Sign in to follow this  
Hackk

Graphic issue- too dark, but not the normal complaint

Hackk

This is kinda hard to explain, so keep with me. So my screen gets too dark as I look towards the ground, or a wall etc. I understand shading and shadows, but this isnt normal. For example, I can be standing next to a wall looking away from it, but if I turn my mouse towards the wall, the darkness of my screen increases to almost black. The movement of my mouse a couple pixels to the left or right can mean complete visibility, or complete darkness. Like, cant see the gun in front of my face type of black. When searching lockers etc, I will see the item, but as I walk up to it, it gets so dark, I can only pick it up once I hopefully put my mouse over it and see  the "take" icon, without the icon I'd have no idea what I was looking at. Obviously if I turn a flashlight on, the problem goes away, so it has something to do with processing shadows. Any idea how to fix this?

Running a very good gaming rig, so I'm not underpowered. Thanks

VoronMG

Could it be that your monitor has some type of auto adjust feature turned on ?

Hackk

My monitor does not have that, and it doesnt happen on any other games. So I dont think that's it

Drombal

@Hackk Hello Hackk. If you have a NVidia Card it may helps if you change the colur output range in your NVidia settings. Sorry for the screenshot in german, but you should find it in your settings else. Its where you can change the resolution of your display, settings should look like down below. Setting should be called something like "Dynamic output range", change this from "Full" to "Limited". This results in less deep black.

coloroutput.thumb.png.0d40346c00b0569c2bdc3aa83ae1f7af.png

Himmuguegeli

@Hackk

Unless you are not running the game on a potato with a gameboy color screen in place you should either have an AMD or Nvidia graphics card. And those have drivers to allow to crank up the gamma as much as you need and tweak the overall looks. As for now it sounds like that your settings have been fucked up. You can tweak that in the drivers settings too. You could also try to fix that with the monitor menu if it supports that. Contrast set way to high can cause what you are describing there, that is able to cut away details and generally turn anything into an either white or black mess.

OviDiuS

I have just installed a new GPU that is Nvidia related. And shanged from a Radeon. I had same problem with game being extremly dark or extremly bright. I did search around on the web for a fix and found this tread helped instantly. And changing From "Full" to "Limited" worked superb. Now i can save in some money from buying a new screen. I was thinking my screen had gona bad so. Lucky me :3

BelchMeister

Thanks for that solution Drombal! I had the "dark areas too dark" problem across all my games, but this seems to have fixed it.  

Not sure what casued the problem to start with, maybe an nVidia update at some stage.