Sign in to follow this  
Strokovich

Altyn and K6 helmets are not rifle rated

Strokovich

I don't know why people think this is the case (I suspect PUBG is at fault), but in reality these helmets are only rated to stop 7.62x25, 9x18 and 5.45x18 cartridges, they are officially rated as GOST level 2. There are very very few real world helmets that can actually stop rifle caliber rounds, and almost none of them were ever in mainstream production or use with military/law enforcement. Here are the only helmets I know of rated to stop rifle caliber rounds from close range.

X-shell MK-1, can resist multiple close range 7.62x39 hits with a backface deformation profile similar to those left by 9x19 on regular IIIA helmets.

Vulcan-5, rated to resist hits from steel core 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R at 5 meters.

Ceradyne ECH, rated to level IIIA+ with the additional ability to resist hits from 7.62x51 M80 ball that is traveling below 2,450 fps.

Those are the only helmets I am personally aware of that can resist rifle caliber rounds hitting directly and without extreme angle (which can allow normal IIIA helmets to deflect some rifle rounds, but this is only at range and with sufficient strike angle). As far as I know none of these helmets are being added to the game anytime soon.

shepperd

Nice post, and very insightful to know what helmets can actually stop rifle caliber bullets. I do hope the developers see this post so they have some idea on some new helmets that could be available in a future batch. 

Snork_Svk

I read about case when russian member of special assault team was shoted to back of head from AK with 7N10 bullet from distance 20-25meters and bullet go through titanium but stoped on inside layers of balistic cloth and he was only wounded but alive.
Also was many cases when Soldier was hit to Altyn helmet and bullet just reflected from titanium. Helmets are not 100% bulletproof but you need to remember no everything is direct hit, bullets can be reflected if they hit sturdy materials. Titanium have extremely more chance to reflect bullet than composite materials. Its really heavy helmet and you need more energy to snap back head in 4,5kg helmet then 1,5kg one. I dont read about case of bronken cervical spine in this helmet. If this helmet is not so good they will not to bother wearing almost 5 Kg on head. They have reason why they wear it even after so many years of experience and new materials they still use titanium one.

https://youtu.be/JqRKbPThxNw

Protect from 7N6 AK-74 at close range, but not in all areas. The bullet hit visor, but does not break helmet after it (if visor raised).  Distance of no penetration of AKM bullet - PS-43 - 300 m. In the normal. Good angles and mass of helmet can also protect you from 7.62x39 bullet from 150-200m.

I have EOD complet helmet on head more than 25 minutes which weight almost 6 kg and you know what. I dont want to do this again.

I am open to any discussion, in any case it is one of the best ways to learn something new. It should be remembered, however, that in Russia there are other ballistic norms than in the West and therefore without deeper knowledge it is difficult to compare it.

Edited by Snork_Svk
added text

Snake-Plissken

I doubt you can take a mag dump to your legs and slap some bandages on them and chug some painkillers and run around full tilt either.

I'm sure its a balance decision because if assault rifles just penetrated every helmet without even using armor penetrating bullets the rifle meta would be too powerful. Just chalk it up to a mystery of the mysterious Tarkov incident.