Just found an interesting article

ShowMeDeWai

ShowMeDeWai

So, I notice a lot of people that talk and post about our guys being PMC's.  That we are supposed to have high soft skills already.  That we are grizzled war veterans.  We are just hardcore killing machines.  Well, I hate to burst your bubble...

science.howstuffworks.com/mercenary3.htm

And yet a majority of contractors working in Iraq rarely, if ever, engage in any sort of armed combat.

So, I am guessing that our PMC's are of this type.  We are the guys that just man guard desks with a pistol on our side with a bit of "Range time."  We are not some John Rambo's that can take out an entire country with a hatchet...

• Sad 1
530skeptic

I'm not sure about that.

Tarkov takes place in the not too distant future where private contractors fighting as proxies is common. The player characters behave and speak more like military operators than mall cops. It's safe to assume USEC has a rigorous screening process for hires and gets only the best of the best. I think it's also a safe bet to assume BEARs are on an equal field since they're a secret arm of the government.  In fact, USEC chatter implies a sort of fear/respect for BEAR operatives. ("Heard there were bears around here..." "You guys better worry about bears."

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, 530skeptic said:

I'm not sure about that.

Tarkov takes place in the not too distant future where private contractors fighting as proxies is common. The player characters behave and speak more like military operators than mall cops. It's safe to assume USEC has a rigorous screening process for hires and gets only the best of the best. I think it's also a safe bet to assume BEARs are on an equal field since they're a secret arm of the government.  In fact, USEC chatter implies a sort of fear/respect for BEAR operatives. ("Heard there were bears around here..." "You guys better worry about bears."

If they're supposed to be highly trained military operators, then why are there silly, gimmicky arcade "skills" in the game?

530skeptic
1 hour ago, SSIXS said:

If they're supposed to be highly trained military operators, then why are there silly, gimmicky arcade "skills" in the game?

I'd imagine it's to expand character progression from the general to the specific. Stealth movement, or an affinity handling foreign weapons for instance, makes sense to learn in the field. I like the idea of the progress-how-you-play experience. People who play a certain way consistency should get a slight reward for maintaining a character, rather than have every player equally skilled in uncommon tactics.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, 530skeptic said:

I'd imagine it's to expand character progression from the general to the specific. Stealth movement, or an affinity handling foreign weapons for instance, makes sense to learn in the field. I like the idea of the progress-how-you-play experience. People who play a certain way consistency should get a slight reward for maintaining a character, rather than have every player equally skilled in uncommon tactics.

While I understand your point of view, we already have a player progression through looting and kills.  I find these soft-skills to be more of a gimmick, that makes it more about who can run and jump with 40 t-bags full of shotgun shells, and less about the actual skill of the player.

I think it has a place in games like Contract Wars and Hired Ops, but not EFT.

To be fair even the level 0 skills are pretty competent.. I'm sure most people when given their first smg would have a hard time shooting as accurately the PMC in the game does the first time you try one out. They are well trained, that doesnt mean they are well experienced yet. 

zpwarrior
3 hours ago, SSIXS said:

While I understand your point of view, we already have a player progression through looting and kills.  I find these soft-skills to be more of a gimmick, that makes it more about who can run and jump with 40 t-bags full of shotgun shells, and less about the actual skill of the player.

The skill system is still very unfinished. I don't see an issue once they are expanded on more.

530skeptic
3 hours ago, SSIXS said:

I guess it all boils down to personal taste. I like the RPG elements. Look at it this way; if you leveled your PMC character through consistent sniper play to a respectable tier, wouldn't it feel cool to have a slight advantage over the level 1 'FPS vet' who is on par with your twitch skills that just started tarkov?

PIG-Mathieu
13 hours ago, ShowMeDeWai said:

And yet a majority of contractors working in Iraq rarely, if ever, engage in any sort of armed combat.

This is just what i understood over the years and you need to correct me if i'm wrong :

Fighter in Iraq are like civilian who are fighting because the can stand on their feet and handle a weapon. But they are not trained, they never communicate, they have nothing to do with PMCs.

To my understanding PMCs are people who trained themselfs without any link to gouvernement military, to be part of a private military. They are small group and they chose to become what they are. In Iraq, they did it because it was either run without a gun or run with a gun. It's very different from PMCs

Edited by PIG-Mathieu
ShowMeDeWai
1 hour ago, PIG-Mathieu said:

This is just what i understood over the years and you need to correct me if i'm wrong :

Fighter in Iraq are like civilian who are fighting because the can stand on their feet and handle a weapon. But they are not trained, they never communicate, they have nothing to do with PMCs.

To my understanding PMCs are people who trained themselfs without any link to gouvernement military, to be part of a private military. They are small group and they chose to become what they are. In Iraq, they did it because it was either run without a gun or run with a gun. It's very different from PMCs

Haha to be quite honest I cannot correct you.  I only read that one page of that article and I am not sure of the content before it or after it.  But from what I gathered from that one page, and some movies I have seen, and a little bit of talking with other people, the vast majority of members of Private Military Company's are people who have never seen combat and will never see combat.  Now, that is not to say that they do not have their combat read/combat experienced people.  Just that most of them are not the John Rambo type.

PMC could be a lot of things. Even for doing some boring guarding stuff you have to provide lot of credentials that are most likely gained via military/LE career or very expensive to achieve on your own. That is perhaps 85% of your classic PMC work eg. provide guard service in high risk areas be it on land or sea (different credentials apply). Then you have maybe 10-12% are PMC's that are actively participating in combat in various areas to provide plausible deniability for example. I am not going to name any units, but I am sure you can find many examples. I guess this is what BEAR and USEC are all about. The rest, few per cent are the likes of ex-SAS veterans who go to certain african country , train their own army and initiate hostile takeover. Or guys who go and found a sports club somewhere and... never mind.

I remember reading a nice book on PMC's: "Licensed to Kill" from Robert Young Pelton.

• Like 1