Sign in to follow this  
the_RedDuke

Hey all :)

Sorry if there's a Introductions thread, couldn't find it in the 22 seconds i spent using search.

Finally bought the standard edition of the game ( maybe upgrade later ) mostly due to:

- survival themed - really enjoy the extractions confined maps and totally looking forward to future open big map.

- credible realistic combat ( physics, sounds, movement, ... )

- steep curve of learning/progression

- possibility of group and solo

- some really relaxed streamers showcasing the game in great calm fashion and positiveness

Good game. GG!

Welcome!

I’ve only really been playing for a week, I’ve had the game a month but didn’t really play it. I too started with the Standard Edition. I’ve recently upgraded to the EOD Version, partially because of the mistakes I made early on. So, the beginner mistakes I made early on;

1. My original laptop, though originally a screaming fast gaming laptop in 2013: did not run EFT that well. I already had plans to replace it, I should have waited to really play this game until I got my new laptop. You mileage may very; if you are stuck with the rig you have tweak everything until the game runs as best it can. Maybe wait for the pending .9 version and the promised better optimization.

2. I looked at a bunch of sh*t Makorovs I started with and promptly sold them thinking there is no way I am going to use them. That was a mistake.

3. Do a lot of offline PVE and practice with both a full on loadout, but also with a minimalist loadout. By minimalist I mean try just a pistol (like a Makorov) a few mags, some loose ammo, a scav vest, and some meds in your alpha container (always have a water bottle). Maybe add a backpack.

4. Customize your key bindings.

5. Your goal practicing offline PVE is to get to the point where you can reliably and efficiently kill a scav or two, loot, work your meds, your reloads, etc. Then outfitted with more powerful scav guns and equipment, rinse and repeat, and escape. And you do not have to worry about losing anything.

6. Concentrate both offline and when you go live on a couple of maps (I did Interchange and Customs) and have the map on either a second monitor or another device (like an iPad) and learn to navigate the map, figure out where you are, where the exits are and where the loot is.

That is my $.02

Edited by Perennial

@Hethwill

Hello sir,

welcome to Tarkov! ;)

Please feel free to ask questions on the Forums and check the topics that are already there, for sure you can find useful information there.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Welcome to Tarkov! 

Remember that right now the game is still unfinished, so there are bound to be issues, but it is still pretty fun to play.

We also just recently made a 'LFG' section so if you ever want to team up, post there. :)

• Like 1

P.S. I have not seen this posted elsewhere but one good thing to start doing is to goto all the traders and 'examine' (left click) all their unknown items. It will make you more efficient looting as you will already know a lot of the items. Plus you can almost get to Lvl 2 just examining trade goods. And their goods change (especially Fence's) so go back periodically.

Thanks to all :) 

Appreciated for all the advice and warm welcome.

Some of the newcomer exercises you fellows tip off i did pick up naturally, like offline recon of the areas, mainly Customs given the first task from a trader is the shotguns from there and the Examine the stuff.

Will definitely go through the milsim listed groups or maybe join the unofficial discord and see where it leads. Social being the biggest chunk of a multiplayer game, I guess.

Snappy salute ~S~

Sorry off topic but I don't know where to find the new post or how to post a new thread so I just wanted to ask, is it still elidgeable to obtain a free copy of Tarkov just by signing up? Like making an account? Are they still giving away copies?

If I could give a bit of advice, try joining a clan and have a headset for communication as solo eft is far different from group play. Most clans atleast right now want members that play eft and since wipe is soon they'll probably just give you free gear(unless you are like me and like the challenge of earning your things) anywho check the clans section of the forum alot of good ones to choose from.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:09 PM, deathopz said:

If I could give a bit of advice, try joining a clan and have a headset for communication as solo eft is far different from group play. Most clans atleast right now want members that play eft and since wipe is soon they'll probably just give you free gear(unless you are like me and like the challenge of earning your things) anywho check the clans section of the forum alot of good ones to choose from.

Yeah, good point. 

In truth comms is a must :) i'm no stranger to it. Having a look around on the groups board. Something cozy and not overly populated.

Regarding the handouts, i'm not particularly an adept of it myself. Rather climb the curve by scavenging what I can.

Thanks m8 ~S~

On 7/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, Glaiydan said:

Sorry off topic but I don't know where to find the new post or how to post a new thread so I just wanted to ask, is it still elidgeable to obtain a free copy of Tarkov just by signing up? Like making an account? Are they still giving away copies?

They were not giving away copies of the game. You could sign up and get access to the stress testing stage, but this was only for a short time and i am unsure if the people who got in even still have access. If they do, they certainly won't when the game releases unless they purchase the game.

17 minutes ago, BrettB said:

Interesting, but what is wipe?

A wipe happens when they need to release new bugs into the game, so they reset everyone's accounts back to level one

Well, so far so good. I guess being a newcomer has its perks and not noticing all the crazy stunts people write about.

Did play a bit, maybe less than I wanted but still had some good introductory raids, both solo and in company.

I must say that going out in a team can be more detrimental to the "tarkov experience" than beneficial in the sense that, and especially in a group of veterans and newcomers, the vets want to do the runs without exploration while the new arrivals are still in awe with all the details and just want to explore... or maybe it is just me, but I really like the roving about, spending time checking the dark corners, and enjoying the overall ambience, locations, etc.

In the gunplay milsim level I am very very pleased. I really like how the distance to obstacles plays in - can't scrape walls with the barrel so if I want to kiss the wall to make a smaller target I pay off with having the gun lowered, all good. I miss the roll when prone, arma like, unless I missed something. Had a firefight where I got pinned behind a jeep and went prone for vantage point but didn't find a way to roll over and didn't have a backpack. But no biggie, the rest feels great.

It is great to be a newb and discover all the stuff :) 

Did reset my profile twice, because events unfolded and felt like restarting again with the basic gear. So there's that also, so whatever experience I get of how to move around the game will come into play more than the character level or gear, I hope.

Snappy salute!

Edited by the_RedDuke