lordloren

***Story Mode: COULD IT BE A GOOD MOVE?***

lordloren

Greetings to you, developers of EFT and you beautiful people of the EFT Community,

I am an extremely new player in EFT, but have been a gamer of all sorts of game for the last 27 years and I have to say that I have never seen a game with so much potential as EFT.
I want to see this game succeed and become a staple for the genre. And in many ways, it already is.

Enough of that though, let's get into a couple of suggestions that I had.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I do want to lay down some groundwork and some premises before I go into the meat and potato.

1- I am well aware that my suggestions MAY be very far from the Devs vision and plans for the game. Because of my respect for that, I'd like to underline that my suggestions come from purely a personal wish; a wish to, perhaps, see them implemented sooner or later. In no ways I am suggesting that the Devs SHOULD or MUST change thier scope for this game. So if you feel compelled to comment that "dats not the devs plan"...save it. I'm aware.

2- I suck at the game big time. But I love the premise of it regardless, so I play it. The fact that I am nowhere near the top names of the leaderboard, should not influence the credibility and validity of my suggestions. Besides...we are talking about suggestions, not orders. So if you feel like criticizing my suggestions based on...well...your feelings that day, save it. I'm well aware that my suggestions may be subject for laughter to you and others.

3- I am NOT aware that these suggestions have already been made and declined. So if I bring up points that have already been dismissed by the devs, let me know, civilly and constructively.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

With that out of the way let's talk about Story Mode.
Why do I bring it up ( i know, boooriiiingg) and what do I see this game do with it. But most importantly: why oh why do I think it could be a good idea to implement in the game.

Let's take it from the top:

-- WHY SINGLE PLAYER AND WHAT STORY MODE --
         We all know here what type of game Escape From Tarkov is. We all know that its ultra realism and deep weapon sim nature, make it a dream come true for competitive shooter gamers.
However EST has (willingly or unwillingly, perhaps) created an incredibly solid foundation for not just the present day, but for next-gen shooter of all genre.
With its deep control system, inventory management, weapon response and realism, this game has spoiled us, if you may. I cringe anytime I play a game that doesn't have proper sound recorded, arcade mechanics and less than realistic looks, even. Is it just me? Maybe, but indulge me for a second and think of how huge and incredibly satisfying a potential Story Mode, with a plot well written, a level design that is top notch - just like what we already see in the multiplayer already, by the way -, character creation and customization, skill trees, perk point attributions, survival mechanics, could be.
Single Player in EFT, should be. of course, COMPLETELY SEPARATE, from the Multiplayer experience. Nothing crosses over: no items, rares, weapons, experience...nothing. It is a completely separate, fully self sufficient reality.

What I am talking about here is to take the customization mechanics and use them into a play mode that allows everyone to experience it and makes them want to, even more, take that knowledge on the multiplayer ground, against, other players.
I am talking about a full Special Forces Simulator, Action/RPG, with elements of survival, quests, mission rewards and tactical co-op integration. I am talking about the next gen Action shooter RPG.

Call me crazy or delusional, as you may, but this very thought blows my mind. I want it so bad.

I am talking about a Single Player that has few, but very engaging modes:
   a. Loadout Room: A open and close space where one can gain familiarity with his gear and all the gear in the game. Where it can field test gun modifications and game mechanics.
   b. Single Player Story Mode: with a plot, voice acted, soundtrack, cut scenes. I'm thinking big here because there is massive potential. But it doesn't have to be this big. It could be even just a bunch of missions that you go through and go from rags to riches, type of deal.
   c. Co-Op Story Mode (up to 4 players)
   d. Shooting Range Challenges: A Shooting range where you enter alone or with up to 8 friends to complete challenges and compete against each other, to see who's got better aim. Completing challenges awards items you can then use in your story mode as you progress.

I am aware that the co-op modes I suggested, are not technically Single Player, but the realm and context of what you play is single player. You co-op a story mode, if you catch my meaning.

What I have imagined for EFT is a story mode that picks up the lore of the game. I have several ideas for a plot line that could potentially fit in the game, so DEVs, if you are interested in suggestions about that, let me know. I'd be open to give some ideas. I'm not going to crowd this topic even further.

--SO WHY IS IT A GOOD IDEA, AGAIN?--
    I believe that today, games are moving into a more and more multiplayer platform. This is all well and good, but there is still a massive chunk of people that loves the single player experience.
I love immersing myself in the game mechanics and grow and progress within the story. Falling in love with characters, relate to life experiences. That's what gaming is about, in some cases. It's story telling and pure entertainment.
The reason I'm so convinced that EFT could revolutionize the Single Player world, as well as the multiplayer world, is because it has a strong structure and game mechanics.
I imagine missions in the story mode where we are tasked to recover a nuclear detonator fallen in the hands of (put faction name here). I imagine having to approach the mission according to the gear and skills we have available at that point: if we have a suppressed weapon, we could strive for a silent and more tactical approach. What about if we only have a shotgun? We can't approach long range, so we need to play it differently. Or we can go full on only knife, if we so wish. Using the enemy's weapons as we kill them. Every mission is re playable later, with the gear you have so far collected.
When I imagine all this, knowing the mechanics of EFT, I just want to play it so bad.

--CAN THE GAME BENEFIT FROM A SINGLE PLAYER MODE?--
     It is very much my belief, that a game like EFT, can ONLY benefit from a Single Player mode. I believe that the numbers of sales would only improve and more and more people would then be exposed and drawn in the main attraction: the Multiplayer. It would allow less confident players, to still want to play it and get into it, BECAUSE, there is a Single Player mode, where they can practice and perfection their skills and confidence. It would benefit the game, because it would add a massive layer of depth to the game, through a well crafted story, that draws people in not simply because of the high-adrenaline feeling, but also emotionally and sentimentally. There are only few games that I still play from 20 years ago, and those are the games that made me feel something inside, that I attached emotionally to.

I am of the strong belief that, if EFT crafted a great story, people would flood in from everywhere, trying to experience a campaign mode that encouraged them to play the game, be less frustrated with loosing gear, and not abandon the title because they feel not good enough at the game, and leave feeling they have wasted money on "another game".
Instead, you give them something to come back too and, eventually, help them feel more comfortable and confident with this incredible game.

I know, super long. Super boring and super hyperbole-filled piece.
But I hope this gave you, at least, a good read, devs. Hopefully, whilst swamped with updates and work to do on the current game ( which I am aware it's a ton of queued up work), you may find time to give this a thought. And perhaps you already did and strongly decided against a single player mode, in which case: more power to you and I truly hope you'll make EFT the game you all have in mind to make.

Peace,

a massive fan.

Story Mode Escape From Tarkov.jpg

• Like 4

Feuriax

Hello

As far as I know dev's will implement a story mod in the game. It may be not as "big" as you think but it is coming

Plus bsg will make a game named Russia 2028 (I am not certain about the name) and that game will be fully single player with cutscenes, a long story, its own musics etc.

Edited by Feuriax
  • Upvote 1

Adamantor

I was about to say Coop story mode... but its already in what u said... ;) I think story mode would be great for main plot- the Escaping from Tarkov- so let's say our "current" raids are more like preparations for scoring stuff/ earning favors with traders/etc. needed to get the hell out of the city.
BSG could script it a little bit, make it more exciting... Perhaps car escape in one of the missions? It would be coop, so no1 will say that car makes them too easy target or anything, cuz only AI would shoot them. :)
I'd say that the very very beginning should be a lil bit different for factions.
And first mission could be the one that you start the game with... Also sort of tutorial... "RUN GODDAMIT, RUN MAN!" *Use shift to run*
"Cant fit your gun into that gap? go midstance!" *Hold C and use mouse scroll to adjust stance*
etc. etc. :)

mcloud

The final game will be story driven, complete with cutscenes and all.

An single player game like tarkov with all the weapons and stuff is planned AFTER  this.

Tarkov will not be single player at all.

• Upvote 1

SommerTheViking

(i didnt actaully read it all)

I think it would be both FUN but also HELPFUL for new players to go through some sort of ''story mode'' where you get introduced to deffriend things along the way, one ''mission'' you learn flashlights and lasers, then they throw you into learning why to use penetration bullets mabye, and so on, so when you play PVP you have at least a base knowledge.

• Upvote 1

smokey-phil
8 minutes ago, SommerTheViking said:

(i didnt actaully read it all)

I think it would be both FUN but also HELPFUL for new players to go through some sort of ''story mode'' where you get introduced to deffriend things along the way, one ''mission'' you learn flashlights and lasers, then they throw you into learning why to use penetration bullets mabye, and so on, so when you play PVP you have at least a base knowledge.

I think it would be fun and useful the tarkov came with a collage sized text book covering things from : ballistics to tactical movement, sightlines, how to operate correctly, the brekki and how to avoid them,what actually is tushonka ?(canned stewed meat of number 1 best GOST standard), 7.62 and why its you new best friend, and a whole bunch of those little military training manuals they throw at you in basic (i'm talking about the ones the brits handed out in the 70's-90's to new mud puppys don't know if they still do i would think so they covered pretty much everything you could need to know about hiding in tree-lines and guesstimating distance using football fields)

Then when you log on you get tested before it lets you into the game for the first time :P 

Pmcs have standards these days we are not blackwater.

only slightly /s * edit

Edited by smokey-phil
forgot the last bit :S
  • Like 1

SommerTheViking
3 minutes ago, smokey-phil said:

I think it would be fun and useful the tarkov came with a collage sized text book covering things from : ballistics to tactical movement, sightlines, how to operate correctly, the brekki and how to avoid them,what actually is tushonka ?(canned stewed meat of number 1 best GOST standard), 7.62 and why its you new best friend, and a whole bunch of those little military training manuals they throw at you in basic (i'm talking about the ones the brits handed out in the 70's-90's to new mud puppys don't know if they still do i would think so they covered pretty much everything you could need to know about hiding in tree-lines and guesstimating distance using football fields)

Then when you log on you get tested before it lets you into the game for the first time :P 

Pmcs have standards these days we are not blackwater.

only slightly /s * edit

im not following what you are trying to say

mcloud

So you want an America's Army like bootcamp / training?

Who knows, maybe the devs will create an introduction / tutorial lvl.

we are just testing the maps and combat, not the story driven final game.

smokey-phil
13 minutes ago, SommerTheViking said:

im not following what you are trying to say

You (as in you behind the desk, not you in game) should have to take a test showing you are not clueless about the things a modern pmc would know. this should be knowledge you gain before trying to play the part of one this puts the responsibility to learn this stuff on the player rather the the dev team having to teach it leaving them free to make the best simulation they can.

also /s denotes sarcasm but as i said above in this case only slightly :P 

Edited by smokey-phil
forgot about sarcasm again

Adamantor

Tutorial level could be happening in the end of Contract Wars or when the whole hell in Tarkov started :) 

EagleNationUK1
On 9/6/2018 at 10:02 PM, lordloren said:

Greetings to you, developers of EFT and you beautiful people of the EFT Community,

I am an extremely new player in EFT, but have been a gamer of all sorts of game for the last 27 years and I have to say that I have never seen a game with so much potential as EFT.
I want to see this game succeed and become a staple for the genre. And in many ways, it already is.

Enough of that though, let's get into a couple of suggestions that I had.

I do want to lay down some groundwork and some premises before I go into the meat and potato.

1- I am well aware that my suggestions MAY be very far from the Devs vision and plans for the game. Because of my respect for that, I'd like to underline that my suggestions come from purely a personal wish; a wish to, perhaps, see them implemented sooner or later. In no ways I am suggesting that the Devs SHOULD or MUST change thier scope for this game. So if you feel compelled to comment that "dats not the devs plan"...save it. I'm aware.

2- I suck at the game big time. But I love the premise of it regardless, so I play it. The fact that I am nowhere near the top names of the leaderboard, should not influence the credibility and validity of my suggestions. Besides...we are talking about suggestions, not orders. So if you feel like criticizing my suggestions based on...well...your feelings that day, save it. I'm well aware that my suggestions may be subject for laughter to you and others.

3- I am NOT aware that these suggestions have already been made and declined. So if I bring up points that have already been dismissed by the devs, let me know, civilly and constructively.

With that out of the way let's talk about Story Mode.
Why do I bring it up ( i know, boooriiiingg) and what do I see this game do with it. But most importantly: why oh why do I think it could be a good idea to implement in the game.

Let's take it from the top:

-- WHY SINGLE PLAYER AND WHAT STORY MODE --
         We all know here what type of game Escape From Tarkov is. We all know that its ultra realism and deep weapon sim nature, make it a dream come true for competitive shooter gamers.
However EST has (willingly or unwillingly, perhaps) created an incredibly solid foundation for not just the present day, but for next-gen shooter of all genre.
With its deep control system, inventory management, weapon response and realism, this game has spoiled us, if you may. I cringe anytime I play a game that doesn't have proper sound recorded, arcade mechanics and less than realistic looks, even. Is it just me? Maybe, but indulge me for a second and think of how huge and incredibly satisfying a potential Story Mode, with a plot well written, a level design that is top notch - just like what we already see in the multiplayer already, by the way -, character creation and customization, skill trees, perk point attributions, survival mechanics, could be.
Single Player in EFT, should be. of course, COMPLETELY SEPARATE, from the Multiplayer experience. Nothing crosses over: no items, rares, weapons, experience...nothing. It is a completely separate, fully self sufficient reality.

What I am talking about here is to take the customization mechanics and use them into a play mode that allows everyone to experience it and makes them want to, even more, take that knowledge on the multiplayer ground, against, other players.
I am talking about a full Special Forces Simulator, Action/RPG, with elements of survival, quests, mission rewards and tactical co-op integration. I am talking about the next gen Action shooter RPG.

Call me crazy or delusional, as you may, but this very thought blows my mind. I want it so bad.

I am talking about a Single Player that has few, but very engaging modes:
   a. Loadout Room: A open and close space where one can gain familiarity with his gear and all the gear in the game. Where it can field test gun modifications and game mechanics.
   b. Single Player Story Mode: with a plot, voice acted, soundtrack, cut scenes. I'm thinking big here because there is massive potential. But it doesn't have to be this big. It could be even just a bunch of missions that you go through and go from rags to riches, type of deal.
   c. Co-Op Story Mode (up to 4 players)
   d. Shooting Range Challenges: A Shooting range where you enter alone or with up to 8 friends to complete challenges and compete against each other, to see who's got better aim. Completing challenges awards items you can then use in your story mode as you progress.

I am aware that the co-op modes I suggested, are not technically Single Player, but the realm and context of what you play is single player. You co-op a story mode, if you catch my meaning.

What I have imagined for EFT is a story mode that picks up the lore of the game. I have several ideas for a plot line that could potentially fit in the game, so DEVs, if you are interested in suggestions about that, let me know. I'd be open to give some ideas. I'm not going to crowd this topic even further.

--SO WHY IS IT A GOOD IDEA, AGAIN?--
    I believe that today, games are moving into a more and more multiplayer platform. This is all well and good, but there is still a massive chunk of people that loves the single player experience.
I love immersing myself in the game mechanics and grow and progress within the story. Falling in love with characters, relate to life experiences. That's what gaming is about, in some cases. It's story telling and pure entertainment.
The reason I'm so convinced that EFT could revolutionize the Single Player world, as well as the multiplayer world, is because it has a strong structure and game mechanics.
I imagine missions in the story mode where we are tasked to recover a nuclear detonator fallen in the hands of (put faction name here). I imagine having to approach the mission according to the gear and skills we have available at that point: if we have a suppressed weapon, we could strive for a silent and more tactical approach. What about if we only have a shotgun? We can't approach long range, so we need to play it differently. Or we can go full on only knife, if we so wish. Using the enemy's weapons as we kill them. Every mission is re playable later, with the gear you have so far collected.
When I imagine all this, knowing the mechanics of EFT, I just want to play it so bad.

--CAN THE GAME BENEFIT FROM A SINGLE PLAYER MODE?--
     It is very much my belief, that a game like EFT, can ONLY benefit from a Single Player mode. I believe that the numbers of sales would only improve and more and more people would then be exposed and drawn in the main attraction: the Multiplayer. It would allow less confident players, to still want to play it and get into it, BECAUSE, there is a Single Player mode, where they can practice and perfection their skills and confidence. It would benefit the game, because it would add a massive layer of depth to the game, through a well crafted story, that draws people in not simply because of the high-adrenaline feeling, but also emotionally and sentimentally. There are only few games that I still play from 20 years ago, and those are the games that made me feel something inside, that I attached emotionally to.

I am of the strong belief that, if EFT crafted a great story, people would flood in from everywhere, trying to experience a campaign mode that encouraged them to play the game, be less frustrated with loosing gear, and not abandon the title because they feel not good enough at the game, and leave feeling they have wasted money on "another game".
Instead, you give them something to come back too and, eventually, help them feel more comfortable and confident with this incredible game.

I know, super long. Super boring and super hyperbole-filled piece.
But I hope this gave you, at least, a good read, devs. Hopefully, whilst swamped with updates and work to do on the current game ( which I am aware it's a ton of queued up work), you may find time to give this a thought. And perhaps you already did and strongly decided against a single player mode, in which case: more power to you and I truly hope you'll make EFT the game you all have in mind to make.

Peace,

a massive fan.

Story Mode Escape From Tarkov.jpg

yes 100% agree :D

• Thanks 1

lordloren
On 9/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, Feuriax said:

Hello

As far as I know dev's will implement a story mod in the game. It may be not as "big" as you think but it is coming

Plus bsg will make a game named Russia 2028 (I am not certain about the name) and that game will be fully single player with cutscenes, a long story, its own musics etc.

Thanks for these info. How did you get these ingo, btw? Where can I read about the developments of this? Thanks

ShiroTenshi
4 hours ago, lordloren said:

Thanks for these info. How did you get these ingo, btw? Where can I read about the developments of this? Thanks

What he said isn't 100% accurate. Or perhaps he didn't explain what he meant well enough.

EFT's main mode, the Raids, will be the main storyline part of the game complete with cutscenes and everything, but it will always be played in a multiplayer setting. There will be no single player or PVE content in EFT.

Secondly, Russia 2028 was discussed back in 2016 and according to the DEVs, it will be a single player experience in the same world of Tarkov. Not much else is known about this, only that whatever they accomplish with EFT will server as a foundation towards Russia 2028.

lordloren
On 8/6/2019 at 5:15 PM, ShiroTenshi said:

What he said isn't 100% accurate. Or perhaps he didn't explain what he meant well enough.

EFT's main mode, the Raids, will be the main storyline part of the game complete with cutscenes and everything, but it will always be played in a multiplayer setting. There will be no single player or PVE content in EFT.

Secondly, Russia 2028 was discussed back in 2016 and according to the DEVs, it will be a single player experience in the same world of Tarkov. Not much else is known about this, only that whatever they accomplish with EFT will server as a foundation towards Russia 2028.

Wonderful! Thank you for the clarification!