Vorcheski

Climbing/Vaulting

Vorcheski

I'm sure some of you are rather annoyed by how restricted the jumping is. I know the game is realistic and it's to prevent things like bunnyhopping, which is fine. No one likes that stuff in most shooters, like BF or CoD.

However, because of how restricted the jumping is, sometimes it's hard to get over basic obstacles. I have flashbacks to STALKER getting stuck on every single piece of rubble trying to navigate Limansk. I played the Customs map, and there was one really frustrating part that could've ended in my death, had I not already cleared the area. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about: The ramp that scales a fence on the railroad tracks.

Anyway, a simple, yet effective solution: A vaulting/climbing option. Things that are waist-high should be scalable, and hell, maybe you can even climb over fences if they're low enough. Climbing/vaulting speed should be dependent on how much you're carrying. This should compliment the jumping, where if there's something that's rather easy to jump over, you can. There's a certain warehouse in Customs where you can get stuck behind them without jumping around to find the sweet spot. I suggest just ever so slightly increasing the jumping height to circumvent this problem. Or add a step-up when you're next to things that are shin-high! Not necessary, of course.

This could also open up some escape options, as well as new ways to enter areas that might surprise the enemy. Same goes for descending, if you're near an edge, you should have a "drop down" when you jump, to lessen the impact and sometimes even completely prevent breaking your legs. This will add a whole new tactical aspect to the game, because now some places might not be safe if you can climb around.

Although, this climbing is just a suggestion. I'm not suggesting that we all become mountain climbers, but instead do what makes sense. A chain-link fence? Climb over that sucker. 2 meter-high wall? Jump over that business! Waist-high wall that can easily be circumvented? Vault that thing! What's really necessary is a simple vaulting prompt. If climbing over fences and walls is a bit too much, vaulting is the only thing necessary. Although it might make for more engaging combat strategies if you could climb over certain walls and fences, as well as get the drop on enemy if they're underneath a rock, you know, if you don't break your legs in the process. They'd better have a splint on them.vaulting.jpg

Edited by Vorcheski
  • Like 3

gianluzzz

Dear @Vorcheski,

Welcome to the forum. As already reported in other posts and confirmed by devs as well, climbing and vaulting is in on the todo list.
I don't suppose this feature will be just basically placed by some animations, but, I suppose there is a nice work done on the back to make it realistic.
Momentary the staff has other priorities but surely this feature will be available in the future!

Vorcheski
4 hours ago, gianluzzz said:

Dear @Vorcheski,

Welcome to the forum. As already reported in other posts and confirmed by devs as well, climbing and vaulting is in on the todo list.
I don't suppose this feature will be just basically placed by some animations, but, I suppose there is a nice work done on the back to make it realistic.
Momentary the staff has other priorities but surely this feature will be available in the future!

Ah, I'd hope so. Some of this stuff really is impossible to simply jump over without making yourself a sitting target.