Sign in to follow this  
Bloodstone

What on earth happened!?

Bloodstone

Let me tell you a little story about my last game.

I am fairly new to this game, i only played in 0.9, and i only played for ~30 hours so far.

I just finished a game of Customs, it was getting dark outside, and i has scrounged through the remains in the dorms, avoiding combat at all costs, since i always seem to lose when engaging/engaged.

I found some dead Scav boss guards, killed 2 myself + the scav boss too. And i walked away with a fully functional Kiver M helmet + clean visor and 2 AK-74m's.

At this point i am REALLY scared of dying because i never found such good loot before, but i also feel safe behind this dope armor (especially since i facetanked 1 scav guard and came out on top).

I end up sneaking as slow as possibly from dorms, all the way to gas station, out of fear of dying to a lurker. My plan is to extract at the ZB1011 bunker, and i hope at this point that someone unlocked the factory door for me, since i don't have the key myself.

When i make it to the hill separating dorms and gas station i see someone down at the factory door (it is dark still).

When i go there, i don't sneak, i just walk normally (because i feel safe in the armor and with my loadout), i approach the door and doublecheck that the visor is down.

When i open the door, i see a backpack disheartening into the room to the left, my heart starts racing!

I take aim at the window to my left, knowing he will appear there in a second, I start to shoot, but only get to fired 1-2 full auto bullets before he ONE TAPS ME!?

HERE IS MY QUESTION!? How is that possible!? I thought the Kiver with visor on was viable? What weapon + ammo can one tap through a full durability kiver face shield?

I was so discouraged after this. I am thinking about quitting the game because of this, before i get desperate and buy the EOD version to get a bigger stash.

I want to love this game, and i like that the learning curve is to ruthless, but everyone has told me "once you get over the lower levels, it's gonna be awesome". Well i am lvl 16 now, and i just had a full loadout from 3 scav boss guards, and i got one-tapped in a situation where the person killing me, could not even see the unarmored parts of me because of a window wall.

Please forum! let me know how this was possible. I thought he might have hit a blacked arm or something, but the report after the fight said "face", and that really boggles me

Nessevi

Kiver M is not that great, almost every single rifle round has at least a chance to fly through it (both helmet and face shield). If he was using 7.62 PS (Which anyone can buy), he had a 76% chance to penetrate through the face shield with one round. If he had anything better (any kind of armor piercing 5.45 or 7.62) it is a one tap. Same with armor piercing 9x39, and many 556 and 762x54 rounds.

TL;DR Kiver will only save you from scav headshots and people using non-armor piercing SMG/Pistols and SOME rifle calibers (But most will go through)

Here's a nice little table of penetration values for all relevant armors and bullets. https://imgur.com/a/SUkfj

Edited by Nessevi

Rallige

Yeah, Kiver + visor don't stop quite a lot of rounds. Most of visor's utility comes from preventing nasty one-taps from scavs and bumrushing PMCs with makarovs.

And this situation will deteriorate throughout the wipe - as more people will unlock armor-piercing ammo in their traders, the less viable kiver+visor will be.

So don't be too discouraged - one day you will do the same thing to somebody else. That's how Tarkov works.

Drombal
Am 4.8.2018 um 18:52 schrieb Bloodstone:

i always seem to lose when engaging/engaged
[...]
At this point i am REALLY scared of dying because i never found such good loot before, but i also feel safe behind this dope armor (especially since i facetanked 1 scav guard and came out on top).

And never feel safe, you have seen what could happen. And there are still many other (frustrating) ways to die ;-), but you always get the possibility to learn from that. When the next wipe comes there will be many other players wich then are new in the game, and I`m really sure that the experiences you`ve made by dying around the maps will give you a recognizable advantage in this situations. And I think it will bring a smile in your face then :-). With 30 hours of playtime you`re still in the warmup phase against the players with xxxx hours of playtime. I know that there is no ultimate solution to engage and survive, but watching other players may help you to decide when and if you should engange. I recommend you to start some raids with one or two mates in a group, and espacially with voice communications.

theroyalfake

Pick your fights.

Best advice I've learned from the forums. If you had that much valuable loot, why risk it by engaging? Only engage when you have no other choice.
I share your pain though. Can't tell you how many times after we've killed the scav boss that this has happened to me. Just know if players hear a crap ton of fire over in dorms or gas station, best believe they are heading straight there to pick you off while you're looting too.