RRjr

Secure Containers Should Be Read-Only In-Raid

One of the main problems with Tarkov, right now, is the Secure Container.
More precisely, it's the fact that you can put items into the container during the raid that creates a bunch of problems, all of which culminate into what I'd call a "rush don't think" meta.

Enabled by the secure container it's effective and economical to simply hatch into a raid, sprint for the important POIs not caring about whatever happens on the map, try and grab the loot and then hope to get a lucky hit on a PMC or Scav. You risk nothing. If you die nothing happens. Just rinse and repeat. Losing is literally impossible, because whatever you manage to put into your secure container is safe the second you grab it. Making it out alive with whatever you manage to loot beyond what fits into your SC is gravy, but not required at all. Again, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Marked Room on Customs is one prime example for the type of gameplay that is created by how the secure container currently works.
Coming into a raid fully geared is very risky. And it should be. If you advance too fast you can easily run into an ambush and just die. So you have to take your time and be careful. You stand to lose hundreds of thousands of roubles worth of gear.
A hatchling on the other hand doesn't have to deal with any of the risk. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain. He spawns and just starts sprinting towards the marked room.
So chances are he'll make it there before you. Hence, when you finally get there the loot is taken and your journey was for nothing even though you risk everything while the Hatchling risks nothing. Even if you kill him on the spot he still wins. He has the loot without risk, you get nothing except all of the risk.
Hence, often times it's simply more economical for geared players to just go for Scav and PMC kills, because there's no way they'll make it to any of the POIs on a map unless they sprint recklessly and risk catching a bullet to the back of the head by anyone advancing with caution.

The gist of it is this: Hatchlings remove a whole lot of interesting gameplay from Tarkov. And they are enabled by the secure containers ability to store what you pick up in-raid.

So how do we fix these problems? How do we incentivize people to bring gear and fight for objectives and survival rather than come in naked and mindlessly rush for loot?

The solution is this:
1. Remove the ability to put any items into your secure container during the raid. You can only store items from your stash into the SC. No exceptions.
2. Whatever you do have in your container when you enter the raid can be used freely. No change here. You can use medkits inside the container, etc. However, once you move items out of the container you can't put them back. It's a "read-only" container. Your items are safe, as long as you leave them inside the SC. Outside of the raid nothing changes.

Why will this improve the game?

Just think of the consequences of this small albeit effective change:
1. Since you can't take valuable loot by simply rushing for it, hatching means you will probably be gunned down and whatever you looted will be taken by whomever shot you down. This is a direct incentive to gear up for a raid. Hatchet runs will mostly be a thing of the past, which is good because they directly contradict the entire premise of a game that aims to create a "realistic" experience. In real life, people aren't sprinting around the battlefield with hatchets.
2. Taking and holding positions will become important. Simply rushing a POI even if geared will be very risky since you may end up getting sieged by whomever arrives after you. However, it will also be very rewarding if you do make it out alive. This is the kind of gameplay I think we all want to see more of in Tarkov. The "hatchling mentality" takes that away... and it is enabled solely by how the secure container works.

So... TL;DR... we can make Tarkov a whole lot better with a very simple change: Remove the ability to put items into the secure container while you are in the raid.
And since you can still use items you put into your SC before the raid it doesn't become useless at all. Your keys are still safe and you can still bring some other helpful stuff. But those flashy goldchains you looted? Yeah... you'll have to fight and make it out of the raid alive if you want to keep them. So you better gear up.

Edited by RRjr
  • Sad 7
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RRjr said:

More precisely, it's the fact that you can put items into the container during the raid that creates a bunch of problems, all of which culminate into what I'd call a "rush don't think" meta.

Enabled by the secure container it's effective and economical to simply hatch into a raid, sprint for the important POIs not caring about whatever happens on the map, try and grab the loot and then hope to get a lucky hit on a PMC or Scav. You risk nothing. If you die nothing happens. Just rinse and repeat. Losing is literally impossible, because whatever you manage to put into your secure container is safe the second you grab it. Making it out alive with whatever you manage to loot beyond what fits into your SC is gravy, but not required at all. Again, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Marked Room on Customs is one prime example for the type of gameplay that is created by how the secure container currently works.
Coming into a raid fully geared is very risky. And it should be. If you advance too fast you can easily run into an ambush and just die. So you have to take your time and be careful. You stand to lose hundreds of thousands of roubles worth of gear.
A hatchling on the other hand doesn't have to deal with any of the risk. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain. He spawns and just starts sprinting towards the marked room.
So chances are he'll make it there before you. Hence, when you finally get there the loot is taken and your journey was for nothing even though you risk everything while the Hatchling risks nothing. Even if you kill him on the spot he still wins. He has the loot without risk, you get nothing except all of the risk.
Hence, often times it's simply more economical for geared players to just go for Scav and PMC kills, because there's no way they'll make it to any of the POIs on a map unless they sprint recklessly and risk catching a bullet to the back of the head by anyone advancing with caution.

The gist of it is this: Hatchlings remove a whole lot of interesting gameplay from Tarkov. And they are enabled by the secure containers ability to store what you pick up in-raid.

So how do we fix these problems? How do we incentivize people to bring gear and fight for objectives and survival rather than come in naked and mindlessly rush for loot?

The solution is this:
1. Remove the ability to put any items into your secure container during the raid. You can only store items from your stash into the SC. No exceptions.
2. Whatever you do have in your container when you enter the raid can be used freely. No change here. You can use medkits inside the container, etc. However, once you move items out of the container you can't put them back. It's a "read-only" container. Your items are safe, as long as you leave them inside the SC. Outside of the raid nothing changes.

1. Since you can't take valuable loot by simply rushing for it, hatching means you will probably be gunned down and whatever you looted will be taken by whomever shot you down. This is a direct incentive to gear up for a raid. Hatchet runs will mostly be a thing of the past, which is good because they directly contradict the entire premise of a game that aims to create a "realistic" experience. In real life, people aren't sprinting around the battlefield with hatchets.
2. Taking and holding positions will become important. Simply rushing a POI even if geared will be very risky since you may end up getting sieged by whomever arrives after you. However, it will also be very rewarding if you do make it out alive. This is the kind of gameplay I think we all want to see more of in Tarkov. The "hatchling mentality" takes that away... and it is enabled solely by how the secure container works.

So... TL;DR... we can make Tarkov a whole lot better with a very simple change: Remove the ability to put items into the secure container while you are in the raid.
And since you can still use items you put into your SC before the raid it doesn't become useless at all. Your keys are still safe and you can still bring some other helpful stuff. But those flashy goldchains you looted? Yeah... you'll have to fight and make it out of the raid alive if you want to keep them. So you better gear up.

if you implement this, ill simply load my gamma up with medical and keys, hatchet to the most lootworthy locations, then get a run through and extract. and there is nothing youll be able to do stop me. i only survive 10% of my raids anyways, so far thats about 40 out of 400 or so. 
and im level 3 in most traders, however, im also suffering from gear fear because no matter how carefully i play, theres always the other players that will somehow not make a sound and shoot me in the back of the head right after i check behind me, or from a kilo away wit ha sniper rifle, feel free to do that read only idea, but i will make a point ot hatchet run even faster and not worry at ALL with getting run throughs, im already dying my way down the level system one gamma full at a time, with your idea ill bring a scav bp or even just a sling in (cant buy mbss's for roubles still) and then loot that way, ill likely never get to a point where i want to run geared, because out of the 20 or so geared runs ive attempted, ive made it out alive only because i didnt meet any combat. and ill avoid combat whenever possible because i know that being optimistic about surviving in this game is absolutely out of any form of reality.

the only time i run geared is if i for some reason cant sell it or i need to open up space and im fine with losing it because i cant fit anything else in the stash. the only reason i was sold on this game is because my friends told me it was a looting game, and im a treasure hunter, thats all that appeals to me. take away my ability to save atleast an aks74 or a few pistols or something and ill just hatchet run even harder.

Just now, Motzy said:

if you implement this, ill simply load my gamma up with medical and keys, hatchet to the most lootworthy locations, then get a run through and extract. and there is nothing youll be able to do stop me. i only survive 10% of my raids anyways, so far thats about 40 out of 400 or so. 
and im level 3 in most traders, however, im also suffering from gear fear because no matter how carefully i play, theres always the other players that will somehow not make a sound and shoot me in the back of the head right after i check behind me, or from a kilo away wit ha sniper rifle, feel free to do that read only idea, but i will make a point ot hatchet run even faster and not worry at ALL with getting run throughs, im already dying my way down the level system one gamma full at a time, with your idea ill bring a scav bp or even just a sling in (cant buy mbss's for roubles still) and then loot that way, ill likely never get to a point where i want to run geared, because out of the 20 or so geared runs ive attempted, ive made it out alive only because i didnt meet any combat. and ill avoid combat whenever possible because i know that being optimistic about surviving in this game is absolutely out of any form of reality.

the only time i run geared is if i for some reason cant sell it or i need to open up space and im fine with losing it because i cant fit anything else in the stash. the only reason i was sold on this game is because my friends told me it was a looting game, and im a treasure hunter, thats all that appeals to me. take away my ability to save atleast an aks74 or a few pistols or something and ill just hatchet run even harder.

also every confrontations with anyone with gear results in me dying, even though i SEE my shots hitting them 90% of the time. id ask for a refund for the game but im doubtful they have a refund policy as this games design is horrible for people like me and im sure thats most people. based on every conversation with people i know, everyone basically hates the game because its just plain bullshit. i just want to have fun, this game has most definitely been 150$ of not fun. 

All I see is a bunch of whiners about a game mechanic. How about quit whining how others play. All I see is.people complaining that others dont sy how they do. I run top gear and I gotta be careful when these hatchets just run around with a care. It's a choice, and it's there to support multiple gameplay choices. I usually run gear but sometimes I run a pistol drop a scav gamma the pistol the rest that I get is a plus. Thays my play style and I gamma anything and everything. Play your way and qu complaining about how others play.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Motzy said:

if you implement this, ill simply load my gamma up with medical and keys, hatchet to the most lootworthy locations, then get a run through and extract.

And that's perfectly fine. However, if I manage to stop you (f.e. by covering possible escape routes), you'll lose whatever you picked up.

So contrary to now, where you get to do your run without any risk whatsoever, there will be a risk of you losing what you looted to a player taking the risk of coming in geared.

Why would this improve the game? Simply put, it prevents you from removing valuable loot from the map without risking anything.

Tarkov is a game that thrives on risk vs reward. If you remove the risk you also remove a lot of very interesting gameplay.

In my opinion, no matter what you do in a raid, there should be risk involved. Otherwise you get what we have now: Raids filled with Hatchlings zerging the POIs.

Edited by RRjr
  • Upvote 1

if you dont like how secure containers work, sell yours! no one is stopping you from that!

youdont like hatchling sprints well boohoo, do several yourself until you get the gear you want and stop doing it

I myself havent found a single thing in the marked room since the last wipe and icouldnt care less.. i get my gear off of the people i kill or other locations

If you want loot, there's interchange... There's no way hatchlings could loot everything in there... even if there were 50 of em

One thing though... If we do remove the alpha/gamma/epsilon how would those low level manage to get good gear without getting frustrated? I remember when I first joined I died heaps without so much as as red dot. I got better, learned what to keep in the secure container and what to have out.

And now I do mostly geared runs, baiting hatchet runners and killing them. F hatchet runners. I love getting their hopes up only to shoot them from behind!

Edited by gamerooner

35 minutes ago, RRjr said:

And that's perfectly fine. However, if I manage to stop you (f.e. by covering possible escape routes), you'll lose whatever you picked up.

So contrary to now, where you get to do your run without any risk whatsoever, there will be a risk of you losing what you looted to a player taking the risk of coming in geared.

Why would this improve the game? Simply put, it prevents you from removing valuable loot from the map without risking anything.

Tarkov is a game that thrives on risk vs reward. If you remove the risk you also remove a lot of very interesting gameplay.

In my opinion, no matter what you do in a raid, there should be risk involved. Otherwise you get what we have now: Raids filled with Hatchlings zerging the POIs.

How much can a hatchling take away anyway?? 3x3 is not a lot, well yea you find bitcoins/rollers now and then. the real money is killing other players (full geared preferable), so i dont see your problem.

look hatchlings will always be a thing, if you take away the hatchet they will find something else people get bothered over.

On 6/14/2018 at 5:55 PM, njdaemon said:

if you dont like how secure containers work, sell yours! no one is stopping you from that!

youdont like hatchling sprints well boohoo, do several yourself until you get the gear you want and stop doing it

I myself havent found a single thing in the marked room since the last wipe and icouldnt care less.. i get my gear off of the people i kill or other locations

You don't get keybars or docs cases that way. Rolers, Chains, all kinds of stuff leaving the raid the second someone puts it in the secure container so you don't get to fight for it nor are you going to loot it from people you kill. They are some of the highest per slot value items in the game. For some of them hatchet running has become the only feasible way of obtaining them.

Listen I'm not the salty boohoo person you make me out to be.

Tarkov is a game that puts emphasis on a realistic feel and labels itself a hardcore shooter.

Now you tell me what's realistic or hardcore about hatchet running.

You think it needs to be a thing simply because that's what you're used to so this is what it has to be. Status quo must not be changed.

If this is the way we're to approach this thing, then Tarkov will release to be a niche game with a small core audience that will eventually move on, game over.

In a game that has "realism" plastered all over it and makes it it's main selling point, zergrushing hatchlings simply shouldn't exist. My opinion. Entitled to it. This forum is for expressing it. Your problem if you don't like it.

All I'm saying is it's pretty stupid for some of the most valuable items in the game to be magically teleported out of the raid via secure container the second someone lays hands on them. It destroys the risk vs reward formula. Those items should be trophies that are hard to obtain. You should have to fight and survive the raid to lay claim on them. Not simply be the first to sprint to them without risking anything in the process.

You disagree and that's fine. But keep this "boohoo" jack to yourself. This is a forum for suggestions. I made one. Deal with it.

Edited by RRjr

Phee easy way to prevent put items to pockers or in inventory first block picking up to secure container give tiler like this one on reloading mags on item which one is putted inside secure container it could solve ur problems.

So u pickup keybar u put in gamma wait 10-15 seconds randomly an item is is secure container if soneone kills you while putting inside [maybe he coul take items fromcontainer with same delay] an item which one is putted inside will stays in guys inventory

So if u are not secure enough because ppl could take ur items while u putting items inside

Edited by thesxw

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, gamerooner said:

If you want loot, there's interchange... There's no way hatchlings could loot everything in there... even if there were 50 of em

One thing though... If we do remove the alpha/gamma/epsilon how would those low level manage to get good gear without getting frustrated? I remember when I first joined I died heaps without so much as as red dot. I got better, learned what to keep in the secure container and what to have out. 

And now I do mostly geared runs, baiting hatchet runners and killing them. F hatchet runners. I love getting their hopes up only to shoot them from behind!

That's a good question. What does a (new) player do when he hits rock bottom and can't afford any more equipment for raiding?

My answer would be twofold:

1. With this change hatchet running doesn't become impossible per se. You can still equip, say,  a sling (which only costs 2k) and do a run that way.
    It will only be more "risky" in the sense that you don't get to keep what you loot when you die. So you're going to want to go for some of the less frequented loot boxes on a map instead or go in with a pistol and try killing and looting a Scav.
    The point of the change isn't to make doing hatchet runs impossible. It would simply take a little more planning and caution. Zergrushing marked room may no longer be a thing, but with a good exit strategy and a TT you can still make more than you need for some good equipment on your next raid. The big difference here is that contrary to what's going on currently you're actually participating in the raid rather than mindlessly sprinting for loot.
  2. If it does prove to be a real problem, for newer players in particular, we could contemplate further lowering the timer on Scav runs. This would take some testing, of course, since we'd have to figure out how that affects the economy and general progression gear wise and maybe do some adjustments there. It could be very interesting, though, since we'd encounter more player Scavs which further increases the difficulty for PMCs.

Again, point of the change isn't to make hatchet running impossible. I guess what I'm arguing for is that really all of the gameplay revolving around how the secure container works right now upsets the risk vs reward balance that is really one core aspect of the game as a whole. And that affects all players, really.

Edited by RRjr

i love that the first reply was well if this happens i'mma gonna hacthling even harder and there is nothing you can do about it (aside from killing me on the way to extract) 

dude you made his point for him your free to do whatever you like in tarkov as long as it has a level of risk tied to the rewards you are trying to obtain. By getting to the items then shoving them into the neather reigon of the SC the hatcling could just be replaced with a funtion that despawns 70% of the 1x1 loot thats worth anything after 4 mins of gameplay 

Sorry but this idea would kill the game. You need to be able to put stuff in the container in raid. If not quests would take ages and that can already take a long time. They would end up stupidly frustrating Not fun and kill the game. You say that tarkov is risk vs reward but on hatching runs there is no risk but minimum reward. No back pack and no vest means that you only get your container and 4 single pocket slots any gun or gear you find is still at risk. just a handful of items are safe. If you want a big reward quest you need to go in geared. Its well balanced. And nessersey for quests and to help new players and people who are struggling. It tolk me weeks to find the marked key and I died to raid that I did. If it was not possible to put it in my container I probably would not being playing now, would have got to pissed off and given up 

Plus it could make hatch runs more common as you could not pull out money when you die,  so solo players could easily end up with no cash or gear 

Edited by King_Tubbs

People paid damn near 100$ for their containers the devs will never take them away and will most likely never change them.

2 hours ago, King_Tubbs said:

You need to be able to put stuff in the container in raid. If not quests would take ages and that can already take a long time. They would end up stupidly frustrating Not fun and kill the game.

You're right.

But that can be worked around by either having an exception to the "read-only" rule for items that you currently have quest requirements for, or re-working the existing quest inventory to where you can actually use it for that purpose. Adjusting the quests themselves would be another option. There's many ways to deal with this problem other than secure containers. Ways that don't produce raids filled with hatchlings.

You forget that the game isn't finished, yet. Features are still to come, things can change. Nothing should be set in stone simply because it's what we've gotten used to. That kind of mentality would kill the game.

You say that tarkov is risk vs reward but on hatching runs there is no risk but minimum reward.

I disagree, mate. Rolers, Goldchains, Bitcoins, etc are pretty much the highest per slot value items in the game. They take one slot. If you consider keybars and docs cases too it becomes even worse. And I'm sure I forgot some other items. So the no risk but minimum reward argument doesn't hold IMO.

It tolk me weeks to find the marked key and I died to raid that I did. If it was not possible to put it in my container I probably would not being playing now, would have got to pissed off and given up 

I get your drift but that still doesn't, at least IMO, make a good point for having the most valuable items just vanish off of the map the instant someone touches them. Particularly when that someone didn't risk anything to do it.

If things like Marked Room Key become problematic that can be worked around in many ways. The Flea Market that they haven't yet implemented but apparently will would be one such avenue. Adjusting spawn rates would be another one.

Edited by RRjr

This would probably kill the Tarkov Reddit trading community completely or partially as they'd have to run towards exit and trade there; or trade and risk losing it anyways on the way to extraction.

On 6/13/2018 at 3:31 PM, RRjr said:

The solution is this:

Ohh i can smell someone who is either butthurt or doesnt have Gamma.

I can tell you one thing for certain, it is not gonna happen. You know why? Because literally everyone who bought EoD apart from few diehard fans did so because Gamma Container. And guess what would happen if devs even remotely thought about doing change proposed by you? Absolute sh*tstorm leading to half of player base leaving. Yeah great idea. Just get over with it. Not to mention that with full gear on Customs you arent supposed to go and loot Marked Room, you are supposed to kill and loot other geared players that are stupid enough to bring gear on Customs which is terrible map right now and will stay so until devs lower player count to like 1/2 of what is it right now, add third spawn point, extend map by atleast 100% in size or everything at the same time.

This idea is quite good and it help for stopping the hatchling players but I think players should be able to put the dogtags into the container during a raid, or maybe other extremely high value items such as keybar and doc case.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:57 PM, RRjr said:

You don't get keybars or docs cases that way. Rolers, Chains, all kinds of stuff leaving the raid the second someone puts it in the secure container so you don't get to fight for it nor are you going to loot it from people you kill. They are some of the highest per slot value items in the game. For some of them hatchet running has become the only feasible way of obtaining them.

Listen I'm not the salty boohoo person you make me out to be.

Tarkov is a game that puts emphasis on a realistic feel and labels itself a hardcore shooter.

Now you tell me what's realistic or hardcore about hatchet running.

You think it needs to be a thing simply because that's what you're used to so this is what it has to be. Status quo must not be changed.

If this is the way we're to approach this thing, then Tarkov will release to be a niche game with a small core audience that will eventually move on, game over.

In a game that has "realism" plastered all over it and makes it it's main selling point, zergrushing hatchlings simply shouldn't exist. My opinion. Entitled to it. This forum is for expressing it. Your problem if you don't like it.

All I'm saying is it's pretty stupid for some of the most valuable items in the game to be magically teleported out of the raid via secure container the second someone lays hands on them. It destroys the risk vs reward formula. Those items should be trophies that are hard to obtain. You should have to fight and survive the raid to lay claim on them. Not simply be the first to sprint to them without risking anything in the process.

You disagree and that's fine. But keep this "boohoo" jack to yourself. This is a forum for suggestions. I made one. Deal with it.

I do agree with you on most of your points. Hatchet runs do ruin the experience, they could have been a geared person that you could have killed and looted. However, new players have it really rough, a lot of them getting domed by fast/fort guys on their first day of playing. Tarkov needs to be more forgiving to these players, or they would leave because the game would appear too unforgiving. I'm not saying I love hatchlings, but I do think that we should try to be understanding. Note: I did make a post about hatchling forgiveness a few months ago, you can check it from my profile. However, I no longer stand with my points stated there, I have come to realize that a good majority of hatchlings are people with no skin in the game.

Edited by Patorium