BossLnD657

My Honest Opinion on Escape From Tarkov

BossLnD657

BEFORE YOU COMMENT ANYTHING GOING FOR, OR AGAINST MY OPINION READ ALL OF THE POST. THIS IS COMPLETE BIAS, DON'T TAKE MY REVIEW AS HOW THE GAME IS.

SPOILERS AHEAD

(And please no flaming or aggressive behavior in the comments, i'd rather not have anyone banned)

Now, to what I actually want to say. In short, Tarkov is...different than most games of it's genre. In a survival game it can be silly and fun with adding difficulty, but I see Tarkov falling short with what I can only describe to me as "Fun". However where it shines is how you play it, and how the game works. It's much more tactical than Rust, or DayZ in some situations.

It's different, i'll give it that. Instead of the "Oh, this guy is going to kill me and take everything i've worked for! Oh no!" it has a stash to put your weapons and equipment you found in your ventures. It has AI that can, and will surround you, fill you with bullets and laugh at your corpse in their drunken and twisted mind. It's arena based, which I thought was cool. Instead of walking huge distances and finding no one, you can get into a match and cause havoc by yourself, or with friends. Trading is a very vital, and very interesting component of the game. You start with these traders giving you not so amazing weaponry or attachments. However as you do quests, buy their stock, and level, you gain reputation with that trader. As you start to continue along this road, they will open up and sell you new and exciting inventory! Perhaps something you've never seen on the field! And you can play as the AI I was talking about too, you don't choose what you have and where you start though, but you get to keep whatever you get out with. It's great for killing guys with good equipment and gaining a heads up in the world. But it's not so fun when another player becomes an AI and kills you, completely disregarding the purpose of having teammates in that mode.

Tarkov is BRUTAL, make a mistake and you can lose that shiny M4 or AK that you've hoarded for days, and modified to your dreams to some person who has a thousand of them already. God forbid someone kills you with a hatchet and loses it to the in-game AI so it gets sucked into the void. In some aspects I love this about the game, you're constantly on your feet hoping you don't get domed from behind, listening to the stomping of boots and thundering booms of firearms all around you as you quiver in fear. Unlike other games that are survival based, Tarkov takes itself too seriously for my tastes. It's what it aims to be, and does it well! I just want something lighthearted and dumb, like a weapon that can one-shot people but only has 1 cartridge (Think of the Eoka or Waterpipe from Rust),or a weapon that does next to no damage but has tons of ammo in its magazine (A BB gun would be hilarious).

It can be very tactical and slow, or run and get shot down by everyone in your immediate vicinity. Oh, and how amazing or silly you can make your weapons look and feel. Want a weapon that makes you feel like an ex-military badass? We've got you covered. Put sights, grips, flashlights, laser sights, custom stocks and barrels on your favorite weapon. The stuff you can do with an M4 is unlimited, making it a CQC flesh shredder, or long range DMR isn't difficult at all, be it you have them already, or can pay to buy them. On the other side, you can make your gun look absolutely absurd. Want to make yourself look like the Tacticool Mall Ninja of your dreams? Sure! Put 3 scopes on your weapon, maybe 3 flashlights? Oh! Maybe you want to give your glock a 50 round drum mag? Go ahead and make your desires come true, be it silly, or serious. It's honestly one of the top reasons I bought the game.

Overall the game is great for people who love high octane, hardcore, all or nothing gameplay. I just wish I could get better and get used to this game. I literally spawn and get killed instantly sometimes (I'm looking at you Factory). i really like some parts of it, but I really don't like others. If I could blend into this game easier, i'd play it non-stop. I hope you guys keep a healthy playerbase, i'd love to see this game flourish!

P.S.: Whoever was in the STALKER dev team, I love you. The STALKER series is one of my favorites, and it's really cool to see you make games again. 

Here are some examples of modded M4s in the game 

image.png.7b282b022654028d1db63e4f1b75c9c2.png

image.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Team_Speak_User

I like your review it’s more balanced than most people who do this. 

As a general comment I found it way easier and more interesting to play on night missions when starting out. And I have also since stopped playing Factory. Both of those things together increased the amount of fun I had with the game considerably. 

Also a nice thing about the game is that you can play it however you want. Or mostly however you want. So maybe a different playstyle would be best. I know most streamers play very fast paced and have reached the “end game” a long time ago, but I personally enjoy the slower paced climb.

Sometimes I just have fun sneaking around other players and escaping with my loot even if it’s not much. Only shooting a scav or two who is blocking my extract. 

But however you want to play, try it. Knowledge about what game will come with time. I’m sure people who have played longer than I can describe more in depth things to help you enjoy the game. 

And at the end of the day if you really just can’t get into it, eh, what’s the worst that happened? Maybe you payed $40 for a few dozen hours of entertainment. Going to a few dozen hours of movies would be more expensive. 

• Like 2

BossLnD657
20 hours ago, Team_Speak_User said:

I like your review it’s more balanced than most people who do this. 

As a general comment I found it way easier and more interesting to play on night missions when starting out. And I have also since stopped playing Factory. Both of those things together increased the amount of fun I had with the game considerably. 

Also a nice thing about the game is that you can play it however you want. Or mostly however you want. So maybe a different playstyle would be best. I know most streamers play very fast paced and have reached the “end game” a long time ago, but I personally enjoy the slower paced climb.

Sometimes I just have fun sneaking around other players and escaping with my loot even if it’s not much. Only shooting a scav or two who is blocking my extract. 

But however you want to play, try it. Knowledge about what game will come with time. I’m sure people who have played longer than I can describe more in depth things to help you enjoy the game. 

And at the end of the day if you really just can’t get into it, eh, what’s the worst that happened? Maybe you payed $40 for a few dozen hours of entertainment. Going to a few dozen hours of movies would be more expensive. 

Thanks! I pointed out as many positives as I could, because most people that don't want people to get it only talk about the negatives.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game. It's so fun sometimes, but kinda buggy and nonsensical too.

Team_Speak_User

Yeah I think that is the nature of challenging games in some ways.

Do you know how many times I’ve hade to just put down the controller and stop playing dark souls for a day or so?  Probably a hundred times. But I still love it. 

Same thing with this. Sometimes you get lots of kills and loot and have tons of fun. And other days it’s a struggle where you can’t seem to survive any engagements. It’s just kinda how challenging games are. 

BossLnD657
3 minutes ago, Team_Speak_User said:

Yeah I think that is the nature of challenging games in some ways.

Do you know how many times I’ve hade to just put down the controller and stop playing dark souls for a day or so?  Probably a hundred times. But I still love it. 

Same thing with this. Sometimes you get lots of kills and loot and have tons of fun. And other days it’s a struggle where you can’t seem to survive any engagements. It’s just kinda how challenging games are. 

I beat DS level 1 without wep reinforcements lol. Now that's challenging! (unless you cheese bosses as much as you can, and know the game like the back of your hand)

Team_Speak_User

2 minutes ago, TeeWizzy said:

I beat DS level 1 without wep reinforcements lol. Now that's challenging! (unless you cheese bosses as much as you can, and know the game like the back of your hand)

Well then you may be even better suited to this game than I am, if you could do that.

Just give eft some more time. And finding a group may help as well. I imagine you will be fine over time if you are determined enough to beat DS at lvl1. 

BossLnD657

EFT and DS are very, very different games lol. You don't need to care about listening (with most bosses) to beat em lol. It also helps when you've gone through it hundreds of times already

Team_Speak_User
1 hour ago, TeeWizzy said:

EFT and DS are very, very different games lol. You don't need to care about listening (with most bosses) to beat em lol. It also helps when you've gone through it hundreds of times already

Very true.

I would say the connection is that some people will give up on dark souls in their first play through, but you didn’t. I don’t know how many hours you have played EFT but you can probably consider the first 100-150 hours to be like your first play through of DS. Probably struggling all the way to the end. But soon you’ll be able to master it. Well sorta. At the very least you can get much better than at the start. 

ProgMusiciaN

Look, I'm a very new player too (2 months), but I'm happy I've been playing lots of roguelikes and ultra-hard games before I even set foot in EFT. I used to be good at shooters though, so that would be a plus for me, but EFT is much different imho. And yes I've played the heck out of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

I don't have much gear yet, (standard edition stash) but I do keep my four best guns I found, loads of keys, attachments, best ammo, couple of large mags and pistols, healing items and LOADS of roubles. But my point is, whenever I haven't recently looted a good gun, I'll just buy a backpack, a PM and 2 mags of ammo + the extra one that came with the pistol, that's what I keep going out with, to Factory. I'm at raid 900ish already and I'm feeling it serves me well because:

A) If I learn to consistently kill the AI with my little pistol, I will keep getting better at combat.

B) Every run I try to perfect my routes; What mission am I on? Where do I NEED to go in the map? Where is the decent loot that is less visited? And then I design a route based on that, to extraction. I take care of WHERE I get shot even once, and try to find a safer way of crossing that locale next time, creative solutions do wonders in these situations.

C) If I kill a player with my PM, I will feel good about myself, because I killed him with a shitty weapon. And got his loot! (Which I probably lose before extracting lol :P)

D) If I die to a geared player I can easily bear the loss and start a new round without feeling bad. Because it was only a f*cky PM and a backpack.

E) Have the chance to earn MUCH more than I invested by CHOOSING THE RIGHT CONFRONTATIONS. Which is an import aspect of mastering this game.

Then if I leave the Factory raid with nice loot, I'll take it with me the run after that to some bigger level like Customs, which means: Less chance for a confrontation, so bigger chance to keep my gun & loot, but also, more tension as Customs/Woods runs are a lot less predictable than your average Factory run.

My point being, if I fail at Tarkov in Factory with a PM, I'm still not good enough to compete with the high-end players. So I plan to keep doing that Factory -> Loot -> Bigger Map routine until I consistently survive Factory with loot so to keep myself sharp, and all the while getting better and more consistent runs. And then when I do survive (Already at 20%! Woohoo), I reward myself with playing a bigger map with a better gun!

And, I got quite rich with this tactic, on standard edition, before the event I had about 3 million roubles, so no money problems for me. This would be my suggestion, keep practicing survival with minimal equipment, only using what you find so you get better at all situations you will encounter BEFORE trying to buy the big guns, which you'd then maybe NOT lose without firing a single shot ([email protected]!!!!) because you do not yet know how to play well. >:(

Hope you can adjust my idea to your playstyle, but try to invest less in gear, so you learn the ropes quicker because one actually needs to THINK more with less gear, which will make you a better player faster.

Edited by ProgMusiciaN

AdhesiveTeflon

Best part of the game:
image.png.fecc4087178cea7f587a308ddc4570d2.png

xCrossFaith

Guys sorry for the totally not related stuff but I can't create a new post, don't know why, I simply don't have the option in the forum 

But how long does it take to get the game? I tried to buy the standard edition and it told me I have to get a 4 digit code from my bank account etc, but I've waited for more than half an hour and nothing appeared there so I cancelled the purchase for now.. What's the deal with that? 

Really want to buy this game but I won't if I have to go through all that weird stuff :/

• Like 1

BigGilli

At first I was really excited to play this game but after a several hours of playing I have to say This game is trash!! Unless you buy the top pack then you might stand a chance but if anyone bought the basic pack your fucked!! Not to mention nobody wants to team up unless your already high rank and rich! And duck the streamers that promote the game! They were given more then enough gear to win each raid from the start!! 

sneezecheese
6 hours ago, BigGilli said:

At first I was really excited to play this game but after a several hours of playing I have to say This game is trash!! Unless you buy the top pack then you might stand a chance but if anyone bought the basic pack your fucked!! Not to mention nobody wants to team up unless your already high rank and rich! And duck the streamers that promote the game! They were given more then enough gear to win each raid from the start!! 

There are people here on the forums who would love to help you understand the game better, they are called Sherpa's and you can contact them to play with them and learn the game. Don't join random people on the ingame Tarkov lobby, they'll kill you and take your stuff ( yes it's silly but logically, don't take candy from strangers )

TGLoneWolf

This game is awful. Basically long and short of tarkov is that the sexist developer hides behind alpha to steal your money. They sell new copies of the game to known cheaters over and over. If the bugs don't get ya they will. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY THE GAME IS CANCER.

RainmakerM4

Sexist developer? What?! Let me guess you are one of the SJW's that were trying to overload and ddos servers because the game is staying true to its goal and not implementing you S h i t t y female characters? :D

Edited by RainmakerM4

LoginTaken
1 hour ago, RainmakerM4 said:

Sexist developer? What?! Let me guess you are one of the SJW's that were trying to overload and ddos servers because the game is staying true to its goal and not implementing you S h i t t y female characters? :D

Jesus you are so angry over nothing. Female PMCs is not a big deal at all. Would like to see them added.

In regard to the OP.

Good review, not as hash as I intended to be.

I agree the game has appealing features. However the list of poo that is just wrong or broken is absurd. Yeah I know its a beta, but this is ridiculous. Before I considered playing the game, I did what any respectable gamer does, I watched someone else play it first. A bunch of streamers experiencing no bugs, no glitches always connecting. And when something does go wrong

"Well this is rare"

Then  I did some reading about how the game works, watched a few "How to" videos and decided it was worth a risk once I got reliable internet. Oh boy was I mistaken.

Its a unique game, yes, as the OP mentioned. It has games similar to it, but there may never be another like it. Combat is intense, looting is satisfying, maps are a good mix of sizes, weapon variety, Armor variety, ammo variety, etc etc.

However....

It takes is self way, way to serious. This is advertised as a game, but the more devs talk about the game. The more updates come out, or lack of them, its clear the goal is not a game, its a simulation. One that is designed to be a job in itself.

The amount of real time needed to do anything in this game is just absurd. Healing without meds takes 30 minutes, level up parts of the hideout can take literal days. Quest are so grindy, they lack any sense of fun and can take anything from one raid to hundreds.

" Hey go get a gold pocket watch from a room on the map that never changes which is always camped and you will have to try again and again in hopes of actually reaching the watch let alone leave with it."

Every material you will see will show it as a playable product, without serious flaws. Its praises itself on realism and being hardcore, but things that make it hardcore are just inconvenient. Healing outside of raid, equipment purchase limits, food/water are just designed to waste time. They add nothing to the actual game.

Then there is the idea that this game is designed only for groups.

I call Bullshit.

Every ad for this game, apart for a trailer and a film series (why advertise something unfinished?), is focused on the solo experience. The quest system addresses an individual, player rep is individual, group play is always addressed as a optional choice, not the go too.
Yet once you start playing and have trouble you are told one of two things.

"Get Gud" or "Get some friends"

Now those that say Get Gud, have mental issues and I understand they don't reflect the community as a whole, but the "Get some friends" comment is so ducking common.

"Hey you, go buy your friends this game or convince them to buy it themselves."

Wow solid "advice". Its like a pyramid scheme, some how your purchase will become less a waste if others waste their money.

You can try and use the in game group finder, but its abused more than not. Which begs the question. If the game is group focused, why is the group finding function the most underdeveloped feature in the game ?

I could continue but I am tired of typing. Quite frankly tired of playing. Hell I wont have time once work starts.

Game is such a chore for so little return.

xpl0its

Thanks for the write up, quite nice.

I personally want more realistic games, to many cartoon likes out there already, and not enough realistic shooters.

LoginTaken
4 minutes ago, xpl0its said:

Thanks for the write up, quite nice.

I personally want more realistic games, to many cartoon likes out there already, and not enough realistic shooters.

There are a lot of realistic shooters......

This game is goal is nothing new, the way its trying to do it is.

xpl0its
On 2/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, LoginTaken said:

There are a lot of realistic shooters......

This game is goal is nothing new, the way its trying to do it is.

Maybe you misunderstood me.

I like realistic shooters, and I'm glad a company like BSG came along giving us gamers a realistic shooter is all I was trying to say...

Edited by xpl0its

LoginTaken
4 hours ago, xpl0its said:

Maybe you misunderstood me.

I like realistic shooters, and I'm glad a company like BSG came along giving us gamers a realistic shooter is all I was trying to say...

Oh ok then. Nevermind.