A warning to ASUS motherboard users

Elder-Drake

Elder-Drake

Warning to ASUS users.

So I just upgraded my BIOS and drivers and ASUS decided to install a nice little app of theirs called Sonic Radar. I will not link it, as I am not promoting it, and all I can find on it with regards to EFT is  this German thread:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/63637-sonic-radar/&prev=search

It is hard to understand the translated version of that but seems like this software is a little over the top and very much in the gray area. I am warning ASUS users of this as I just did a full BIOS and driver update on my Z270E ASUS motherboard and it attached this, without my consent, to the audio suite. I did not notice until I launched ARK to play with some friends and the overlay popped up. Freaking out, as I was playing on a Battleye official server, I immediately closed ARK down and nailed down what the hell the application was. I uninstalled it and put a Support ticket in here to BSG to let them know and to clarify the stance on it because with Reshade being allowed it makes me wonder what is ok and what is not. I am confident that developers would not punish players here for this but you never know and once you see that overlay it should be clear as to if it is ok or not, not speculation but a hard answer. If not then ASUS needs to be contacted and a stink raised as to not making it auto-install and load this without your knowledge as it could cause people to get in trouble with certain games. I say this because it seems to activate the overlay by default on some games, on others you have to actually enable the overlay but the application is running under a audio suite. This means you may not even realize you have it running and you are still flagged as running an app that violates the ToS.

Regardless I would not use this software as I see it as cheating personally but it is worth noting because ASUS is deploying it as part of the ROG experience for gamers. Please chime in if you have any insight on this and I hope a mod and/or staff member can comment so I know if I need to reach out to ASUS regarding it. I was just going to go with a Support ticket but I also wanted to warn my fellow escapers so nobody gets in trouble. To be clear it was running for an hour or so today when I played Tarkov but oddly it did not activate the overlay as the Sonic Radar settings (that I found later on after seeing it on ARK) activated it for ARK in a checkbox for it but not EFT, it saw EFT but did not engage the overlay. Maybe being paranoid here but better safe than sorry and better informed than ignorant.

Edit: I forgot to add that you can easily find the application in your apps folder, look for Sonic Radar. Uninstall it is my recommendation till we hear word as the more I research this app the more questions I see popping up with people. Disturbing that a major gaming company is stock installing this on higher end products without your knowledge or consent.

Edited by Elder-Drake

Never had it install for me but will keep my eyes up on next updates, pretty sure or at least ASUS has in the past warned about it being possible to be flagged by a anticheat.

I do think this software has a more legitimate reason then Reshade to exist though, letting people with hearing disabilities play rather then making a game look a little bit better. And I doubt it gives as much advantage as Reshades zoom and other features.

But make things easy Devs and just disallow all kinds of injection software..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Elder-Drake
11 minutes ago, GasT79 said:

Never had it install for me but will keep my eyes up on next updates, pretty sure or at least ASUS has in the past warned about it being possible to be flagged by a anticheat.

I do think this software has a more legitimate reason then Reshade to exist though, letting people with hearing disabilities play rather then making a game look a little bit better. And I doubt it gives as much advantage as Reshades zoom and other features.

But make things easy Devs and just disallow all kinds of injection software..

Agreed. I can see the positive usage of this for disabled gamers but we all know that people would abuse this as they do with Reshade. I am going to shoot an email off to ASUS and call tomorrow for all the good it will do, because they should not bundle this into their audio suite. Make it optional and warn people plain right there that use of the app may violate the ToS of any game you play and that it should be verified as allowed or not game by game. Installing it blindly as part of the audio system for your motherboard is garbage.

Edited by Elder-Drake
1 minute ago, Elder-Drake said:

Agreed. I can see the positive usage of this for disabled gamers but we all know that people would abuse this. I am going to shoot an email off to ASUS and call tomorrow for all the good it will do, because they should not bundle this into their audio suite. Make it optional and warn people plain right there that use of the app may violate the ToS of any game you play and that it should be verified as allowed or not game by game. Installing it blindly as part of the audio system for your motherboard is garbage.

It’s been a “feature” on their motherboards for at least a decade and I’m 100% sure that they have warned about it.

Forgot that I have used and use a audio card with a better headphone amplifier and the internal audio card disabled on my last 2 pc builds so that might be why I have not gotten it installed.

Elder-Drake
Just now, GasT79 said:

It’s been a “feature” on their motherboards for at least a decade and I’m 100% sure that they have warned about it.

Forgot that I have used and use a audio card with a better headphone amplifier and the internal audio card disabled on my last 2 pc builds so that might be why I have not gotten it installed.

I never was warned of it when I updated my drivers and bios, maybe on their forums or elsewhere but where it counts I saw nothing. Still does not address it being an issue that a major hardware distributor is deploying this at all, then add in the fact that I found out after I updated and ran a game.

10 minutes ago, Elder-Drake said:

I never was warned of it when I updated my drivers and bios, maybe on their forums or elsewhere but where it counts I saw nothing. Still does not address it being an issue that a major hardware distributor is deploying this at all, then add in the fact that I found out after I updated and ran a game.

Yeah that is really bad..

Elder-Drake
19 minutes ago, Xarc said:

Hardware industry does not know how to make the big sale, so they will add crosshair, gamemode, etc for monitors, sound detection/tracker, etc for motherboards and so on for other hardware. Many convenient things for the consumer ... they don't give a duck if you are banned/restricted by the game maker.

Indeed, it really is messed up as upon further research I see that people are reporting bans on other games and they claim the only software they were using was Sonic Radar. A person buying a high end ASUS product might just think "hey, they bundled it so it must be ok" and then surprise, a ban.

I will be calling their support and emailing them about this just to hear their reasoning for placing the trust of customers in them at risk to push sales by seeming to offer a built in edge. It is sad and screwed up but now that I know about it I plan on warning as many friends and fellow gamers I can of the issue. Maybe put an email out to some larger gaming sites and see if someone wants to pick the story up because wow, there are a lot of bad stories out there.

I am still interested to hear what BSG has to say. I hope they just say no to all overlays finally because in the end they do give an advatage over others. I could care less about making my game looking more "vibrant", it's Tarkov and to me it is supposed to look gritty and hard but tis my .02 on it. I'll not bump the post again unless directly asked a question or to reply to staff so happy hunting out there all.

Edit: Not trying to make it hard on BSG, I just do not want people to be banned for this garbage because of ASUS throwing a damn near cheat into their audio driver suite so best to hear it direct from them. Personally, it is gone from my pc and never coming back.

Edited by Elder-Drake
Andronome

I can relate with op, I have a B150 Pro Gaming Mobo and it did install itself by default. So the first time I launch BF4 at the time, I ended up with this ugly overlay. It tooks me several hours to find out it was a software installed with my mobo drivers.

So Asus does not let you know those softwares will overlay, or run in the background.

I now install each driver as there is a way to choose what do you want to install on the mobo launcher software.

Edited by Andronome
grammar
  • 3 weeks later...

So did you send a ticket and got a response on this app ? As I am a ROG fanboy I do have this installed, never used tho.. Just left it alone in the task bar, as I have build this pc up this week I'v not really checked out these apps and started to tweak settings. 

• 4 months later...
BanditMaka

You sure this is being installed by default? Not doubting just double checking.
I just (6 days ago) installed a new ASUS motherboard, with a new BIOS, and don't have this installed.
It did install RealTek HD Audio Manager.

Sonic Radar, seems unappealing from my perspective, even as someone who is legitimately hard of hearing, having to turn up my left ear audio considerably to get an even volume across ears.

It still comes across a little cheaty. But I can see the arguments against that line of thinking..

"Sonic Radar is and onscreen overlay that visually represents sound activities according to their positional location. It is designed as a gaming aid for pro/am gamers, those hard of hearing or unable to use in-game audio clearly."

Edited by BanditMaka
  • 2 months later...
rustyneedle_uk
On 1/4/2019 at 7:53 PM, AdhesiveTeflon said:

Not bannable.

Viable?  Only if you like to use it.

Just to clarify, I am vary hearing handicapped in my right ear due to Army life so have a visual aid may be helpful, I know my death mate plays fortnight and has something similar installed and it gives him access to play the game.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:07 PM, BanditMaka said:

You sure this is being installed by default? Not doubting just double checking.
I just (6 days ago) installed a new ASUS motherboard, with a new BIOS, and don't have this installed.
It did install RealTek HD Audio Manager.

Sonic Radar, seems unappealing from my perspective, even as someone who is legitimately hard of hearing, having to turn up my left ear audio considerably to get an even volume across ears.

It still comes across a little cheaty. But I can see the arguments against that line of thinking..

"Sonic Radar is and onscreen overlay that visually represents sound activities according to their positional location. It is designed as a gaming aid for pro/am gamers, those hard of hearing or unable to use in-game audio clearly."

If you use the ASUS install CD /Iso and just press next next next next accept etc then it installs everything. INcluding the above.

It only works if you use on board sound thou (i THink)

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
IIGrimReaperII

I have had my Asus strix for 2 years and it comes with sonic radar 3. It lists that it works with 1 game. I tried to use it on another game and never could get it to work on anything. I just figure it's not bannable since it really doesn't work. I too am hard of hearing due to the Army and working in heavy industrial for 3 decades. Would be nice if it did work sadly it doesn't. For EFT I didn't even bother trying too much of a pain.