Sign in to follow this  
PredatorMkII

Foliage Contact Sound Effects

PredatorMkII

Hello,

I've put around 100 hours in Tarkov now, and have noticed something: The sound effects triggered by physical contact with foliage are too harsh and binary. They lack nuance; when I am crouched and hiding in a bush, a minor rotation shouldn't trigger the same decibels as a PMC sprinting through a bush, and yet that's basically what happens. When I am located at the outermost fringes of a tree's branches, or a bush, and make a minor movement, the same thing happens. The sound effects that are triggered by minor interactions are disproportionate to the movement involved; it's unrealistic. Important refinements must be undertaken here, as stealth is an integral aspect of Tarkov's gameplay, and players who are trying to leverage this are being punished. A broader range of sound effects for foliage interaction would help, as well as connecting fade in/out audio gain effects to player animation speed to amplify or dampen the noise generated by interaction with foliage accordingly, to create much more organic and realistic gameplay. I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this, so I hope it's taken into account.

Thank you.

• Hot 2
  • Upvote 2

PredatorMkII

It's been over a month since I posted this, and I am bumping this post for further review since I still stand by what I wrote. The foliage collision detection/sound effect triggers are rather crude. You can barely skim the outermost fringes of a bush or tree and still trigger very harsh, full-blown sounds. There's also bugs, you can enter a bush and be completely still, but the sound effects trigger at continuous intervals, giving away your position.

Livercheese

i agree with what you said but i think the Dev's are aware of this.

hafizlah

Same I fully agree with this but atm I think there are other bigger issues, let's give them more time. :D

deathopz

I find it a double edge sword it can give your position away, but can give others position away.  The sound itself is loud but also glass shattering in customs dorm can be heard map wide lol.

Sir_Mossy

I feel as if they could tie the movement speed of your character (the speed bar in the bottom right) to the volume level of the audio for a start. Of course if you whip around and do a 180 it's gonna be loud, but this would be a fix solely for movement speed related volume. I have no idea how to go about rotational volume, but they could definitely go with that speed bar option.

dapps

This was broken around the time of the previous wipe/patch. It was perfectly fine the way it was but the run n gun streamers complained about campers so next thing we know the bushes make sounds heard on the other side of the map when you make the slightest shift.

buckmg1

The sound engine and sfx need alot more work, they should honestly be the top priority right now apart from fixing scavs and desync.