Time_X

A Dream for the future of Woods

Time_X

Why are the Tarkov outdoors so boring? You que up onto woods ready to scramble through underbrush in a densely wooded area, trees and brush so thick you can't move quickly without becoming entangled in thorns, scavs and other PMCs could be hiding anywhere waiting for you to blunder through the bushes into their trap. Of course, instead you spawn on a map with a few lightly wooded patches and several places where you can almost guarantee that you will find other players based on the cluster of spawns everybody knows as well as where the loot and the scavs will be. I have several suggestions that amount to a rework of the woods map that I hope the community will add to and that the devs will take into consideration.

Number one is definitely just some dramatic changes in the landscape. The whole map, despite being called woods, is ironically very lightly wooded. It's easy to go through the entire map without barely going into the woods with the use of the lumber roads and clearings. Even when going through the woods it's widely scattered trees that offer little cover. This sums up my first idea which is the introduction of a bramble, shrubs, and thorns that slows your pace and makes noise. This would provide cover that isn't rocks. I have never been to Russia, and have no clue if shrubbery is common, but this additional soft cover could be awesome. Deeper gullies and stream beds would offer better cover as opposed to the occasional rise and dips in the terrain you see now. Additionally, fallen trees, a frequent sight in any forest, should block your movement and provide limited cover. A fantastic landscape with stream beds, ditches, stumps, fallen trees, and brambles only adds to immersion.

My second focus is the current layout that makes PVP interesting. As it currently stands, the survivors of the spawn areas make there way towards the other side of the map and towards the central scav and loot spawn known as Lumber Mill. There are multiple ways to get around two sectors of map surrounding this location, but the Lumber Mill itself is a central plain looked upon by a large rock. Aside from the cabin spawn, this location that all surviving players must travel through is undoubtedly the most dangerous place on the map. The sniper rock overlooking Lumber Mill is easily climbed with the map border behind it. Not only does this make it a great location to snipe from, but there is rarely resistance from behind. I suggest a map addition that adds a third side to this map and is conveniently located behind this tall rock overlooking Lumber Mill. Combined with further logging equipment, this location could include a stream and crawl-throughable drain pipes. A further addition to the map would reduce cramped spawns and open up areas for further looting.

My third idea is a scav boss for woods. I understand there will be many of these to come, but positioning a scav boss either in the lumberyard or along one of the lumber roads would encourage players to head towards these locations, and most importantly camp them, which sounds bad in some light but I think further encouraging slow gameplay is something that would be great in Tarkov.  Without proper AI, the boss would be immensely powerful as all scavs on woods are, able to shoot through the soft cover that completely blinds you, but the future addition of improved AI with more unique scavs and perhaps scav boss movement from one side of the mill to another would only improve the map.

I would be very surprised if our current maps don't get reworks before release with the current quality of spawns and layout, there are so many ways they could make the maps go from okay to amazing. I hope that together we can achieve this goal.

P.S. the Woodsman and his posse of angry lumberjacks would be great.

P.P.S Thanks so much Emmettdogg (Okay honestly how do I change my username) for helping me edit and make this post and for all the fantastic input!

minigunofquake

the map is optimized that way to not take down your frame rate

27 minutes ago, Time_X said:

A fantastic landscape with stream beds, ditches, stumps, fallen trees, and brambles only adds to immersion

any example of other online military shooter with something similar ?

SWBF not counts, because its fictional universe

Time_X
15 minutes ago, minigunofdoom said:

the map is optimized that way to not take down your frame rate

SWBF not counts, because its fictional universe

I don't know a whole bunch of military shooters of the top of my head. I understand frame rate concerns, but actually Endor is a perfect example of an awesome woodland environment. I haven't involved myself in Battle Front games but Endor was filmed in California. west coast forests is actually what I was thinking about imagining this. I'll see if I can find a shooter where that sort of environment is used in if I can, but I don't know if I'll find any of them because you're right that could be an optimization nightmare. I generally want this thread to be a place to think of practical ways to improve the woods experience and other maps. Getting really elaborate was part of my point, get people thinking of the possibilities.

Edited by Time_X
Grammar
  • Like 1

TechoverMana
1 hour ago, minigunofdoom said:

ARMA's Tanoa map, which has thicker brush and looks more like a proper jungle/wooded area and such, and is probably about 20x the size of the woods map. Certain parts of Chernarus were like that as well.

• Like 2

TechoverMana
2 hours ago, minigunofdoom said:

SWBF not counts

Also, I don't know why you'd say it doesn't count since it's more of a technical thing to generate a big forest like that. Being fictional doesn't matter, there are games that can generate maps with that sort of detail and scale and it just means the tech is there to do it.

Snork_Svk
13 hours ago, Time_X said:

Woods is not bad about showing the outside environment in this global position: Siberia region during summer.
In reality i note it last time i was in forest (coniferous trees) is more bushes on sides and you can not cross them easily so you must more planing your way across. Older forest is always so sparse and young one is mostly dense enough to even sometime is hard crossing through. Few more fallen trees wil be nice as cover.

What bothering me is how trees moves in wind, its little bit extreme.

Opening map up to third spawn position this way, and add new small objects will be great, but i also like this chocke point you need sometimes force your way through, from this position is Woods more interesting for me than Shoreline where you mostly have problem find some encounter. But if you find you have more maneveur option to flank and surprise your enemy.

I looking forward in adition of Cultist whitch make surprising renascence if this map in night time. And add something mystics to it.

Spawns: Tarkov is really unique from gaming perspective of point- Without VOIP is anybody at first place your foe. And is hard to make spawn points equal from looting perspective ( to reach preferred locations ) and tactial advantage from point of advancing throug map. This will need comunity patience and lots of testing and balancing. Maybe open little map from ZB-14 side. But from my point of view is Woods one of my favorite map for PvP,  you can pleasantly snipe here, more then in every other map and i still find here interesting encounter more then in Shoreline or Interchange because this "middle" size of map.

Edited by Snork_Svk

minigunofquake
19 hours ago, TechoverMana said:

Being fictional doesn't matter

that is exactly why I said "military shooter", because the map has to be "tactical"

have you noticed how in EFT all trees and bushes are like clones ?

so in my opinion the phichological effect of that would be that you eyes will

get used to similarities and it will be much easy for you to spot "new" stuff

when it appears, now take that "forest" map from Star Wars: Battlefront,

its a map for running and shooting and having fun with dozens of players in

a small area, where you don't camp or snipe your just run around,

look at any game play of it on youtube no one is being tactical, because no

one cares because the game is not a "military shooter" that is why maps

weren't created to for that purpose

but that is all my opinion, I don't play EFT, because I don't have gaming PC

so what do I know,  but I do watch a lots of gameplays on youtube,

so sometimes I just "spot" things that others may not

Time_X

Um... battle front is a completely different game. Without stakes, on a small map, where everybody spawns next to each other and the only real objective is to run around shooting wildly. A more complex forest map doesn't make tarkov battle front. Indeed a lot of those suggestions are to expand the playfield and encourage slower, more thought, tactical gameplay. Nobody wants tarkov to be battle front (I hope) but battle front definitely is a good technical showcase of more complex forest maps.

1 hour ago, minigunofdoom said:

that is exactly why I said "military shooter", because the map has to be "tactical"

have you noticed how in EFT all trees and bushes are like clones ?

so in my opinion the phichological effect of that would be that you eyes will

get used to similarities and it will be much easy for you to spot "new" stuff

when it appears, now take that "forest" map from Star Wars: Battlefront,

its a map for running and shooting and having fun with dozens of players in

a small area, where you don't camp or snipe your just run around,

look at any game play of it on youtube no one is being tactical, because no

one cares because the game is not a "military shooter" that is why maps

weren't created to for that purpose

but that is all my opinion, I don't play EFT, because I don't have gaming PC

so what do I know,  but I do watch a lots of gameplays on youtube,

so sometimes I just "spot" things that others may not

Edited by Time_X