Gordsey

Gameplay In General

Gordsey

After playing the game for a bit, I have come to realize there is there is a huge disadvantage to new players who don't know the game.

After playing the maps a lot of times and experiencing some luck along the way I have mostly experienced frustration and disappointment when it comes to being killed and loosing all of my gear to a player who is 3,4 or 5 times my level. 

Is there any chance you could implement a server tier system where it pits you against players of similar level, for example there could be the noob server which goes from 1-5 or 10 and then the next one would go 5-10 or 10-20 etc. I think this would help with more experienced players becoming less disheartened when a hachling comes along and one shots them with a toma-hawk, also it would give the noob's a better chance at getting a foot hold in the game.

Also on another note, while playing with a friend from Canada and with him hosting, I couldn't see him at all, he was either right next to me, or a ghost, he could see me but I could not see him, I don't know if this is a server issue  with it being in beta or if it was a problem on my part, I am yet to try and play with someone from the UK and hope to do so soon, however will there be a fix for this if it is a server issue. 

My main point is the pitting of experienced players against noob's. I understand other games so it etc but most games have a system in place where noob's get to stand a chance and "Get Good". 

In the games that do pit experienced players against noob's the stakes are nowhere near as high in this game. A couple of games could completely wipe you out and lead you to never playing again due to a few recurring bad experiences.

Let me know if any of you agree or disagree with my points here. 

FUN HUNTING!

• Sad 1

Pr8Dator

This is why the offline PVE exist. I spent a long long time playing in offline PVE mode to know the maps, know my tactics, know how my character works, where exactly does the sounds I hear come from etc etc... without these down, there is no way you can survive in the current PVP structure. But once you get it down, you are going to see some good results. I am only level 12 and I frequently kill players higher level than me. So, level really don't count as much in this game as long as you git gud first through the PVE. (and know how a fort armor guy look like and run from him)

In the end of the day, this isn't a competitive shooter like Rainbow Six Seige where the game design filtered everything out so only player skills makes a difference. In a game like this, tooooo many other factors come into play other than just player skill... there's character progression, weapon progression, armor progression, LUCK (which is a HUGE part of this game and something that rarely counts as a factor in a competitive shooter. You could be unlucky and fracture a leg early due to a misstep, you could get unlucky where a stray bullet catches your helmet and RNG made it that it actually penetrates and RNG again made it that it fragmets for full dam and you die in an instant... too much luck and RNG in this game, just like real life) etc. All of these added up to the point where there really isn't a need at all for an ELO tier system. Just my 2 cents.

This game is the Darksoul of shooters... it will be punishing... (if it doesn't make you wanna smash your monitor, this game isn't doing its job. :) )

But once you get over the initial learning curve, it will be one of the most rewarding game you will ever play. Even today, I am still gloating over that round that I just survived, how I got those kills, looted those body, how I escaped with my hands literally trembling and sweating all over my mouse and the relief and how I jumped out of my seat and shouted YEAH!!! Its for these moments we play EFT. :) Enjoy the ride!

Edited by Pr8Dator
  • Upvote 1

renderbroken

It isn't too costly to bring out a handgun and farm scavs at first. If you can slow play it, you should be just fine.  You will start to get the hang of the different sounds and know where people are located. Maybe if the server had more players to chose from, pitting ppl against each other that are near the same level would be nice but it would not be as rewarding as doing a proper squad wipe with way less gear. Only problem with this idea is that there might not be enough ppl trying to join the map at the same time to then sort by player level. 

My biggest tip to new players if bring out a Vepr. it gives you the best fighting chance and allows you to better place your shots. Take your scav through customs and pickup left over loot. Play it a bit slower and keep an eye on the clock. If you are getting down to the last 10 minutes, you know that any geared players are most likely at their respective extractions and should let you breath a bit easier. Also, pull up an extraction map on your phone or another monitor. If you double tap "o" it will tell you what your extraction points are, so when I get into the match as a scav, I plan out the path I will take to get to that point. 

Once you get the hang of it, you will find that its actually pretty easy to make decent money and stay geared. Even if you die alot. 

• Like 1

Pr8Dator

Just to share a tip how I survived early so you can too:

1. Keep playing SCAV! Use the SCAV to keep getting loot and money for your main character.

2. Keep doing step 1 until your character is fully decked with fort armor, a good ballistic helmet, IFAK medikit, and a reliable weapon with a red dot like the AK74.

3. Play that character. Make sure you insure everything. Its still cheaper to pay insurance than buy new.

4. If you die, return to step 1.

5. If you survive, improve on your character and then go back to step 2. Keep doing it until you eventually die... its going to happen. At this time, you should be rich enough to deck out your character nicely for  step 2 again. Keep doing it until you lose everything... yes, its going to happen, its part of the design haha. Then go back to step 1 again.

If you follow these steps, you will start having fun again. :)

And oh, NEVER fall in love with your gun. If you do, you are going to die a lot.

Finally, if you are sadistic like me and love to experience all of these within minutes... play only factory hahaha I play only factory! Thats where the adrenalin rush is!

Edited by Pr8Dator
  • Upvote 1

Forien
31 minutes ago, Gordsey said:

Is there any chance you could implement a server tier system where it pits you against players of similar level, for example there could be the noob server which goes from 1-5 or 10 and then the next one would go 5-10 or 10-20 etc

No. That simply won't work.

They announced major patch with wipe this Thursday. This means, that every players – regardless of his/her experience – will begin fresh, from level 1. Your proposed "leveled tier system" wouldn't do ANYTHING at all.

Also, after a release, this could work for a month or two. But after that, I would guess that 90% of community would have already 20+ lvl, even the most lazy players. And then there is a single newbie that just bought game. He is level 1. He can't find any match, because there is nobody on his level.

I won't even start taking on added complexity of matchmaking or that it would break something that imho is essential to this game: lack of information about your enemies.

23 minutes ago, Pr8Dator said:

In the end of the day, this isn't a competitive shooter like Rainbow Six Seige where the game design filtered everything out so only player skills makes a difference

You clearly don't play R6S. Or you play only ranked. And I'm not going into ranked discussion, because EfT is not going to be e-sports title. 

But on R6S casual mode, you can be a copper (lowest rank) fighting diamonds (best rank). 

So, if even semi-casual arcade game like R6S doesn't filter players by rank, then why should a HARDCORE game do it?

PS. I get your frustration, but what are you proposing is treating the symptomes, not the source. If you divide players by level, then you will constantly get more hard enemies, regardless if you get better or not. And (hypothetically) you might end up having level 80 and dying from level 20s. So nothing would change, except possible exclusion of low-level players that won't be able to find a match.

Or you propose a "skill tiered system", but then you divide community. And if, by any chance, game decides you got better, you will be slaughtered, because you are not adapted to this new skill level. And every "tier" would have different meta that would further divide community. 

TL;DR: 
Neither level-tier system nor skill-based tier system will work in EfT. This game is not built with e-sports in mind. It will either break the feeling of the game, break matchmaking for players that are "alone in their tier", or it will simply won't work (for example after a wipe). 

PPS: just a BTW thought: gear-score is even worse idea on many levels. And while level-based matchmaking (but not exclusive, but more like "game will try to match you with similar levels, but in the end you might end lvl 5 vs lvl 90") can make a little sense (but imho will be useless), then gear-score or elo-based system are just plain terrible. 

Edited by Forien

Pr8Dator
3 minutes ago, Forien said:

No. That simply won't work.

They announced major patch with wipe this Thursday. This means, that every players – regardless of his/her experience – will begin fresh, from level 1. Your proposed "leveled tier system" wouldn't do ANYTHING at all.

Also, after a release, this could work for a month or two. But after that, I would guess that 90% of community would have already 20+ lvl, even the most lazy players. And then there is a single newbie that just bought game. He is level 1. He can't find any match, because there is nobody on his level.

I won't even start taking on added complexity of matchmaking or that it would break something that imho is essential to this game: lack of information about your enemies.

You clearly don't play R6S. Or you play only ranked. And I'm not going into ranked discussion, because EfT is not going to be e-sports title. 

But on R6S casual mode, you can be a copper (lowest rank) fighting diamonds (best rank). 

So, if even semi-casual arcade game like R6S doesn't filter players by rank, then why should a HARDCORE game do it?

PS. I get your frustration, but what are you proposing is treating the symptomes, not the source. If you divide players by level, then you will constantly get more hard enemies, regardless if you get better or not. And you might end up having level 80 and dying from level 20s. 

Or you propose a "skill tiered system", but then you divide community. And if, by any chance, game decides you got better, you will be slaughtered.

TL;DR: 
Neither level-tier system nor skill-based tier system will work in EfT. This game is not built with e-sports in mind. It will either break the feeling of the game, break matchmaking for players that are "alone in their tier", or it will simply won't work (for example after a wipe). 

I have been in RB6S longer than you can imagine haha but I am addressing the game design there even though  you are right to point out that casual mode is not skill ranked. What I am saying is that skill ranking and tiering makes sense for games such as RB6S due to the game design itself keeping everything else equal so only player skill matters. Thats what makes an esport title. This is why EFT  can never, will never and won't need tier system. :)

• Like 1

kaokane

am starting to think people just didn't read what this game is and what it being designed as its hardcore first person survival shooter with realism in mind 

in real world you don't know the skill of your enemy just like you don't know what eqp your enemy is using 

people don't seem to understand that this game was never intended to be played as a causal shooter like cod or bf

its hardcore realism shooter its the way the devs said they want there game to be design as so there never gonna be a tier matchmaking or skill base match making in this game defeats the whole purpose of a hardcore survival shooter 

like really you guys should have read the giant black and white words on there front page of the website before you bought this game 

HARDCORE SURVIVAL FIRST PERSON SHOOTER its literally in black and white on the front page of the website 9_9 like come on

KugelFanger

I see this more and more, and maybe bsg should implement an option for players that are 0-10 to join beginners servers. Not forcing so they have an option to join both, also if they group up with higher lvl players this would be deactivated. But i do not like the system where players are matched up lvl wise, you are not in disadvantage if you are lower lvl learn the maps and get the drop on someone that is how this game is played. Yes the learningcurve is steap but you will get the hang of it

• Upvote 1

Peerun

I thought we are in testing mode. I don't expect current gameplay when game is done. I expect to Escape, not grind.

Pr8Dator
7 hours ago, Peerun said:

I thought we are in testing mode. I don't expect current gameplay when game is done. I expect to Escape, not grind.

What would you do after the escape is done then?

Peerun

Probably go for another run. All I am saying is, I don't expect the game to be about getting to a point where you can get any gear you want and then just playing for the PvP. Even just the persistent health/injuries will reduce that a little, but if iirc there's supposed to be an arena mode at some point, which tells me, among other things(like the official About - "Story-driven scenario based walkthrough as one of the multiplayer gamemodes. ...and escape from Tarkov alive.") that this won't be a thing - in that part of the game.

Also offline mode is only in for alpha afaik.
I'm confident most people know this.