Ikari-Kun

How to End Hatch-lings for Good

Ikari-Kun

Most people I've seen in the discussion boards are going about this the wrong way I feel like I should relay my opinion.
Every suggestion I've heard regarding this issue has been down right terrible and usually include adding some sort of mechanic that punishes you for only bringing a hatchet to a raid. Thats a terrible idea, you really want to stray away from punishing players for doing actions you didn't intend them to. Instead it is better to reward players for doing the actions that you do want them to do. 

The main issue here is that the hatchlings themselves aren't the problem, they're only a symptom. I've asked several people including friends who play the game and unknown players I've met on the Escape From Tarkov Unofficial discord. The main reason why people go on hatchet runs is because they are broke and need money for their next raid. I think, and hear me out here, the game should give you currency for completing certain actions in the raid even if you die. This can include complex objectives like participating in events, completing task objectives and simple stuff like killing scavs or pmcs. The amount of money you receive as a reward (at least for killing) should correlate and vary depending of the gear you took out on the raid. So lets say you bring in a makarov and kill one scav and then immediately die, you would receive 500 rubles for that scav you killed with a pistol HOWEVER if you bring in an M4 and kill a scav you will receive 5,000 rubles for that scav(even if you die). 
You can really play around with this! If you would receive 400 Euros for every PMC you kill with an ASVal I'm pretty sure we'll see a lot more as vals and a lot less hatchets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ikari-Kun

You can obviously add a cap to this mechanic so it's not exploited. 

astainless

Wrong. Some are out of gear.  A lot are loaded but farming quest ore trade items. Tarkov is tough. They can scav a pistol or do scav runs. If you play right you can go from empty to a full weapons locker in 2 hours. It's a hardcore game not a hand holding walkthrough. Do the quests for more. I am loaded on gear and do it for the challenge of going from hatchet to geared out in 1 raid. It's not COD. You have to play tactically.

KugelFanger
8 hours ago, astainless said:

Wrong. Some are out of gear.  A lot are loaded but farming quest ore trade items. Tarkov is tough. They can scav a pistol or do scav runs. If you play right you can go from empty to a full weapons locker in 2 hours. It's a hardcore game not a hand holding walkthrough. Do the quests for more. I am loaded on gear and do it for the challenge of going from hatchet to geared out in 1 raid. It's not COD. You have to play tactically.

This. And then you have the people that have gear fear, or people that are just plain hoarding.

Once we had a player in our clan that was loaded. Talking 1mill dollars over 5mill roubles, m4's for days (total decked out) snipers everywhere. This dude never ever took any of it out, instead he took a makarov out and looted all our kills, because he was poor he said. Needles to say he lost everything at the wipe. But why he never took anythinh out IDK gearfear and an unhealthy supply off hoarding i guess.

Anyway whatever mechanics you put in place hatchlings will always be there, no matter what.

• Like 1

Ikari-Kun

Okay but why do they do quest objectives as hacthlings? Why do people have gear fear? Why do people hoarde???
It all comes down to the money and the accessibility of getting everything you need to have a decent chance of survival. This system will probably not get rid of 100% of hatchet runners but it will definitely bring down their numbers significantly. 

Also saying "This isn't cod" is never an excuse for mediocre game design  

Cevune

I don't really get the rage here. Who cares if people are hoarding, have gear-fear, or whatever? If that's how they want to play, let em do it. If you want to take big risks that's your prerogative. I don't see any need for action here. Especially since "Hatchlings" are frankly easy to kill. They're putting themselves at a disadvantage, why does it bother you to have the upper hand? Thing is, when resources are limited, sheepishness and hoarding are inevitable. It happens in MMOs or even just standards RPGs and hoarding potions. People have 99x of them and still refuse to use them because "what if I need them later?". The only thing that will ever stop this is for the player themselves to make the conscious decision that loss is acceptable, and that refusing to use resources is effectively the same net result as never having them in the first place. Mechanics aren't needed, friendly coaching or ideological exchange is.

I also can't stand the "this is hardcore" crutch. You're literally just using buzzwords to try and tell people they're enjoying entertainment wrong. It's absolutely pretentious. 

• Like 1

galbar
On 5/2/2018 at 6:49 AM, astainless said:

Why take nothing to loose nothing it is not tactical ?

Of course players runs quests, all players don't buy the mega pack with a big pouch and a big inventory where to stock lot of weapons ;)

And sorry but when I put a hatchet headshot (in the back !) and when I see the guy runs after ... huuuuuu .... ok so realistic

Edited by galbar

HappyCamper
On 5/3/2018 at 5:14 AM, Ikari-Kun said:

Also saying "This isn't cod" is never an excuse for mediocre game design 

Well it is, it is always CODs fault.

And since you made up a bunch of "facts" without any actual data to support it you will get replies like this. Just because you think something is true won't make it true. And just because someone disagrees with you won't make his arguments wrong.

You might have done better if you took the time to explain why you think hatcherrunners are a bad thing to start with. Following that with a possible solution, without stating that your views are the only right way and selling them as facts. That is how you start a discussion instead of starting a flaming war.

UmbrellaCorp2

i understand the frustration on this game i lose a lot but we must understand that this game has its meaning this is not a cod game but more realism . their  are  reasons why scav mode is there to loot. and raid is to treat it as if it's real life. but getting rewarded for losing just loses its meaning of this game. hoarding is okay but doesn't mean they can join every game just bad timing. i love this game but yet i hate it lol but when i escape scav or raid i feel reward. and that's a feeling that this game focuses on.

LasseNielsen

Just add more scavs... Different kind of scavs. level of gear and such. Better geared scavs add more loot to the map. That actually will require work.

We have all been there. Doing a quest to kill 12 scavs here on this map. And you run around for 40 min and maybe find 1 or 2...

An example. How about having a group of 3-4 scavs spawn in front of techlight on interchange, they could be sitting/standing around a burning barrel talking to each other. So you could sneak up on them and take them out quietly with your team.

But they will "wake up" if they hear near by gunshots or PMC's running close to them.