Silencers are too quiet.

Do you think that silencers are too quiet?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. I think that...

• ...silencers are too quiet.
    • ...silencers are OK.

zpwarrior
29 minutes ago, GOTOHELL said:

Sorry for bad English.

Increased noise, it's own durability(Increased damage to it in full auto) and sub sonic ammunition to get it's full effect.

DragunovCrux

How do I change my vote, I pressed the wrong one.

Your video was done very well. Also, your english isn't that bad.

Silencers are not able to be that quiet at that distance.

Edited by DragunovCrux
Edit
Apyr21550

I agree to 100%. I feel like they are way too common, and think it would be a nice change to see a little bit less of them around since 9/10 people I come across have them.

TanithScout

Theyve been imbalanced since forever.

Its tricky to balance them though which is why we havn't had any changes yet. They will come.

I asked Klean months ago on his stream about if he had any issues with silencers like me and he replied 'Theyre in real life, so theyre in Tarkov'.

Not a very helpful answer but he was streaming. I think they just need to be traded for goods not money, but apparently they are going to deteriorate fast.

When you don't have a silencer on everything, there will be much more fights. More deaths.

Murd3rWorship

Agree that the suppressors are too quiet...Last night I finally got the chance to try out the VSS and damn it that was even quieter...Check out the video below.

P.S. this is just in general not Tarkov in particular.

So, making it short.

- Make *supressors* MUCH louder with standard ammo.
- Ballance *supressors*'s sound accordingly when used with subsonic ammo.
- Make them SLIGHTLY increase bullet velocity.
- Make them SLIGHTLY increase damage done.
- Ballance them accordingly for subsonic ammo (again).

Pros:
 - More realism (game's goal)
 - Less *supressor* BIAS. Should greatly increase chances for people to search for and use wider variety of barrel attatchments with different effects.
 - Slightly equals chances of both sides in combat situation without any serious drawbacks, removes whole "i feel like a god, because i have supressor so i can cherrypick everyone and run away unscratched" and preserves the "chills down the spine" element (which i think is good, considering extreme realism)

Cons:
 - Bunch of whiney kids who cry when you take their overpowered items from them or just simply can't play without them (can cause serious headache).

I have suppressors on pretty much every weapon I use and would support them being much rarer. If you aren’t using a subsonic rounds they should be noisy. If you are not using subsonic rounds they should overheat and degrade rapidly. If you are using the appropriate rounds they should be realistic in the sound they make for the weapon. 

Hearing gunfire across tarkov should be the norm. They are in real life but PMC outfits are not running around with them permanently. Neither are military outfits. They are fit for purpose and specific requirements. 

Bring on louder suppressors and reduce the frequency of their use. 

Your_Moms_Gyno
6 hours ago, Murd3rWorship said:

Agree that the suppressors are too quiet...Last night I finally got the chance to try out the VSS and damn it that was even quieter...Check out the video below.

P.S. this is just in general not Tarkov in particular.

This guy has *some* good stuff, mostly when he demonstrates it physically, but there are numerous factual errors in this video alone, in what he says.

Don't trust everything you read on the internet.

TanithScout
6 hours ago, qS_Sachiel said:

This guy has *some* good stuff, mostly when he demonstrates it physically, but there are numerous factual errors in this video alone, in what he says.

I always find this ironic.

Your_Moms_Gyno

you're referring to the final line? 

indeed.

His comments however, particularly re: issue 3, are terribly incorrect. Muzzle length does increase velocity, but a suppressor is built to capture and retain the gas expansion (energy) along the suppressor length.  A supressor cannot capture energy to delay the timing of release, or shape (and resultant sound) of an expanding gas field, and still increase the velocity (energy) of the round. Not to my knowledge.

The effect that supressor has on a bullet depends heavily on the ammo type used. On standard ammo, supressors have little to non effect, sometimes they can slighty boost muzzle velocity (ingame also damage). The price for that would be very fast wear-off of the supressor. In case of ammo designed specifically for supressors, however, we should see a significant decrease in effective distance of a bullet and muzzle velocity. Mainly because of how they are made.

Murd3rWorship
12 hours ago, qS_Sachiel said:

I agree, but what I meant is that he is making a good point tho.

AdhesiveTeflon

Two things you hear when a rifle is using a suppressor:

1.) The powder being set off

2.) The (usually) supersonic round flying through the air.

In this game they are kind of quiet, but so are gunshots within 100 meters - especially accurate incoming fire.

The added length doesn't matter to velocity considering the baffles are meant to trap the expanding gas and alter the sound - not to push the round out.  Kind of like the same idea as a pass through car muffler.  They don't weigh much by themselves, but on the ass end of your rifle they will definitely wear your arms down as you try to keep your arms steady during multiple shots.

On that note, a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend said that oil filter suppressors are really quiet (in mexico, of course.)

to be honest, i don't care what its like in real life - this is a video game and it still needs virtual balance. that being said, silences are completely overpowered because they are a necessity with zero downside. they do need to be nerfed in a huge huge way.

majority gun fights should be without silencers. they should be loot only, and quite scarce. even after awhile im sure everyone would be running them all the time just because of the amount of people playing and looting, you'd get all kinds in circulation eventually.

Your_Moms_Gyno
4 hours ago, AdhesiveTeflon said:

Two things you hear when a rifle is using a suppressor:

1.) The powder being set off

2.) The (usually) supersonic round flying through the air.

*snip*

You shouldn't hear the flight of the round too much, unless it's at you, which OP's video demonstrates. However you should also be hearing: the expansion of gasses from the barrel exit, as the OP explains why, as well as also hearing the firing and loading mechanisms of the weapon, particularly in automatic or semiautomatic firing.

13 hours ago, qS_Sachiel said:

indeed.

His comments however, particularly re: issue 3, are terribly incorrect. Muzzle length does increase velocity, but a suppressor is built to capture and retain the gas expansion (energy) along the suppressor length.  A supressor cannot capture energy to delay the timing of release, or shape (and resultant sound) of an expanding gas field, and still increase the velocity (energy) of the round. Not to my knowledge.

Yes, a suppressor is built to retain the gasses from the barrel so that they can become less energetic, thus resulting in reduced muzzle signature. However. As we both know, even with a suppressor, a firearm is still absurdly loud. That's because, no matter what you do, a suppressor must always be designed as such that there is a hole going straight down the center in the shape of the bullet- Meaning that at least some gas has a straight path through the suppressor. 

Now, think about a firearm without a suppressor. It has a 16 inch barrel. This barrel is tightly fitted to the bullet to the point that it's airtight- The gasses cannot do anything except expand and push the bullet, the sole part of the barrel that will budge, forward, down the barrel. 

If you have no suppressor on the barrel, the gasses will merely expand into mid air. There may be a very slight increase in velocity of the bullet for, say, a millimeter or two after it leaves the barrel, but from that point onward, there isn't anything to keep the gasses in place behind the bullet. Within a suppressor, the bullet will push forward, the powder will continue to burn, gasses will expand, and though they won't expand with as much force as before, due to the increased expansion room, they will be capable of propelling the bullet further. 

After all, suppressors aren't perfect at capturing expanding gasses. That's why they won't actually "Silence" a gunshot. If you created a perfect suppressor, than it's entirely possible that it might not increase velocity, I suppose. . . But we don't have perfect suppressors. 

Suppressors, as a result, will marginally increase velocity. This is true of all suppressors, with the exception of those that work with a ported barrel, like certain integrally suppressed firearms. 

• Upvote 1
Jlesaistu

yea for most hi-caliber round. a supressor basically mean you will ear the gunshot at 1 km instead of like 10 km. That still loud as hell.

o0Cosmo0o

It is hard to emulate the real impact of the sound on the ears, teorically changing the position of the head the sound is different. Ambient-noise, wind, bushes, position of the head and a lot of things can have a huge impact to the perception of any sound like the suppressed-fire.

Probably a 3D Stereo sound in the game would be a great improvement, otherwise, it is hard to change the volume of a suppressed weapon in the game because if people can ear a silencer also at big distance (like 500 meters) silencers become useless in the game, and actually the maps are not that big.

I think it is very hard to balance the reality with the "realism" of the game. Probably a lot of players judge the sound of the game without a proper setting for the audio-equalizer of their system, but beside this 3D Stereo sound would be the best things to add to the game. For the rest, probably would be necessary only a good compromise and no more.

KingOchaos
Just now, qS_Sachiel said:

indeed.

They can do. Suppressors maintain a higher pressure behind round for that extra 20/30 cm than it would otherwise., they are venting the gas as the projectile passes the baffles, but it is still maintaining a higher pressure behind the round than it obviously would if you were not running one.

It is in game as well, it increases velocity of round. It is fairly well established. 

But in my experience a suppressor still makes a huge difference irl with supers... a .223/5.56 sounds like a .22 (just a lil pop), a .270 30/06 etc sounds a bit like .223... which is a BIG differnce, but yea not silent.

Edited by KingOchaos
Your_Moms_Gyno

I thought the whole point was that the baffles have a more open volume than the otherwise uniform 'vanilla' barrel, allowing for the gas to expand slower both inside the barrel as the charge explodes, and escape slower once the round has cleared the weapon? Doesn't this slower expansion and increased volume result in a lower pressure and lesser force?

How do you increase volume and maintain pressure? 

Jlesaistu
29 minutes ago, qS_Sachiel said:

I thought the whole point was that the baffles have a more open volume than the otherwise uniform 'vanilla' barrel, allowing for the gas to expand slower both inside the barrel as the charge explodes, and escape slower once the round has cleared the weapon? Doesn't this slower expansion and increased volume result in a lower pressure and lesser force?

How do you increase volume and maintain pressure? 

well it does maining pressure as otherwise, gaz would go completely free-for-all right at the end of the barrel.

while supressor actually "make the barrel longer". while a few extra inch of supressor wont be as effective as the same distance of normal barrel (due to the whole redirection/gaz slow things). it still slightly more effective than just...nothings.

it also depend on barrel lenght...at some point, longer barrel dont really produce any result anymore. so if your barrle is already long enought to get maximum possible velocity, supressor wont increase if (might actually decrease a little now)

but really...the difference in velocity is quite marginal.