KentuckyFriedSpy

Netcode is still horrendous.

KentuckyFriedSpy

Are there going to be actual fixes to this terrible netcode? It seems every raid I get into I die or I kill someone because peekers advantage is extreme, projectiles also have the tendency to not register server side resulting in scenarios where the players aiming accurately and bursting to hit their shots are punished while the players that run full speed ahead using hipfire are rewarded with the kill... Netcode fixes need to be of top priority especially in a game where the majority of the combat is PvP and don't even get me started on how the netcode affects the scavs at this point. 

• Like 1

KillerOyster
20 minutes ago, KentuckyFriedSpy said:

Are there going to be actual fixes to this terrible netcode? It seems every raid I get into I die or I kill someone because peekers advantage is extreme, projectiles also have the tendency to not register server side resulting in scenarios where the players aiming accurately and bursting to hit their shots are punished while the players that run full speed ahead using hipfire are rewarded with the kill... Netcode fixes need to be of top priority especially in a game where the majority of the combat is PvP and don't even get me started on how the netcode affects the scavs at this point. 

I don't know about you but for me it's a lot better after the patch , though peekers advantage is still a problem but atleast BSG is making progress here , one step at a time I guess

• Confused 1

KentuckyFriedSpy
4 hours ago, KillerOyster said:

I don't know about you but for me it's a lot better after the patch , though peekers advantage is still a problem but atleast BSG is making progress here , one step at a time I guess

I would love to say that I have seen progress with the netcode but at this point I can't, it seems to be at it's worst state right now. Previous patches I could easily take someone down with any gun but now it seems half the shots aren't even coming through server side, it is annoying to die to someone that seemingly took a whole magazine from an AK knowing you could not have done a thing on your end to have won that gun fight.

I am starting to worry that this issue will never be fixed properly, especially for the people in countries that have a ping of 40> most of the time ie. Australia

Chaos_Theorist

agreed.   every game shows visible signs of huge desync.   trying to stick it through but mind end up shelfing till it gets better

• Like 1

KentuckyFriedSpy
1 hour ago, Chaos_Theorist said:

agreed.   every game shows visible signs of huge desync.   trying to stick it through but mind end up shelfing till it gets better

Yeah I agree I wish I could shelf the game for a while but the game is too unique so much so that there isn't really any other game like it out there and when it works the way it is meant to the game is amazing but unfortunately it comes with it's caveats, hopefully the devs get these things patched up sooner than later.

LunaTerra

I think this patch has been the worst for Desync for me. 

• Upvote 1

alex8xela

Yeah I agree, however for me, I play with US people most of the time when I play in a group (I live in EU) and I get around 150 ping and I can honestly say that the hit reg seems to be OK, however the firefights that I have been in so far have not been that intense. So I reserve judgement until I have played some more matches.

The most annoying thing for me is how doors are open for one person but appear closed for another.
Or a dead scav sniper scav died up top and did not fall down on my screen, but then my friend see's the fallen body down on the ground and is able to loot him...

Endonium

i only play as a scav, no point in feeding my stuff to other players since apparently desynch affects some and not others.

some bullshitters on this forum claim they go their whole EFT time without single lag, or desynch.

fine with me, duck you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mibarri

Game is unplayable in terms of using guns. I’m just hatchling it up till the afternoon people get off. Cuz this is dumb.

• Like 1

Mibarri

I would much rather have the net code resolved than have more content.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Jinaie

I hope it will be solve soon cause animation and gameplay is unplayable.

I sometimes loot dvl or M1A to get kill by "god" i guess somewhere, so i quite annoying to cut people 8 times and die or shoot all round for nothing but dying ....

Please read this and correct this for good ...

Zybane

I think the core mechanics and the extremely bad netcode may not be fixable. All they can do is add new content I guess. If they cannot fix the netcode, they will be forced to focus on fluff. 

sthomas1930

So I am going to try not a pile on here but this issue will be the death knell for this game... 

I have a few reasons for saying that. One, inherently, this kind of game where a player takes a large risk every time they enter a map cannot suffer from a situation where the player doesn't trust the "fairness" of the situation. If they are killed in a firefight and there is blatant evidence that desync caused the loss of their equipment, it is going to leave a bad taste and make them think twice before bringing in a fully kitted gun / armor. Two, given that this desync issue is rather well documented and has been a consistent issue for this game, even if BSG "fixes" it and gets it in line with other major titles, it will remain an issue for the community. Since right now, when any of us are killed in a raid and there is even the inkling of desync, people will assume the issue was never resolved as over the past year, we have received assurances that it has been worked on but it still remains a major issue.

TLDR: This games foundation is built on a players trust in the combat system. As soon as the general consensus becomes that the gunfights don't matter because the outcome depends on whether or not the server gods blessed you, this game dies. Oh, and stop putting the "improved network optimization" in every patch note, if there isn't a tangible change then that line will just erode any trust remaining in the community.

Edited by sthomas1930
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 5

Zybane

Yes, unfortunately survival type or battle royale type games in which you put a lot of time and effort on the line when you play need the best netcode and anti-cheat measures. A game in which you put so much effort into and can be wiped away instantly by bad netcode/bugs/cheating will not last long. 

One reason why I quit playing PUBG and the playerbase in that game is on a serious decline. There is only so much time you can waste to bad design and cheating and not get fed up. 

8mob8

ever wonder why klean shoots hip all the way across the factory? NOW YA KNOW lol 

triko
3 hours ago, Mibarri said:

I would much rather have the net code resolved than have more content.

Man fix netcode is really meticoulos job and require a lot of time and a lot of experience and I think that in the Battelstate team there are a few of programmer the dedicate time to netcode. As Nikita said everyone have them role and they got little team to work on Gameplay, netcode, graphics, 3D models etc etc :D

ConnorMagill

Well they said it will come with open beta. Do I believe that, of course not. But until then getting killed behind cover, through cover, after a few seconds is basically just normal gameplay. This is the number 1 online multiplayer game when it comes to desync.

• Upvote 1

Endonium
4 hours ago, 8mob8 said:

ever wonder why klean shoots hip all the way across the factory? NOW YA KNOW lol 

Explain please ?

xmode
On 25/04/2018 at 2:14 PM, KentuckyFriedSpy said:

Are there going to be actual fixes to this terrible netcode?

Seeing as you asked so nicely I'll pick this thread out of the literally dozens of complaint threads about this subject.

It was previously stated part of the issue with the netcode was how unity tied it in to the physics system. We now have a new physics system (you know, that thing that wouldn't let you walk down stairs properly for a bit) which in of its self wouldn't have been an easy thing to create. I expect this needed to be done before any meaningful work on improving the netcode could be done. 

Its also been stated more than once that 'fixed netcode' is not going to be something that just happens over night. Its not just flicking a switch from bad to good. It takes many many months of creating, then many more months of fine tuning and optimizing. I doubt any but the most basic of this work was started prior to the new physics system being implemented.

So will BSG be able to actually fix it? No idea, but its not going to be fixed properly for a long time yet.

• Like 1

Malevolent1
1 hour ago, xmode said:

Seeing as you asked so nicely I'll pick this thread out of the literally dozens of complaint threads about this subject.

It was previously stated part of the issue with the netcode was how unity tied it in to the physics system. We now have a new physics system (you know, that thing that wouldn't let you walk down stairs properly for a bit) which in of its self wouldn't have been an easy thing to create. I expect this needed to be done before any meaningful work on improving the netcode could be done. 

Its also been stated more than once that 'fixed netcode' is not going to be something that just happens over night. Its not just flicking a switch from bad to good. It takes many many months of creating, then many more months of fine tuning and optimizing. I doubt any but the most basic of this work was started prior to the new physics system being implemented.

So will BSG be able to actually fix it? No idea, but its not going to be fixed properly for a long time yet.

You're probably right. Now lets elaborate further on that... this netcode they spoke of that was changed, was supposed to be better than previous versions. It's not. I can tell you in 0.7 I had a few small issues, but nowhere near the amount of stupidity this one has.

Netcode is the most basic thing that needs to be fixed first and foremost. It needs to be tested, and not just 3 days on internal testing, they need to EXTENSIVELY test it with hotfixes in order to fine tune it. Not doing that is a basic disregard for the netcode. They can physically see it all over the forums that the majority of players do not agree that the netcode has been fixed in any way shape or form. It has been reworked, and we can all tell. Now, the other issue is that in order to fine tune this netcode, as you so said... will be over time. We all understand this, but transparency is lacking from developers to community on a level that's unprecedented when it comes to games being worked on.

The transparency I speak of is regarding fixes, changes, and fine-tuning / optimization. There is absolutely no transparency. All we're told is "its being fixed and worked on," which is vague. Vague can sometimes eliminate further discussion, but most of the time it creates exacerbated postings like such. There has literally been a flux of 20+ topics regarding netcode recently. Until recently, I didn't touch them, I just dealt with the issues I was having and tried to find ways around it. Even with server selection, we're still getting hammered with desync and stutters. The biggest, and most ferocious issue we all face is the desync. We've proven time and time again that it has only gotten worse by gifs, vides, and clips from twitch, youtube, and obvious reddit. I can tell you right now the only way they're going to fix it within a decent amount of time is to hire on senior programmers who have experience with optimization of Unity and the backbone of the server-side/client-side aspects of it. In order to do that they need money, but let's be very honest here... they have made a killing already from the amount of support they've got for this game. They could easily afford to hire a few more senior programmers for server and client variations as well as a few programmers to tackle the issues with desync and then move the guys they have working on the core of the game, who are taking time out to work on the netcode, focus solely on the core and content as they have tried to do for us.

While I appreciate their efforts to bring us new content to keep us occupied, and from whining senselessly, the problem still exists that in order for us to even begin to have fun on the already existing maps... we need a revised netcode that has been tested and proven to work almost flawlessly over extensive testing and analysis. Not just solely done with internal testing. Internal will always show decent progress because you don't have a massive influx of players connecting and jamming the databases and servers up. If they were to open the beta up to a crowd of say... 10k, and then let them do a "phase" testing for the rest of us, but their accounts are locked specifically to beta testing that phase... we'd get somewhere with it, and they'd possibly draw at least 2k more people in revenue to procure more funds for programming purposes.... business and marketing helps, but when you have more people to help test something of that nature, it creates STRIDES of progress rather than scuffles of the feet.

I just want to see the netcode optimized and fixed first and foremost. Bring me the content, but give me that last... address the major issues with netcode / desync and the cheaters first. Cheating will always be around, so throw some updates towards the anti-cheat and then get back to content. Priorities.

• Like 4
  • Hot 1

gdubmx

My last couple of raids have been very frustrating due to this desync, getting hit with a hatchet 3 metres away from the enemy etc.. Its weird cus every unity game I've played except maybe 1 or 2 has had some weird optimization issues which never get fixed and/ or atrocious net coding. While on cheating, what is currently being exploited or how are these people cheating? Cheaters are like rapists in my opinion 

• Like 2

Zybane

Sometimes it's best for the developer to bite the bullet and pay for a contract team to come in and fix a special problem like this netcode. Not sure if their funding would allow that. 

Viper0hr

I don't know if the ads are still up, but they have been trying to hire netcode coders for a year or something now, but they are located in St Petersburg (I think) in Russia and require the person live there, which I think is what is causing the lack of fixes/progress with it.

If that is still the case I think they just need to bite the bullet and contract to someone(s) outside the country to help them resolve this issue now.

I mean, it's "Beta" and there are still major netcode issues...Not even mentioning the 1 map a year thing...

8mob8
6 hours ago, Endonium said:

Explain please ?

On 4/25/2018 at 1:14 AM, KentuckyFriedSpy said:

projectiles also have the tendency to not register server side resulting in scenarios where the players aiming accurately and bursting to hit their shots are punished while the players that run full speed ahead using hipfire are rewarded with the kill

KentuckyFriedSpy

My main worry for EFT is the fact that it runs on the Unity engine. While I do see the pros and cons of every engine out there like CryEngine, Unreal Engine etc. I do feel like the developer's choice to use Unity rather than something like UE4 for a game of this type, will ultimately hurt the game. Unless they get support from the Unity team (since this seems to be one of the biggest projects being made on Unity at the moment) I don't see the major problems being fixed for quite a long time. Too many issues come from using Unity, for example the fire rate of weapons being tied to the frame rate which you would think was controlled by set parameters, the physics system messing around with server and client stability and others. It's a shame really because when I first experienced EFT back in Alpha, I could not believe that a game so in-depth could be made on Unity, which ultimately led me to see Unity as a much more viable game engine but the more I look into the problems of Unity games (not only EFT) the less hope I have for the game. It really sucks that network issues are the main problem of this game and especially this patch as I love the combat at the moment, everything feels viable, even the 9x18mm and 7.62x25mm rounds.

Edited by KentuckyFriedSpy