough match making, as I have argued, experienced players will dominate new ones. The best solution is almost always a balanced one. The game wont turn casual, or fair (god forbid) if a lvl 5 does not have to compete with a lvl 50.