Blackb1rd

Nikita Buyanov answered the players' questions about the sounds

COO of Battlestate Games Nikita Buyanov aka geneburn answered the players' questions about the sounds.

Question: Shall footsteps sounds be adjusted or rerecorded? To be precise, the sound on various surfaces like earth, metal, grass. For example, the sound of footsteps over railroad carriage or a metal staircase sounds more like the sound of footsteps over a thin list of metal or tin can.

Answer: We have recorded a lot of sounds of movement over different surfaces: wet asphalt, dry asphalt, gravel, rubble, broken tiles, stones, dirt, the list goes on, everything still waiting for its turn to be added. We don’t like the sound of walking over thin metal either would also prefer to replace it as soon as possible.

Question: What will be done about the audibility of sounds to others?  Hearing someone walking on the third floor of the resort building while being outside, through thick walls is not exactly realistic.  Reduced aural detection zone would be more hardcore.

Answer: We plan to further develop the system of toning sounds down, for example depending on the thickness of the walls, but it's not as easy as it seems, at least we’re going to have the improved positioning of whether the sounds come from above or below, which will also be bound to shutting off the sound by different objects.

Question: Will my own step volume be reduced? They are too loud especially when using tactical headset. Rather uncomfortable, especially over long playing sessions.
Answer: it’s a known issue, we plan to reduce the volume and add some variety by introducing new sounds.

Question: Will it be possible to change the shoes so that it would affect not only their appearance but the sound level as well?
Answer: We haven’t planned it.

Question: Where do developers get the sounds for weapons they don’t have access to? For example, RSAS, moreover, with silencer?
Answer: Here we use a very interesting approach, there is a huge database of recorded sounds of weapons of various calibers, in different environments, with different flash hiders, we take approximately similar weapon (based on the principle of impact) and go over everything we can find online, then compare and combine, thus achieving a  hypothetically realistic sound, which this weapon can possibly have, i.e. by mixing, working with compression, EQ, adding various metal overtones when necessary... This is a very interesting creative process.

Question: Please tell us about the ambient sounds, what do you plan to add and change? The sound of the wind is sometimes too aggressive, and at night there is the incessant cricket sound, which is like it’s sitting on the shoulders of the character. Would like to hear more diversity, not enough sounds of insects and birds.
Answer: We’re planning an ambient background sound system when it’s going to change when something is happening on the map, these sounds will be bound to different areas and conditions. In addition to the recorded ambient sounds, we have recorded all kinds of single sounds, such as the passing of aircraft or helicopter, the sounds of birds and much more, this system is also waiting to be added, we will inform you further when it’s done.

Question: Can you make looting sounds or opening boxes quieter depending on movement speed, i.e. when you stealthily crouch, the sounds will be quieter.
Answer: Roughly, there will be two modes of looting, the first loud and fast, and the second quiet but slow, and the volume will depend on skills.

Question: Some sounds seem incoherent, for example, after the character searched a bag he, for some reason, closes it producing excess noise. Will they be removed from the game?
Answer: Possibly, we’ll consider it. Approaching it practically, on the one hand closing the bag is illogical, but on the other hand, why are you not considering such an option as closing the looted bag to set up an ambush? The answer to this question is not exactly obvious.

Question: When will the beta trailer soundtrack be published? And can you give us a sneak peek on how such masterpieces are born? Thanks!
Answer: This soundtrack was written specifically for the beta trailer, but it not yet ready as an independent piece due to a critical lack of time.

How the music is born? Very hard actually, it needs inspiration, which is rather scarce recently for writing music, and I have to exert myself. But usually a good soundtrack is born over one evening, at least the main idea, which gets elaborated over the next three to four days, before the track is ready. In each track, I try to add a common Russia 2028 theme, it is present virtually everywhere as a leitmotif of sorts.

TRANSLATIONS:

• Bulgarian translation of the news can be found here. Thanks to Emissary of Bulgaria @Shibby
  • Turkish translation of the news can be found here. Thanks to Emissary of Turkey @Dimitri468
  • Spanish translation of the news can be found here. Thanks to Emissary of Spain @MrXavito
  • Czech translation of the news can be found here. Thanks to Czech PMC @RooTooR
  • Japan translation of the news can be found here. Thanks to Emissary of Japan @giraffy
  • Portuguese translation of the news can be found here. Thanks to Emissary of Brazil @dimittri4gc

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Hot 3
  • Upvote 5

Answer: Roughly, there will be two modes of looting, the first loud and fast, and the second quiet but slow, and the volume will depend on skills.

I know a fair few people had been asking about having something like this.

Awesome to hear the plans for the sound system and some of the background work that goes into it :) 

• Like 1

This new level of communication achieved with the timeline, and interviews like this is an excellent step in the right direction I believe. The community will appreciate the transparency and I really appreciate the detailed plans of the game. :)

Wonderful news, I think a lot of people were concerned about in-game sound.

• Like 2

Idea with changing shoes sound good,I would like to see it in the game.Also gloves should have possibility to be taken of.

Edited by komixe

Cool. Had no idea that Geneburn is actually Nikita. Love his music. I even play EFT soundtracks while driving.

Thanks for your efforts reworking the sounds , pretty sure it is not easy at all implementing "wall thickness" into the game but you guys can do it !

Edited by paranoidamok

Nice wishlist.  Now if you can stop the endlessly looping sounds of scav's reloading, boxes being looted when no one is around, the dead scav's that scream endlessly after you kill them even if you hang out in the area for ten minutes after you kill them, fix some players that just go 100% silent like my friend who was standing 2 feet from me and could not hear me shooting a scav, or the grenade I threw, or me running.  Fix all of that, add all what you are talking about and the sound might be pretty dang great!

Man, I remember first hearing that opening track in the main menu... Chills every time.

Kinda off-topic, but I would love to have the soundtrack included in the EOD package, just saying ;)

Thanks for all the hard work BSG! Looking forward to the next evolution in sound.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love these dev blogs, it's shows where you guys are heading and we get an idea of what type of game you guys are striving for. It's great to see what's to come and I'm excited to enjoy these future features! 

I have to confess the first thing I do after loading a new game is turn the music down to off, I have no time for music in any game, so I've never heard it nor will I.

That said, I really appreciate the Q&Q on this subject, it has been a much requested one and there are some really interesting answers in there, Thanks BSG.

10 hours ago, Lewisuk said:

I know a fair few people had been asking about having something like this.

Awesome to hear the plans for the sound system and some of the background work that goes into it :) 

Reminds me of state of decay.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Plata-O-Plomo93 said:

planed- planned-planned........ this game will reléase on 2020 or final of 2019.....

Who cares how long everything will take, the game is great as it is now. Sure lags and problems are around the corner. But every game has its problems or flaws. Even when a game is done and fully released. What we haft to see here is the big pìcture. The game is amazing in many ways as it stands now. It can only be better. I at least hope they take all the time they can and want. B| 

Edited by TOO-RazX

10 hours ago, komixe said:

Idea with changing shoes sound good,I would like to see it in the game.Also gloves should have possibility to be taken of.

Why take of the gloves tho? o.O

5 minutes ago, TOO-RazX said:

Why take of the gloves tho? o.O

To give them some extra stats,for example ergonomics +1 when dressed up.Uniforms are announced so why not gloves?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TOO-RazX said:

Who cares how long everything will take, the game is great as it is now. Sure lags and problems are around the corner. But every game has its problems or flaws. Even when a game is done and fully released. What we haft to see here is the big pìcture. The game is amazing in many ways as it stands now. It can only be better. I at least hope they take all the time they can and want. B| 

me cares, they are already late with the game and it seems for more delays...... another Day Z history of Early Acces, lies -delays more lies - more delays........we'll see if the community remains in the game when it will finish

and the game CAN be amazing if the devs fix the netcode , the sound, the animation system and the tons of Exploits and glitches and add the open world..... now for me is not a great game is just a great showcase of weapons models on battlefield size maps

Edited by Plata-O-Plomo93

52 minutes ago, komixe said:

To give them some extra stats,for example ergonomics +1 when dressed up.Uniforms are announced so why not gloves?

Its gloves? What can be special about it? Sorry mate im lost there hehe. I respect your idé tho. 

10 hours ago, Plata-O-Plomo93 said:

me cares, they are already late with the game and it seems for more delays...... another Day Z history of Early Acces, lies -delays more lies - more delays........we'll see if the community remains in the game when it will finish

and the game CAN be amazing if the devs fix the netcode , the sound, the animation system and the tons of Exploits and glitches and add the open world..... now for me is not a great game is just a great showcase of weapons models on battlefield size maps

Thanks for your point of view. It matters and i think the community is only growing and the game will be ready when it is ready.  B|