ShankStick

Shoreline in-game map is upside down. Why?

ShankStick

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm still actively playing. I had a question for the devs, or anyone who knows...

Why is the in-game map for shoreline upside down? If you look at the world map before you choose a location, all of the coastline is to the south. Once you enter shoreline and open up your map, the shoreline is to the north. Upon further inspection of the world map, there is no water north of the shoreline location that would be considered in that zone. Also, customs is clearly north of shoreline, but of the in-game map, you must travel southwest to that exit...

I don't see this as a major problem to fix. All that would be required is flipping the in-game map 180 degrees, and changing the direction the sun rises and sets.

What gives?

V0rt3X

Map isn't a compass irl you can turn it you know ? And maps in tarkov are supposed to be as real as they can be.

ShankStick

5abb914cdc8b8_TarkovWorldMap.thumb.png.a37f142d4826f792cb8fcd70978d4b30.png

That's not true. The sun rises on the tunnel exit side of the map. That would indicate east. If tunnel is east (as indicated by both sunrise and the map) then shoreline is north, which is wrong according to the world map.

Shoreline Map.png

Edited by ShankStick

JJamie

ya its weird when you're looking at the map and you have the extract of something called "south fence passage" and you gotta run to the "top" of the map. not to mention the east/west wings of the resort

Xenomorph0352
6 hours ago, ShankStick said:

That's not true. The sun rises on the tunnel exit side of the map. That would indicate east. If tunnel is east (as indicated by both sunrise and the map) then shoreline is north, which is wrong according to the world map.

You're right, this has been brought up before, I've seen no official comment. Everything is labeled correctly as far as keys and the such, also btw your map is a tad bit off the shore isn't true south, it's canted a bit.b4acbc0wtr701.png

• Upvote 1

ShankStick

Ahh yes, I guess I didn't mention this either. According to the features in the Shoreline location, the point on the world map is not accurate either. Based on the port area in Shoreline, it should actually be located due south of Terminal, which would make the beach point slightly north-east from left to right. What I'm gathering is that the world map is just generic artwork, depicting no accuracy in the labeled locations on it.

In addition, "Road to Customs" doesn't make any sense at all. Even if we were to assume that the map orientation were fixed, Customs is so far away, why would you call that road exit "Road to Customs"?

Edited by ShankStick

Xenomorph0352

I'm assuming it's a cultural thing but we also do it in America albeit differently. I'm hispanic and in mexico they'll call a road, "The Road to [City]" even though it has a number designation like in the US. In the US we do it as well, I'll get on i10 heading west and see a sign for San Antonio even though it's three hours away. I'm sure the same is true in the setting or within development. That is indeed the road to customs....eventually. I agree with you on the world map, I think it's an early place holder that has since become outdated and most possibly not so important to update right now. I'd take the world map with a grain of salt as far as terrain and buildings look on there. I think the cardinal directions will remain relatively the same though.

• Like 1

Cynep

Solution on windows: Ctrl + Alt + (Down Arrow)

you are welcome