Warning: VoIP Abuse Problems

Bibo164

Hey everyone
I've been playing Rust since it's beginnings and followed the development closely. I spend a fair amount of time in this game and therefore know some issues the devs and the community ran into. As Escape from Tarkov is even more competitive than Rust in terms of survival and losing/achieving gear it's obvious there will be some cheaters trying to get themselves unfair advantages over other players.
That's why I wanted to inform you about one major issue with VoIP-Chat in-game:
In Rust the voice-chat was routed trough the Steam-VoIP (or smth like that. Anyway it was NOT routed trough the gameserver itself).. Anyway the major issue with this is the IP of players get's leaked to other players (at least in their voice-proximity - you didn't even have to talk once), which was abused by rather script-kiddes by reading out the other player's IPs with Wireshark (or an equivalent tool) and just DDoSing these players so they would loose connection and could get "offline"-raided or be looted easily. To prevent this the devs are currently working on routing the whole voice-chat trough the gameservers directly and so being able to hide every player's IP from others. This lead to many frustrating moments in the game and for that reason I want to make you aware of this problem so you can tackle it right away from the beginning and don't have to deal with it later on after you got aware of it yourself (in case you haven't done so already).

Thank you for noting this and have a nice day! :)

Bibo164

• Like 2

#Locked. Reason: At this point, there is no info on it being routed through steam. The system is going to be done in-house anyway and Steam is said to be planned sometime after release, but that could change. Thank you for the feedback!

• Like 1