23Link89

Why can't I install the game on a drive other than my C:/ drive?

23Link89

I've noticed recently after installing Escape from Tarkov that I'm running really low on space, after digging around in my C:/ drive I found that EFT is installed on C:/Battlestate Games/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data and I know this is the game install directory because it's 8.5G and has the same name all Unity games for it's game data ("Game name"_Data). And for users like me who have an SSD as their primary drive, this is a problem. I'm now running dangerously low on space and I'm starting to get crashes because of it. So for the love of drunken Russian retardation, could we please fix this?

Chouette

I installed it on another drive, no issue (SSD, E:). You probably forgot to change the default installation path.

Also, I have the launcher on C: drive.

Try changing the path in the "Settings" tab of the launcher (scroll down, "Game directory", "Set the path to existing game installation").
Make sure to select an empty folder, not the root of the drive, there was an issue with that where the content of the target location was deleted.

Edited by Chouette
  • Thanks 1

jarcko

I'm Not sure if you have the same problem as I had, But I tried to move the folder from one drive to another. The game launcher told it me had to run off the drive it was originally installed on. Now, I can't remember if I did the uninstall or just deleted it from the old one but when I ran the launcher to reinstall I was unable to change the install path.

My Fix - I searched the registry for "Battlestate" and found many items. deleting all that I found pertaining to Tarkov. After each delete I tried installing, no luck on most. After Deleating the folder with Tarkov items in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall". This seamed to contain the install path to the game. 

Hope this helps.

Running Windows 10, Not sure if Registry is different for 7 or 8.

Edited by jarcko

PsiloCap
New folder worked thanks, weird that it had to be a new folder

sixiz

i know this is an old post but i ran into the problem where i was being told that i couldn't install to my desired directory over and over with no reason given.   after some searching i read the suggestion that the only way to change the installation directory (different drive desired in my case) was to install it only to a folder named "BattleState Games".      that's the only way that i've found that you can change the initial installation location.  it will only install to a folder of that name.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

IEmpathize

Creating a new folder and downloading it under the folder worked for me. Thank you.

hallettnr

In case anyone is still running into this problem I think I found the solution which is actually incredibly easy.

I tried absolutely everything listed above to change my install path using that option on the launcher prior to installing the game and I kept getting the same messages you are getting.

Simply click the install button anyways and it will pop up another window that will allow you to change the drive. I changed it on there and it worked no problem. I'm not entirely sure why they include some option prior to installation that doesn't even seem to work properly, it just causes confusion.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

Soviet47
On 12/11/2019 at 2:22 AM, hallettnr said:

In case anyone is still running into this problem I think I found the solution which is actually incredibly easy.

I tried absolutely everything listed above to change my install path using that option on the launcher prior to installing the game and I kept getting the same messages you are getting.

Simply click the install button anyways and it will pop up another window that will allow you to change the drive. I changed it on there and it worked no problem. I'm not entirely sure why they include some option prior to installation that doesn't even seem to work properly, it just causes confusion.

worked for me too, thanks my friend

• Like 1

Drewfus

I can't believe i didnt see that... was reeling over this for a solid hour trying to find a solution and it was litereally RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. lmao thankyou my guy i really really appreciate it!

PayYeti

I have tried a lot of this stuff and still cant get the game to install from the launcher. Im getting a ("user action required" Unable to load the file Client.0.12.2.5485.zip)  after i exit it i then receive a error  http://cdn-11.eft-store.com/clientdistribs/0.12.2.5485_01ac28d7-4e8c-4d23-ba16-0f6e6a89e6a6/client.0.12.2.5485.zip file download error.. 

Anyone got something for this? been stuck on this for three days and cant figure it out. 

BlackPoweRanger

I found a solution. For example, in my E drive I had the Battlestate Games Folder that I had copied from my C drive onto my E, I redownloaded the launcher onto my C drive and then changed the path and uninstalled it, afterwards I went too my Battlestate Games folder went too Temp and opened the Launcher Distributer. This then allowed me to switch the install path to the E drive instead of the C drive. Seems to have worked for me just fine. Let me know if it helps anyone else.                                                                             

havesword

i just paid the £40 for this, and cant play/install...

I HAVE NOT A GOD DAMM CLUE WHAT IM DOING!! only just bought my pc last week..   first gaming pc i have ever had.

i literally need someone to come round my house and sort this convoluted mess out please.

if your in hampshire uk, and know computers please help i will pay you.

AlwaysPrepa-

In my case: I always download games and launchers onto my D:/ drive. I only have Windows on my C drive. I initially downloaded the launcher onto my D drive using the install link in teh email after purchase. Got it installed and opened where it now tried to install the game itself. This is where i ran into problems and confusion. The install locations by default shows that its getting installed into the C drive, HOWEVER - After an hour I said duck It and let it go to C drive but instead it just changed to D drive after clicking install/accept. I think as long as you install the launcher in the drive that you want, you can still install the game, it will just lie and indicate that its getting installed into C drive when its really being installed to the drive of your choice, All you have to do is overlook the visual deception and keep clicking and going through with the default install (but ONLY as long as you installed the launcher in the same drive that you want the game in)

Kanalthunder
On 2/10/2020 at 8:36 AM, AlwaysPrepa- said:

In my case: I always download games and launchers onto my D:/ drive. I only have Windows on my C drive. I initially downloaded the launcher onto my D drive using the install link in teh email after purchase. Got it installed and opened where it now tried to install the game itself. This is where i ran into problems and confusion. The install locations by default shows that its getting installed into the C drive, HOWEVER - After an hour I said duck It and let it go to C drive but instead it just changed to D drive after clicking install/accept. I think as long as you install the launcher in the drive that you want, you can still install the game, it will just lie and indicate that its getting installed into C drive when its really being installed to the drive of your choice, All you have to do is overlook the visual deception and keep clicking and going through with the default install (but ONLY as long as you installed the launcher in the same drive that you want the game in)

Well... I also like to keep my C:/ drive only for windows and drivers. Today I started the Install for the first time. For the launcher I chose the D:/ drive. Later when I started to install the game I ran into this same problem. But my problem is a bit different because there isn't enough space for the file in my C:/ drive. Even though I know I could change the location later on I can't continue because the installer won't let me press the ''install'' button. I think they should fix this one :S #Noescapingforme

Next I'll try to move my graphic card drivers and all the else from C:/ -----> D://. Let's see if it will work. I need to gain 4GB for the C:/ drive.
Let's see what happens..

hypist

If anybody is having troubles with this, make sure you're installing the game in identical folders as it has listed in the C:/ drive.

For example,

in your D:/ drive, create a folder called "Battlestate Games" and a folder inside of "Battlestate Games" called "EFT (live)"

So, instead of:

C:/Battlestate Games/EFT (live) ,

we'll have:

D:/Battlestate Games/EFT (live);

I hope this works for you guys!

Lostvayne

I changed my drive letters because I sold one of my drives to a friend and that made the launcher bug out so there was an error when I tried to check for existing game files and I couldn't change the default drive path from the settings or the "Install" window at all for some reason. My solution was to plug in an external HDD (an HDD or SSD would work, maybe even a USB) that I have and change its drive letter to be the same as the old drive letter of my drive that I have Tarkov installed on and made an EFT folder named exactly whatever my previous install folder was named (mine was just named Escape from Tarkov) and this allowed me to finally be able to look for existing game files or change the game install path.

My personal example just in case my instructions above were trash:

I changed the drive letter of the drive I have EFT installed from the letter G to the Letter D as I had sold my D drive, this caused the EFT launcher to not want to look for existing game files or change install path at all. I plugged in my external hard drive, went to disk management and changed the drive letter to G (this was my old drive letter, this will/may be different for you) and created a new folder named the same thing as the folder that I already  had EFT installed in. I went back into the EFT launcher and I was now able to set a path to existing game files or change the install folder (if I did not already have it on another drive). Hope this helps someone out.

xZeroXD

What worked for me was that I deleted the folder the path originally showed to. In my situation it was C:/BattleStat Games/. I deleted that folder and could then select a different drive. I made an empty folder name "Tarkov" xd

SatansTesticles

easy fix for me ,  create a folder inside the drive you want, then select that folder as install destination. it just wont install when you're trying to select the root folder

dwelmnar

This is ridiculous. I have the DOWNLOADED launcher on my D:\ drive. When it installs, it installs WITHOUT PROMPT TO CHANGE to C:\. There is no way to install to D:\. 

I can then click "Install" in the launcher and it will allow me to install the game to my D:\ drive as long as it is not the root folder, but it requires space on my C:\ for temporary downloading of files? I don't have the space, nor the inclination to allow that. What the f kind of engineering is this?

Doubleohdan

hello all so i came to the form to discuss the same issue i ran into with installing Trakov into a different path other then c:/

so i realised after trying a few things to get this to install to my ssd i finally figured out that at first the launcher when installing the game wonmt let you change the dir path, click the install anyways and the launcher will load next window and thats where then you can change it, once complete the launcher will install normally and stard downloading and installing to your desired path like D:? and a ssd whic everyone seems to be having the issue..........  

hope this helps 

TheWarLord_2017

Ok so here is what I did. I moved the BattleState Games folder that is initially installed on the (C:) drive to my (D:) drive and deleted everything BattleState from my (C:) drive. I opened the game launcher from the (D:) drive and when it asked where I wanted to install the game I selected the BattleState Games folder in my (D:) drive and it installed. Someone posted about only installing in the BattleState Games folder so that’s what I tried and it worked.