Jump to content
DanExert

The Future of EFT: An Interpretation of Info

Recommended Posts

DanExert

Hi all. The purpose of this topic is to provide an opportunity for critical thinking within the community and remind ourselves of what Escape from Tarkov currently is, but more importantly what it will be, based on information we already have. I'll post info from the devs, then write a little about my interpretation of what it means (or will mean, soon(tm))...

What we know - BSG's Vision
"Escape from Tarkov is a hardcore and realistic online first-person action RPG/Simulator with MMO features and a story-driven walkthrough."

We can break this down into chunks, and explore these terms by themselves;

  • Action RPG - action-orientated Role Playing Game. Makes me think of The Witcher or FF15
  • Simulator - simulating real-world effects and physics. Reminds me of Arma, Op Flashpoint etc
  • MMO - Massively Multiplayer. Wiki definition (edited for space): "large numbers of players on the same server. MMOs usually feature a huge, persistent open world. ...enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and interact meaningfully with people around the world."
  • Story - well, we all know what a story is don't we ;) 

 

My interpretation

BSG are aiming to fulfil a number of 'styles' within EFT, which will eventually combine to create the overall experience. What we've seen already, are some parts of the ARPG (skills), some parts of the Simulator (game mechanics, character movement, ballistics etc), a very limited portion of MMO (player co-operation) and almost no Story (within the game, at least. Some info can be gathered via the current placeholder tasks).

The main focus of EFT's main mode on release will essentially be RPG/Sim Co-Op PvE, with the ability to seamlessly engage in PvP at your discretion (and at the mercy of Karma). The point of this mode will be to Escape from Tarkov i.e. get the heck out, explore the maps and find out the secrets of the story along the way. There will be 'personal' quests too, which will help us learn about ourselves and the world we are quite literally trapped in. EFT will be a story-heavy game which will encourage players to work together (VOIP) in order to complete objectives, kill Scavs and Scav Bosses, gain access to different rooms/safes/areas of the maps by trading keys, surviving by applying first aid to each other and sharing supplies etc. As well as trading weapon parts we've managed to scavenge for other useful items, things like that.

BSG want us to work together in order to complete their game. It's everywhere you look, right from the reveal trailer. The very nature of the game - ex-enemies trapped together in a hostile environment, who must now work together to survive - is almost poetic. They are attempting to bring together players from around the world, from all different backgrounds and put us through numerous challenges with the goal of building a strong, loyal and connected playerbase. This tactic is used by armies all around the world during training - friendships are forged in mutual hardship. The devs are essentially trying to build their own small army of ex-PMC hardcore survivors and Sherpas.

The main bulk of EFT will not be a fair, competitive PvP FPS. EFT will be a living, breathing world with an intense story and strong emphasis on working together. Tarkov is not 'fair' and it never will be, which is why we need to team up to even the odds. And no, I don't mean 5 man squads, I'm talking a server-full of PMCs vs Scavs.

 

What does this mean for us as Beta Testers/future players of the full game?

As testers, it means exactly that i.e. testing of the game mechanics, weapons, items, tasks, traders, skills etc. We are here to test the core mechanics of the game - we are essentially playing Skyrim without the main questline. Think about this analogy, and apply it to EFT; imagine you are a tester for Skyrim but actually have the knowledge of how the full game will eventually be, this is how we should be thinking as testers.

Remember why you are here - to test the game and provide mechanical feedback to the developers. We are not here to report that we are bored, or that we dislike hatchlings, or we need matchmaking, items are too easy to get, money is too easy to get, or any of these current non-issues... I am confident these issues will become obsolete as the game is fleshed out, because we will playing for a much different reason and have a way harder time while doing so. Try to think more about the end product, rather than the testing phase.

 

I look forward to your thoughts, please if you feel like I am way off the mark here, say so. You will not hurt my feelings :P and unlike many members of this forum I welcome a good discussion/debate.

Cheers!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spectator6

Well said DanExert! You're absolutely right. If there's one thing the devs have been consistent on, it's that the version of the game we are playing right now is more or less simply kicking the tires on specific elements. The full breadth of their vision and scope is much much larger and involved than what we are currently experiencing. In my opinion, that's cause to celebrate :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
9 minutes ago, Spectator6 said:

The full breadth of their vision and scope is much much larger and involved than what we are currently experiencing. In my opinion, that's cause to celebrate :)

Definitely! It is so easy to get stuck in the PvP-loot-extract-repeat cycle with the current build, so I thought it would be useful to remind the community (and myself!) that we're just scratching the surface right now.

Always good to see a post from you @Spectator6, all the best mate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blitchsauce

Maybe fix the trash before making new poo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
4 minutes ago, Thesaltyvet said:

Maybe fix the trash before making new poo

Valuable contribution to the topic :) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blitchsauce
1 minute ago, DanExert said:

Valuable contribution to the topic :) 

Yea its pretty wild when my setting dont even save and i have to re do them everytime i open the ducking game. And i cant even get help with ossues because the site is poo and nothing works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
1 minute ago, Thesaltyvet said:

Yea its pretty wild when my setting dont even save and i have to re do them everytime i open the ducking game. And i cant even get help with ossues because the site is poo and nothing works. 

Have you submitted a bug report, with logs, and contacted tech support with your issue(s)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blitchsauce

I have tried multiple times and it never sends a report it and there is no contact information for anyone. 140 dollars down the ducking drain man. Siiiickk game btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
7 minutes ago, Thesaltyvet said:

I have tried multiple times and it never sends a report it and there is no contact information for anyone. 140 dollars down the ducking drain man. Siiiickk game btw

Try a different browser, Safari didn't work for me so I switched to Chrome and it works fine now for submitting reports/contacting support.

And no, 140 dollars is not down the drain. You paid for a preorder of the finished product, having access to the test build is a bonus. Educate yourself. Also, if you're worried about cash perhaps you should have gone for the standard edition first? Just a thought.

Use the search function and comment on a relevant topic if you would please, if there are no topics with your issue, create a new one.

Good day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blitchsauce
12 minutes ago, DanExert said:

Try a different browser, Safari didn't work for me so I switched to Chrome and it works fine now for submitting reports/contacting support.

And no, 140 dollars is not down the drain. You paid for a preorder of the finished product, having access to the test build is a bonus. Educate yourself. Also, if you're worried about cash perhaps you should have gone for the standard edition first? Just a thought.

Use the search function and comment on a relevant topic if you would please, if there are no topics with your issue, create a new one.

Good day.

Thanks for the help you are the best! Lol worried about 140 bucks? Naw. Just pissed i got scammed on some bull poo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brtkklkrn
10 minutes ago, Thesaltyvet said:

Thanks for the help you are the best! Lol worried about 140 bucks? Naw. Just pissed i got scammed on some bull poo.

Well, you didn't get scammed, you got what you payed for.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
7 minutes ago, brtkklkrn said:

Well, you didn't get scammed, you got what you payed for.

I mean, technically no one has gotten what they've paid for yet. But we're getting off-topic ;) 

  • Hot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCvTyson
3 hours ago, DanExert said:

Hi all. The purpose of this topic is to provide an opportunity for critical thinking within the community and remind ourselves of what Escape from Tarkov currently is, but more importantly what it will be, based on information we already have. I'll post info from the devs, then write a little about my interpretation of what it means (or will mean, soon(tm))...

What we know - BSG's Vision
"Escape from Tarkov is a hardcore and realistic online first-person action RPG/Simulator with MMO features and a story-driven walkthrough."

We can break this down into chunks, and explore these terms by themselves;

  • Action RPG - action-orientated Role Playing Game. Makes me think of The Witcher or FF15
  • Simulator - simulating real-world effects and physics. Reminds me of Arma, Op Flashpoint etc
  • MMO - Massively Multiplayer. Wiki definition (edited for space): "large numbers of players on the same server. MMOs usually feature a huge, persistent open world. ...enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and interact meaningfully with people around the world."
  • Story - well, we all know what a story is don't we ;) 

 

My interpretation

BSG are aiming to fulfil a number of 'styles' within EFT, which will eventually combine to create the overall experience. What we've seen already, are some parts of the ARPG (skills), some parts of the Simulator (game mechanics, character movement, ballistics etc), a very limited portion of MMO (player co-operation) and almost no Story (within the game, at least. Some info can be gathered via the current placeholder tasks).

The main focus of EFT's main mode on release will essentially be RPG/Sim Co-Op PvE, with the ability to seamlessly engage in PvP at your discretion (and at the mercy of Karma). The point of this mode will be to Escape from Tarkov i.e. get the heck out, explore the maps and find out the secrets of the story along the way. There will be 'personal' quests too, which will help us learn about ourselves and the world we are quite literally trapped in. EFT will be a story-heavy game which will encourage players to work together (VOIP) in order to complete objectives, kill Scavs and Scav Bosses, gain access to different rooms/safes/areas of the maps by trading keys, surviving by applying first aid to each other and sharing supplies etc. As well as trading weapon parts we've managed to scavenge for other useful items, things like that.

BSG want us to work together in order to complete their game. It's everywhere you look, right from the reveal trailer. The very nature of the game - ex-enemies trapped together in a hostile environment, who must now work together to survive - is almost poetic. They are attempting to bring together players from around the world, from all different backgrounds and put us through numerous challenges with the goal of building a strong, loyal and connected playerbase. This tactic is used by armies all around the world during training - friendships are forged in mutual hardship. The devs are essentially trying to build their own small army of ex-PMC hardcore survivors and Sherpas.

The main bulk of EFT will not be a fair, competitive PvP FPS. EFT will be a living, breathing world with an intense story and strong emphasis on working together. Tarkov is not 'fair' and it never will be, which is why we need to team up to even the odds. And no, I don't mean 5 man squads, I'm talking a server-full of PMCs vs Scavs.

 

What does this mean for us as Beta Testers/future players of the full game?

As testers, it means exactly that i.e. testing of the game mechanics, weapons, items, tasks, traders, skills etc. We are here to test the core mechanics of the game - we are essentially playing Skyrim without the main questline. Think about this analogy, and apply it to EFT; imagine you are a tester for Skyrim but actually have the knowledge of how the full game will eventually be, this is how we should be thinking as testers.

Remember why you are here - to test the game and provide mechanical feedback to the developers. We are not here to report that we are bored, or that we dislike hatchlings, or we need matchmaking, items are too easy to get, money is too easy to get, or any of these current non-issues... I am confident these issues will become obsolete as the game is fleshed out, because we will playing for a much different reason and have a way harder time while doing so. Try to think more about the end product, rather than the testing phase.

 

I look forward to your thoughts, please if you feel like I am way off the mark here, say so. You will not hurt my feelings :P and unlike many members of this forum I welcome a good discussion/debate.

Cheers!

There's too many meaningless posts around and non-constructive criticism around for sure, however it is beta test, which is when sample end user tries the product so I think opinions on hatchlings, game mechanics like vendors, performance etc etc are more than appropriate so can't really agree with "...We are not here to report that we are bored, or that we dislike hatchlings, or we need matchmaking, items are too easy to get, money is too easy to get, or any of these current non-issues..." 

however,

it's good someone mentioned the above, hopefully we wont see that many pointless topics on forums for some time. good job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brtkklkrn
2 minutes ago, DanExert said:

I mean, technically no one has gotten what they've paid for yet. But we're getting off-topic ;) 

Well we've preordered a game that isn't out yet and paid a lot of money, so we could play the alpha and get soms extra stash size.
So as far as they can give us, we got what we paid for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
5 minutes ago, SCvTyson said:

There's too many meaningless posts around and non-constructive criticism around for sure, however it is beta test, which is when sample end user tries the product so I think opinions on hatchlings, game mechanics like vendors, performance etc etc are more than appropriate so can't really agree with "...We are not here to report that we are bored, or that we dislike hatchlings, or we need matchmaking, items are too easy to get, money is too easy to get, or any of these current non-issues..." 

however,

it's good someone mentioned the above, hopefully we wont see that many pointless topics on forums for some time. good job.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate your point of view, and perhaps I was a bit 'totalitarian' in that part of the post haha. I just mean it in the sense that as a community we are commenting a lot, and putting a lot of effort into posts on 'metas' that might not even exist in the full game, that's all. Trying to encourage people to look at the bigger picture so to speak :)

7 minutes ago, brtkklkrn said:

Well we've preordered a game that isn't out yet and paid a lot of money, so we could play the alpha and get soms extra stash size.
So as far as they can give us, we got what we paid for.

Underlined is the situation here, the rest is a bonus. AFAIK until relatively recently even pre-ordering didn't guarantee access to the test build. It's all in the ToS/EULA. Though I really don't want to derail the thread with the terms of service, if at all possible lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rincewind_wizz

Its going to be extremely rare for players cooperating without being in a party entering the map. The distrust caused by the setting combined with human nature and this being a game will probably make random cooperation nonexistant.

 

I think since we are here for testing purposes we should deal and talk about the glaring problems that we CURRENTLY are seeing. Assuming that for example the hatchlings will just dissapear is pure speculation. While im pretty sure that the devs are going to fix the netcode and performance issues, who is to say that adding new content will automatically combat other balancing, immersion breaking issues?

 

I really dont think it was intended to run naked and just farm loot over and over again. Its immersion breaking and a not so fun GRIND for anyone.

 

Impementing solutions such as loosing more skill points on death, the loss increasing exponentially, would discourage higher level players from running hatchlings. As they then would not gain more from running in and stashing things in the container, dying and repeat. This would also prevent skill farming by just going in with tons of nades, throwing them for strenght and suicide.

How we discourage lower levels from running hatchlings is we increase their rewards for killing higher level players exponentially by the differance between their levels. They would still feel the increased skill loss and there would be more to gain by going in geared.

 

This would also make players be more careful and turn the game away from CoD run and gun rambo style as there would be more to loose upon being careless in a firefight. It would also mitigate the sealclubbing.

Edited by Rincewind_wizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert

@Rincewind_wizzI would agree with what you are saying IF the game will be staying as it currently is, but that is not the case.

Hatchet runs will likely be impossible once Scavs are more difficult to deal with, and solo play is going to become exponentially more difficult as the story progresses, which will encourage/force (delete as appropriate) people to work together. Also, Karma will discourage players from the current kill-on-sight meta, and will encourage them to identify targets properly before engaging. Radios and VOIP will allow players to communicate with each other.

I'm trying not to come across as a male sexual organ here, but I feel that you should look more into the planned features of the game. You can do that here: 

And here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RokKlymer

@DanExert, one of the better articulated posts I have seen in these fora!

In terms of content, an excellent reminder of what we bought into, thanks for the reminder!

I really have nothing to add to the posts herein, other than let's all stay on track, for this topic and the game!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rincewind_wizz

@DanExert

 

The hideout combined with adding animations for magazines and meds will make the game much more tactical. More risk to combat will take away from the run and gun style of play.

 

The karma system as i gather it will only serve to make PvP exclusive to the people with max skills and top tier gear. The majority of players will just stay away from the PvP zones(NOT referencing the arena) and farm in PvE areas until they are at an equal footing. That seems VERY immersion breaking. It would lead to a massive population split. Kind of like EVE online is nowadays "carebears and griefers". The combination of PvP and PvE is one of the things that make this game really great especially since you CANNOT know the other players goals in a raid.

I go here to farm, i go there to PvP. Shoudnt it be: I go in to SURVIVE? I dont think that an artificial safety net will add to immersion. While its an interesting idea i worry about the implementation.

 

Will it be enough to mitigate sealclubbing and hatchling runners?

The karma system will only incease the hatchlings rushing high vaule loot, there would be an even smaller risk to them. The only thing that would matter is who can run the fastest to marked room. And buffing the AI? Its still an AI and it will be exploitable, only a matter of time until you see the patterns in behavior.

Having select PvP areas seems to only encourage sealclubbing or restrict it to only the veterans. Everyone can get there sure: But having ANOTHER MMO grind to PvP is not an attractive thought. It would become a form of matchmaking which the devs and myself are very much against.

 

Edited by Rincewind_wizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
12 minutes ago, Rincewind_wizz said:

The hideout combined with adding animations for magazines and meds will make the game much more tactical. More risk to combat will take away from the run and gun style of play.

Definitely agree with you here

12 minutes ago, Rincewind_wizz said:

The majority of players will just stay away from the PvP zones(NOT referencing the arena) and farm in PvE areas until they are at an equal footing. That seems VERY immersion breaking. It would lead to a massive population split. Kind of like EVE online is nowadays "carebears and griefers". The combination of PvP and PvE is one of the things that make this game really great especially since you CANNOT know the other players goals in a raid.

Where did you get PvP / PvE zones from? Apologies, I can't seem to find that in the dev roadmap. If you are referring to the Arena, that will be a separate game mode.

16 minutes ago, Rincewind_wizz said:

The karma system will only incease the hatchlings rushing high vaule loot, there would be an even smaller risk to them. The only thing that would matter is who can run the fastest to marked room. And buffing the AI? Its still an AI and it will be exploitable, only a matter of time until you see the patterns in behavior.

Hatchling runs will be further deterred by traders interacting with you based on your survival rate. Those with a super-low survival rate i.e. hatchlings, will suffer from this mechanic, which should discourage them from not caring about survival. I'm not for a moment saying it will 'fix hatchlings', I am merely speculating how the main game will play once all the planned features and mechanics are implemented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rincewind_wizz
6 minutes ago, DanExert said:

Definitely agree with you here

Where did you get PvP / PvE zones from? Apologies, I can't seem to find that in the dev roadmap. If you are referring to the Arena, that will be a separate game mode.

Hatchling runs will be further deterred by traders interacting with you based on your survival rate. Those with a super-low survival rate i.e. hatchlings, will suffer from this mechanic, which should discourage them from not caring about survival. I'm not for a moment saying it will 'fix hatchlings', I am merely speculating how the main game will play once all the planned features and mechanics are implemented.

 

This thread and the reddit thread posted within claims that the karma system will be based on rules within a raid area. Some areas are KoS some are not.

 

But it is just speculation as everything else except my proposed solutions ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DanExert
6 minutes ago, Rincewind_wizz said:

This thread and the reddit thread posted within claims that the karma system will be based on rules within a raid area. Some areas are KoS some are not.

But it is just speculation as everything else except my proposed solutions ;)

I would be very skeptical of a 2 year old, unofficial Reddit post/thread (as are the forum members in the topic ;))

Though we can indeed wait for official news on the Karma system, which I am certainly looking forward to learning about!

Thank you for interacting with this topic and speaking your mind :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2