Wond3rMonk3y

Silencers

Wond3rMonk3y

Silencers wear out relatively quickly compared to the guns they are used on. Overtime the silence shots less. Create a mechanic which requires regular fixing of silencers, buy new ones, or reduced effectiveness until complete breakdown. Additionally, silencers make guns less accurate. This might balance their current overuse

Jlesaistu

SUPRESSOR, do indeed need some maintenance.

it is not them actually getting broken, but more often just getting dirty and require to be cleaned.

As for actually getting broken or somethings...almost never happen actually. even suppressor than you cannot open to clean easily and need to be send for refurbishing...we speak of around 20k round so...if not more in the 50k range depending on caliber.

Edited by Jlesaistu

Wond3rMonk3y

Exactly! Something to make it more maintenance.

good silencers (cost more) don’t wear out easy but some of the cheaper ones (one of the two AK silencers( should go faster... just a dynamic suggestion

Xenomorph0352
4 hours ago, Jlesaistu said:

SUPRESSOR, do indeed need some maintenance.

it is not them actually getting broken, but more often just getting dirty and require to be cleaned.

As for actually getting broken or somethings...almost never happen actually. even suppressor than you cannot open to clean easily and need to be send for refurbishing...we speak of around 20k round so...if not more in the 50k range depending on caliber.

I say Supressors all the time too annoy the heck out of my non-military friends but to be fair the game does call them silencers.

Blak_Box
On 4/4/2018 at 2:12 PM, Xenomorph0352 said:

I say Supressors all the time too annoy the heck out of my non-military friends but to be fair the game does call them silencers.

That's because the guy that invented them, Hiram Percy Maxim, named them "silencers". The military calling them "suppressors" is not accurate, and never has been.

It's also why a handful of silencer manufacturers insist on selling them and marketing them as "silencers" - it is also their legal definition in the USA (if you fill out a form 4 and buy one - you are legally purchasing a silencer - suppressors aren't recognized as a thing) 

The military referring to them as "suppressors" was born from instructors trying to educate military recruits (who, in my experience, have an average IQ of a Venus flytrap) that the device suppresses the sound of gunfire, not eliminate, or silence it. 

Legally, traditionally, and technically - the correct term is silencer, and has been since 1908. The military wants to feel special and help new recurits not burst a precious blood vessel (just reference "side straddle hops", and "hook and loop" as other asinine examples). 

• Hot 1

Xenomorph0352
10 minutes ago, Blak_Box said:

-Snipped unimportant biased information-

As far as first posts go thanks for the history lesson nerd but I like this explanation better(seems more impartial):

Spoiler

"There's a lot of confusion & misinformation focused around the differences between a silencer and a suppressor.  In fact, it's historically been one of our top questions from customers. The simple answer is both words can be used interchangeably - meaning the terms Silencer and Suppressor refer to the exact same thing. When Hiram Percy Maxim invented the suppressor, he referred to it as the 'Maxim Silencer' in his patent and marketing materials.  

Hiram Percy Maxim

The Maxim Silencer was a big hit because of all the advantages it offered.  As a result, the word Silencer caught on quickly - and is now used as the legal definition in both state and federal regulations, as well as on all ATF forms. In reality, no 'silencer' is truly silent - so many purists prefer to use the word Suppressor, which is more technically correct since these devices are capable of reducing/suppressing the sound from a firearm and not truly silencing it. Trust us when we say there isn't a magic firearm silencer that's only available to the military.  Civilian and Military technology is exactly the same - aside from the fact that the military tends to focus requirements on low blowback and long-term reliability & the civilian market is more focused on quietness, versatility & accuracy. Unfortunately, although both terms can be used interchangeably, many people insist that only one or the other is correct - and it can be a source of contention similar to the never-ending 9mm vs .45 argument. If you want a difference between the terms, think of it like this:

Silencer - The legal definition for a firearm suppression device
Suppressor - The technical definition for a firearm suppression device"

-Your resident venus fly trap.

Edited by Xenomorph0352
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Marin3r
On 4/9/2018 at 9:18 AM, Blak_Box said:

That's because the guy that invented them, Hiram Percy Maxim, named them "silencers". The military calling them "suppressors" is not accurate, and never has been.

It's also why a handful of silencer manufacturers insist on selling them and marketing them as "silencers" - it is also their legal definition in the USA (if you fill out a form 4 and buy one - you are legally purchasing a silencer - suppressors aren't recognized as a thing) 

The military referring to them as "suppressors" was born from instructors trying to educate military recruits (who, in my experience, have an average IQ of a Venus flytrap) that the device suppresses the sound of gunfire, not eliminate, or silence it. 

Legally, traditionally, and technically - the correct term is silencer, and has been since 1908. The military wants to feel special and help new recurits not burst a precious blood vessel (just reference "side straddle hops", and "hook and loop" as other asinine examples). 

read link and then come up with a reason why you still use it. BTW read all the way to the bottom.

https://gemtech.com/blog/suppressor-vs-silencer/

just for kicks this one is just random items/brands that have been renamed or changed overtime by culture.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/56667/41-brand-names-people-use-generic-terms

In my opinion suppressor is a more descriptive term to describe 'silencer'-esque items however silencer is a terrible word for this device as it does not silence the weapon without further modification of the ammo, i.e.  subsonic munitions. So keep saying how you say it for all i care but when i hear it i'm gonna ignore the stupid ass choice of words from more than a century ago to describe a process which wasn't even fully understood at the time.

JJamie

its simple. in real life they are SUPPRESSORS and in EFT they are SILENCERS

haha

AdhesiveTeflon
On 4/9/2018 at 11:18 AM, Blak_Box said:

Civilian world wants to name the AR-15 as an assault rifle too so....nah.

necuja
On 4/4/2018 at 10:52 AM, Wond3rMonk3y said:

Silencers wear out relatively quickly compared to the guns they are used on. Overtime the silence shots less. Create a mechanic which requires regular fixing of silencers, buy new ones, or reduced effectiveness until complete breakdown. Additionally, silencers make guns less accurate. This might balance their current overuse

As this was a suggestion, not a question, it has been moved.

Now, perfect for you! This is a planned addition to the game :) silencers/suppressors will be made to degrade over time.