[Guide] Best Ammo Types as of Patch 7.6 with Explanations

ShindyK0

This guide is written with the objective data from various ammo charts and my subjective experience of almost 200 cumulative levels over character wipes. I will update the guides as new patches come out and changes are made.

If its a wall of text for you and are just looking for a simple answer, just look at the ammo type and look for the ||||ammo|||| symbol.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12x70 = ||||Slug||||. Does 165 damage, no brainer. PvP is all about burst damage.
----
20x70 = Only one ammo type atm
----
366 = ||||EKO||||. Fastest Projectile speed and the best balance between AP and Damage.
----
TT = Use ||||Pst gzh||||. Its damage falls within the two hit kill range while having the highest AP of its ammo type. Of note, this ammo is viable again vs PACA.
----
9x19 = Use ||||Pst gzh||||. See above for explanation
----
9x21 = Use ||||SP13||||. By the time people have reached this stage where they can buy guns that use this ammo type, people will be rocking at least PACAs. The damage is not the sweet spot 55 that I'd like to see, but its usable.
----
9x39 = Use ||||SP6||||. See above for explanation.
----
9x18 = Use ||||PSV||||. While SP7 is the best statwise, it is hard to obtain and this ammo type is only used during early-game or when messing around. If you have level 3 traders and are still using this ammo type, you are probably questing or doing low-cost runs. Go with the PSV ammo because it has the highest damage for a readily obtainable ammo. AP does not matter for this ammo type due to the fact that even Kolpaks are lvl 2 armor. And if you manage to close your gap between you and your opponent, you'd be surprised at the damage that a Makarov with PSV rounds can dish out.
----
7.62x51 = ||||M61||||. This ones a no brainer, the sole reason you spent this much money on these guns is for this ammo which plows every impenetrable being. Wink Wink Amirite?
----
7.62x54R = ||||SNB||||. You obviously painstakingly landed a headshot with a sniper rifle in this game. Do you want your opponent to just walk away with a scratch on the Visor? Absolutely not, seeing as how you rang the dinner bell with your sniper rifle just now.
----
-----------------------------------------------------------------

OK. Now that the obvious ammo types are out of the way, lets get down to the three ammo types that are of most heated debates.
5.56, 5.45, and 7.62x39. All 3 of these ammo types have a flesh-destroying ammo, a sweetspot ammo, and a low damage high armor pen ammo. As of 7.6, all types of ammo are the most balanced they have ever been since alpha. For all of the assault rifle ammo, I have a golden rule: Sweetspot damage above 52 for the critical finish-off of the 80 health torso with 1.5 to 2 bullets and armor pen high enough to kill fort players reasonably fast enough before they scoot out of your line of sight.

The cost that you pay for the best armor pen ammo is actually quite high. There will be many times where your opponent will be able to limp away because you could not finish the opponent, after you've zeroed out your opponent's armor, or just ones that are unarmored and speedy. Or just the fact of life = low damage per second = high TTK, and the happier people wearing PACA against you will be. Of note, PACA reduces incoming damage by a significant single-digit number unless the AP pen value WITH THE AP VARIANCE is over 34. Also if you are in a situation where you need to leg-shot, and believe me these situations happen, whether you like it or not, your armor pen ammo will take a while to kill.

The cost of using flesh-destroying ammo or the sweetspot ammo USED TO BE HIGH, considering that Fast/Fort players were simply bullet sponges (we're talking more than 12 shots on moving targets).

However, with the nerf of Fast/Fort, these options became more viable. Heres the best ammo types as of 7.6:
----
5.56 (M4A1) = Winner is, surprisingly, the recently nerfed ||||MK255|||| and runner-up is M855A1. One exception for M995.
M995 ammo has 45 damage with AP value of 30+1.5 variance, and is able to destroy fort with only 5 shots. It will take one more hit to finish that player whose armor you zeroed out, provided he did not hit the Medkit button as soon as you shot at him - in which case it will take 7 shots. This ammo will also take more shots than MK255 to kill a PACA player, because PACA does reduce incoming damage slightly (remember that torso has 80 health). MK255 has 55 damage with an AP value of 26. This means that it will take 6 shots to destroy a fort and one more shot to kill that player, regardless of whether hes hit the medkit button. It also means that PACA players will not survive that critical damage of 2x47 after PACA damage reduction. And obviously, unarmored players have very little chance of surviving an encounter with an M4A1 user using this ammo. Tracer ammo were disqualified due to low AP variance. M855A1 came close to taking the top spot but MK255's damage is closer to my golden rule of 55 sweetspot damage. M995 is however the best for players who exclusively go for headshots with the M4A1.
----
5.45 (AK74N) = Winner is ||||PS|||| and runner-up is PP. One exception for BP.
The explanation as to why PS is the current best ammo is similar to above. It will take only one more shot in killing fort armor players, or sometimes equivalent amount of shots against experienced/resilient fort armor players. Also, just like MK255 its damage falls within the sweetspot 55 damage which will still 2-hit the majority of the playerbase, while having the AP of 27+1 variance to destroy fort armor quickly. The reason PP was chosen over BS/BP/BT is because it is a non-tracer round with an AP value of 29+0.5 variance while having higher damage. BS/BP were disqualified due to very low damage. They were worth it when they did 30+ armor durability damage, but not anymore. While 49 damage isnt ideal, it will do a decent job. And just like the B ammo types, this ammo will go through meter-thick trees to kill the opponent behind. I will make an exception for BP for the headshotters however, it is preferred over BS due to the bullet velocity.
----
7.62x39 = Winner is ||||PS|||| and runner-up is BP. One exception for HP.
I'm gonna keep this one simple. PS is awesome for 7.62 especially against the new fort armor and PACA/unarmored players have no chance. And BP, while low damage, cannot be ignored due to the fact that BP of this ammo type has a critical AP value of 36+2 variance which lets you dome those Fast helmets. The ability to kill a 300-400k ruble geared player with a single shot is a very powerful tool. I will make an exception for HP rounds in the early-mid stages of the game right after a wipe however.
----
Any questions you can post it here or find me on Discord ID = SKRA_ShindyK0#0442

Also everyone be sure to take the Roadmap survey for the future of Tarkov that our devs envision:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScBriiiqUnjD56OWiE52S7TK6iRCVWCEc0303GQLGo1tuG7mQ/viewform

Edited by ShindyK0
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

i agree with the core ones - PS for 5.45, 7.62 and mk255 for 5.56 still.

slugs however i disagree with. slugs really do not do as much dmg as buckshot, if all the buckshot hits. it does way less damage to armor than buckshot (because if all buckshot hits, each buckshot reduces the armor rather than just one slug). now slug should have better accuracy but i don't see this either. play with slugs a bit and their deviation is actually quite large. enough to miss targets you're aimed at directly, at even less than 50m.

AK74NOLA

Really ducking getting getting tired of the changing ammo values , like i change clothes..

game wants to be realistic then stop ducking with ammo values. Go off real life values of velocity and balistic penetration.

this is getting stupid...

AirRegalia
15 hours ago, JJamie said:

i agree with the core ones - PS for 5.45, 7.62 and mk255 for 5.56 still.

slugs however i disagree with. slugs really do not do as much dmg as buckshot, if all the buckshot hits. it does way less damage to armor than buckshot (because if all buckshot hits, each buckshot reduces the armor rather than just one slug). now slug should have better accuracy but i don't see this either. play with slugs a bit and their deviation is actually quite large. enough to miss targets you're aimed at directly, at even less than 50m.

The thing is Paca will make buckshot useless and even Kolpaks stop buckshot. I accidentally headshot my buddy point black with a Shotgun and he took 2 damage to his head with a kolpak. Slug has better range and Pen as well as a 2-3 shot kill on legs at a distance.

2 hours ago, AirRegalia said:

The thing is Paca will make buckshot useless and even Kolpaks stop buckshot. I accidentally headshot my buddy point black with a Shotgun and he took 2 damage to his head with a kolpak. Slug has better range and Pen as well as a 2-3 shot kill on legs at a distance.

the pen value of slugs still isn't real clear. the old charts showcased that slugs couldn't even penetrate lvl 2 armor, which is kolpak and paca/3m. so with the new penetration value, and just like a slug in real life, i doubt it can fully penetrate kevlar armor, but has a low chance of doing so.

so its probably about the same in this case, where buckshot actually wrecks armor quite fast for buckshot, because each buckshot will do damage to the armor, effectively tearing its durability to shreds.

so actually maybe slugs are more effective vs paca, but less effective vs fort, just because of the new pen value vs durability of the armor itself.

ShindyK0
On 3/2/2018 at 9:41 AM, AK74NOLA said:

Really ducking getting getting tired of the changing ammo values, this is getting stupid...

I totally agree. Hate having to ask around or research everytime the devs make one slight damn change.