Oranje

The Tarkov RPG and you, the beginning.

Oranje

After some consideration, i have decided to update this page with a few more pointers for beginning players.

When your profile gets approved by a GM, you will get a message from Prapor, who will tell you your account was activated. (You could also get one asking you to remake your profile post, this is done if the information you entered was not considered appropriate for the RPG, and you can remake it, and try again)

You can then immediately go to the following link on top of the screen shown here;

396644129_TextRPG.thumb.png.4be4fd0cc2b214dbfd70daef69506073.png

1003893259_CreateGroup.thumb.png.8dbf6e8bd773661ad3a6930d11dcb1e1.png

Upon reaching this screen, you are asked to fill in a group name (1), then you select a spot where you enter the map of Tarkov (2) PTG Forest, West, or City, North. And you can click (3) "create group". Now sometimes you want to join an existing group, have your group leader invite you, and you will get an invite similar to this one;

1607243495_GroupInvite.png.b80c018c127177aac947e87480c61627.png

These invites are only valid for two hours, after that it will time out, and will have to be re-sent.

After creating a group, the leader has access to the following screen under the "Manage group" (4)button;

1243228695_GroupCreated.thumb.png.58f3c427365072cc4c05e46d3893cb43.png

This will lead you to the following screen;

42798742_Behaviorformation.thumb.png.b9129add4df81999a5f542404bc30853.png

Where you can select your group behavior (5/6) Sneak/Neutral/Aggressive, Scatter/Dense/Crescent/Circle/Break up. As a player i mused that this might affect how much chance you took during an action, this could lead to increased injuries, encounters, or other random stuff, with a higher payout as a reward, as a GM, i know exactly what it's used for, but i would like to leave a little mystery, so you might have to figure it's exact function out for yourself.

7. is very important, as you and every member in your group eats one piece of ration per game turn, if for some reason you are low on rations, you could put this on manual, as you will only starve if you do not eat for two turns, so you can make your food last twice as long, at the cost of some penalties. (losing class bonuses when underfed)

The bottom part of this screen has the following options;

1305594102_Mapaction.thumb.png.822c36a079193e73dacb4f2dde83d12f.png

You always need to select a destination on the map (8), even if you do an action other then a move, as you will always move at least a little bit. Rule of thumb is around one sector per turn. You can select a destination on the other side of the map, but you will have less control over the route you take if you do (and still only travel ~1 sector per turn)

Under that is the action you and your group takes for the coming turn (9) here are more then a few options, and for the sake of mystery, i will only explain a few of them. "Search" means you will stay in the immediate area, and examine this area for useful items, like food, weapons, or equipment. "Move to destination" is your main mode of traversal of the map, and will move you closer to your selected destination on the map. "Special" is used when you enter an encounter with me or a fellow GM.

For plans (10) you can fill in what your goal is for the foreseeable few turns, maybe you are hunting for players, trying to avoid them, or after clues for a specific event, you can use map coordinates here as this information is only shared between you and the GMs.

Comment (11) is slightly redundant, but feel free to add any further information you feel relevant.

save.thumb.png.70f3bc6cfe668f742bd45929817f6992.png

Then, click "Save", this will alert the GMs that you have done everything, and are ready for the next turn to happen.

You will need to visit these screens after every turn, and change its settings if relevant, this is extremely important! (if not done every two turns, your group will be removed, to make room for other players)

After this, you are required to make a post in the thread of the game you are playing in, you are free to write whatever you want, with the following restrictions. Do not use coordinates in your post, this RPG allows for PVP, and it is never a good idea to give other players your exact location. Do not write about encountering specific people, or bad guys, this is decided by the GMs. Do not write about finding specific items, or pieces of equipment in your searches or travels, the GMs will decide what you will find. Game turns on Game-1 are every Monday and Thursday, Game-2's turns are on Tuesday and Friday.

When you are in your hideout (this location is not on the map, you can get here by either disbanding your group, dying, or at the GMs behest), you can access the shop (B) to buy and sell items and immediately add them to your inventory. you can equip weapons and equipment in your inventory (A) by selecting "use" on the item, and selecting what action you want to take with it. (items in your hideout are not accessible when in a group, and on the map)

Following is some information i wanted to share from when i was still a player, and could be used to give you a little leg up when starting.

After playing a little while in the RPG, i have some advice for beginning players.

The world of the Tarkov RPG is just as unforgiving as the real thing, and here are some things i wish i knew before i went in.

Upon entering the world, you start inside your Hideout.

All you have, is the stats you selected upon creating your character, 10 food, and 100 Rubles.

First, take along all your food, since upon each turn, one of it is consumed, and there is no guarantee you will be coming back to the hideout anytime soon.

This 10 food, will run out quicker then you'll think, since every square on the map, takes about a day to traverse, so if you move 6 squares, you will be hard pressed to return unless you find more of it.

What i specifically want to talk about, is the 100 Rubles you start with.

Going in alone is not advisable, because as far as i know, there are no quests or encounters tailored for only one player, this means you will most likely not get very far, however, you can always let chance decide who you team up with, as you will surely meet up with other players along the way (as there are only two entry points to the map)

For a solo player, consider buying the following;

40 ₽ Makarov

2.5 ₽ 50x 9x18 Ammunition

15 ₽ First Aid kit

32 ₽ 2x Multipurpose Cartridge

This leaves you with ~10 Rubles remaining, but in exchange you can shoot at things, and if you get hurt, you are able to regain some of your health.

You can off course buy an Ambulance box for 50 ₽, but you cannot use cartridges without a first aid kit, so if you find any of those alone, and you don't have a first aid kit, they're useless.

Yes, you can spend more money on better weapons, but then you will mostly go all in on winning your encounters, or getting lucky on your searches, to each their own.

Now, if you start in a group, you can do a lot more interesting things, like for example, a group of three here's what each player could buy;

100 ₽ Kedr

90 ₽ 2x Makarov

10 ₽ 200x 9x18

50 ₽ Ambulance box

15 ₽ First aid kit

32 ₽ 2x Multipurpose Cartridge

Then trade between yourselves and you are more then well equipped for those first few encounters.

You can be creative, but i would really advise to spend your starting money, it will do you no good (that i have found out) away from your hideout.

Some other notes, if you want to try something weird, or are unsure about it, ask your GMs, they are here to help you, and realize that they are also, still learning, so take it easy, and ask many questions 

For the moment, everyone will be at 100% combat readiness, no matter how injured you believe they are. (i learned this the hard way)

I hope this will be helpful to all you guys who are just starting.

I wish you all safe travels, and hope you'll enjoy this as much as us already playing

Edited by Oranje
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

NoisyCosmos

Good info there @Oranje.

• Thanks 1

SlayerWR

I like this. I didn't bother with the cartridges as I did not see them as useful at the time, I just bought a bunch of food.

MMM, Bush's Baked Beans...

:)

Oranje
9 hours ago, SlayerWR said:

I like this. I didn't bother with the cartridges as I did not see them as useful at the time, I just bought a bunch of food.

MMM, Bush's Baked Beans...

:)

The cartridges are actually extremely usefull, you are not allowed to use a medkit to heal yourself during an encounter, but you may quickly inject yourself. (I'll edit this info into my post later on)

Edited by Oranje

KugelFanger

I just cant move though. Maybe some advice on how to do that. My dude is just waiting inside hus safehouse

Oranje
1 hour ago, KugelFanger said:

I just cant move though. Maybe some advice on how to do that. My dude is just waiting inside hus safehouse

I see you just joined, this probably means you are still in the queue.

When you have the following option on your character screen;

5ad79128664e6_Screenshot_20180418-202157_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7f0459617cadef2138b4988ad8629e44.jpg

You can make your group, and head in (also invite other players)

So, either wait untill you can make your own group, or find someone already in the game (you can see who is in by who posts in the game-1 thread) and ask to join their group.

KugelFanger

Made a group, yet i still cannot move. Gives me the option to move towards a location on the map, also says how i should behave (agressive, passive) what i should so (loot, kill ect.)

I select it all and then nothing

Oranje
38 minutes ago, KugelFanger said:

Made a group, yet i still cannot move. Gives me the option to move towards a location on the map, also says how i should behave (agressive, passive) what i should so (loot, kill ect.)

Alright, then you make a post in the Game-1, Game thread, describing your actions (do not use coordinates, say you encountered x, or found y,) just a general description of what your day could have looked like.

Then on Monday and Thursday the GM will take both your overt (game thread) and covert (description on manage group, do use coords here, and put in plain English what you are trying to accomplish) and tell you what the result is.

Then you will move, or your action will resolve.

Edited by Oranje

NoisyCosmos
33 minutes ago, KugelFanger said:

It is turn based. When you are in a group and after selecting the different options in the group menu you have to write your movement, you player's story and movements, in the game section in Monday and in Thursday (two movements a week) and then wait some time (normally 24 hours) to let the GM (Game Master) to write a response to your movement.

KugelFanger

Aaah i missed the part where i needed to write a post  on the forum, thanks guys. Gonna try that

• Upvote 1

Oranje
3 hours ago, KugelFanger said:

Aaah i missed the part where i needed to write a post  on the forum, thanks guys. Gonna try that

Gotta be quick, today the GM will workout all the actions and results. :D

NoisyCosmos

Very good rework done for the tutorial! Congrats.

Edited by NoisyCosmos
  • Thanks 1

Olloch

This is so helpful.

• Thanks 1

TheWay

Amazing job with this tutorial! :) 

• Hot 1

b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2