geiservicenzi

Equalizers and Sound Settings, set yourself

geiservicenzi

Not forgetting stock adjustments and preferences, it is common knowledge that certain frequencies are more important than others, each has its own goals of harmony and compensation, however I would like to share the details observed about them shortly. Finishing with a sample or initial test base, suggesting new ideas, with these best suggestions.

OBS :. I was unable to define exactly whether the problem is being generated on my PC, even though I consider possible stability (audible improvement) to happen after a few minutes of raid or shortly after the first opponent's death and loot.

General audio settings:

Working frequency: 32Hz-16kHz

Scale: 0-12dB

Softwares Equalizers: Commonly found, standard examples that accompany the respective hardware or use of third parties with small adjustments, examples: vbcable + voicemeter, peace + equalizerAPO among others.

Settings used in test:

Hardware: Headset: Corsair HS50;

Software: Sonic Studio III;

Theoretical summary by simple analyzes in game, dedicated to different situations.

• Environment: External (stationary character / stable weather)

64-1kHz high band

1-4kHz low band

4-16kHz noises

• Environment: Inner (stationary character / stable weather)

64-500Hz high band

500-16kHz falling band

• Environment: External (character standing / unstable weather "rain")

64-4kHz high band

4-16kHz falling band

• Environment: Indoor (character standing / unstable weather "rain")

32-100Hz high band / with accessory is decreased

100-1kHz high band

1-10kHz falling band

• Environment: External (character running / stable climate)

32-100Hz high band / with accessory is decreased

100-1kHz high band / with accessory significantly increased

1-10kHz falling band / with accessory significantly increased

• Environment: External (passing through shrub / stable climate)

32-100Hz extremely high bandwidth / with accessories significantly decreased

100-1kHz extremely low bandwidth / with accessories significantly increased

4-10kHz falling band / with accessories significantly increased

• Environment: External / Internal (character jumping / stable climate)

32-100Hz high band / with accessories is decreased

100-500Hz high band / with accessories significantly increased

500-4kHz falling band / with accessories significantly increased

4-10kHz noises / with accessories significantly increased noises

• Environment: External / Internal (passing through metals / stable climate)

32-100Hz high band / with accessories is decreased

100-1kHz high band / with accessories significantly increased

1-10kHz falling band

• Environment: External / Internal (Opposites walking and running / stable climate)

32-100Hz high band / with accessories significantly decreased

100-500Hz high band / with accessories significantly decreased

500-16kHz falling band / with accessories significantly increasing especially from 4-16kHz

• Ambinte: External / Internal (throws / grenades)

32-100Hz high band / with accessories extremely diminished

100-250Hz drop band / with accessories extremely diminished

250-16kHz drop band / with accessories significantly decreasing especially from 4-16kHz

Exemplary of better adaptation:

It will be used with/without accessories (Comtacs, Helmets), with minimum adjustments in the frequencies 2-16kHz, because they are the main responsible for the noise opponents, opening and closing of doors etc ... to compensate their extremes the 250Hz band is used for that:

32Hz – +12dB

64Hz – +12dB

125Hz – -5dB

250Hz – +10/12dB

500Hz – -6

1kHz – -6

2kHz – +8/10dB

4kHz – +6dB

8kHz – +6dB

16kHz – +6dB

Other compensations needed for compression:

Smart Volume = 25% Soft option, compressor responsible for keeping volume constant on all elements, plus auto and smooth;

Treble Boost = 30%, increases the volume of high frequency sounds;

Reverb = Theater option 60-75%, increases the sensation of amplitude or noises caused at a distance;

Windows OS 10 = 40-60% of the total volume;

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TurkeyMaze

So I've been curious what it would be like to equalize/compress the in-game audio, but I'm unsure of what settings I'd put on an EQ band to make it sound better. 

I'm no audio engineer, but I was trying to follow what you've typed out here. 

How is the sound you're getting?

geiservicenzi

Maybe the photos help, other details on the subject, you find in tons on the internet, however I especially recommend for the seriousness this post

2036365289_SSIIIA.JPG.ef637ded1390112865bad7cbf25762ed.JPG608725416_SSIIIB.JPG.490ea3b7065d966ad30d9047bdf108ef.JPG

already in response to what I'm receiving is in accordance with what I expect, quieter (smaller) environment sounds focused on opponents, giving priority to mostly steps / noises of approximation with the sense of amplitude, as quoted.

Electric_Tiger

I'm much more preferable towards increase lower frequencies and decreasing highs.

High frequencies can heavily influence fight or flight reflexes, and as I've found when I lower the last 3-4 frequencies on the high end of a 12 band equalizer I flinch less and panic is shorter.

Plus the lows are very important in this game - grenade landing next to you, dirt, distant wood, and even metal footsteps make liberal use of lower frequencies.

I'm definitely going to try out the suggestions on reverb and treble boost, but I'm not sure I agree with the higher frequencies being bumped up (but that's just my ignorant preference!)

geiservicenzi

Thank you for your participation and sharing opinions, experiences.
The ideal is exactly this, mainly show people looking on the subject who should test the audio sensations that suits you as there are no magic numbers much less secret formula.

Bull243NL1973

Who have advise for good settings for my Logitech G933 ?

DanExert

Compression and reverb in a game which requires the use of sound to audibly locate enemy players? I don't see this as a good idea right off the bat, for those who may be unsure why I think this;

• Compression = reduces dynamic range, or, the difference between loud and quiet sounds. This natural difference helps our brain figure out how far away a sound is. Of course, the amount of compression (and threshold set) applied will affect the overall audio experience.

That said, the in-game headsets (ComTacs, Sordin etc) already work on this principle, by compressing the transients caused by weapons fire and increasing the overall amplitude of quieter sounds such as footsteps and gear shuffling. They don't seem to work just on compression though, as environmental sounds like rain are 'turned down' suggesting the actual in-game mix is altered when wearing these different headsets.

• Reverb = this helps us to differentiate the environment in which a sound originates; in an open field for example there will be no reverb, as reverb is caused by sounds reverberating or 'bouncing' off of surfaces. We can test this by clapping inside a room, then clapping outside in the garden. Adding artificial reverb to the full audio mix may make it more difficult to distinguish whether a sound came from inside Resort or from just outside, as a relevant example. 

I see a lot of people wanting to change the audio in Tarkov, and subjectively speaking I'm really not sure why, although i have been playing solid since November and am probably just 'used to it' haha. I wouldn't recommend any drastic changes like some of those mentioned above, although a little EQ work can be nice here and there (in any project) for taste, though I do prefer to hear things as the engineer intended with minimal amount of outside interference.

Smoerble

I won't use it, but I appreciate the hard work you did.

Electric_Tiger
15 minutes ago, DanExert said:

Compression and reverb in a game which requires the use of sound to audibly locate enemy players? I don't see this as a good idea right off the bat, for those who may be unsure why I think this;

• Compression = reduces dynamic range, or, the difference between loud and quiet sounds. This natural difference helps our brain figure out how far away a sound is. Of course, the amount of compression (and threshold set) applied will affect the overall audio experience.

That said, the in-game headsets (ComTacs, Sordin etc) already work on this principle, by compressing the transients caused by weapons fire and increasing the overall amplitude of quieter sounds such as footsteps and gear shuffling. They don't seem to work just on compression though, as environmental sounds like rain are 'turned down' suggesting the actual in-game mix is altered when wearing these different headsets.

• Reverb = this helps us to differentiate the environment in which a sound originates; in an open field for example there will be no reverb, as reverb is caused by sounds reverberating or 'bouncing' off of surfaces. We can test this by clapping inside a room, then clapping outside in the garden. Adding artificial reverb to the full audio mix may make it more difficult to distinguish whether a sound came from inside Resort or from just outside, as a relevant example. 

I see a lot of people wanting to change the audio in Tarkov, and subjectively speaking I'm really not sure why, although i have been playing solid since November and am probably just 'used to it' haha. I wouldn't recommend any drastic changes like some of those mentioned above, although a little EQ work can be nice here and there (in any project) for taste, though I do prefer to hear things as the engineer intended with minimal amount of outside interference.

What about equipment differences? I'm sure the engineer made it sound amazing on his Sennheisers, but the kid with Turtle Beaches doesn't get quite the same "feel". ;)

DanExert
3 minutes ago, Electric_Tiger said:

What about equipment differences? I'm sure the engineer made it sound amazing on his Sennheisers, but the kid with Turtle Beaches doesn't get quite the same "feel". ;)

If the player is using Turtle Beaches they're not concerned with audio quality haha

• Cold 1

geiservicenzi
26 minutes ago, DanExert said:

Compressão e reverb em um jogo que requer o uso de som para localizar os jogadores inimigos de forma audível? Eu não vejo isso como uma boa idéia logo de cara, para aqueles que podem estar inseguros porque eu penso isso;

• Compressão = reduz o alcance dinâmico ou a diferença entre sons altos e baixos. Essa diferença natural ajuda nosso cérebro a descobrir a que distância um som está. Naturalmente, a quantidade de compactação (e o limite definido) aplicada afetará a experiência de áudio geral.

Dito isto, os headsets do jogo (ComTacs, Sordin, etc) já trabalham com esse princípio, comprimindo os transientes causados pelo fogo das armas e aumentando a amplitude geral dos sons mais silenciosos, como passos e embaralhamento de equipamentos. Eles não parecem funcionar apenas com a compressão, já que sons ambientais como a chuva são 'recusados', sugerindo que a mistura real no jogo é alterada ao usar esses fones de ouvido diferentes.

• Reverb = isso nos ajuda a diferenciar o ambiente no qual um som se origina; em um campo aberto, por exemplo, não haverá reverberação, pois a reverberação é causada por sons que reverberam ou "saltam" das superfícies. Podemos testar isso batendo palmas dentro de uma sala e batendo palmas do lado de fora no jardim. Adicionar um reverb artificial à mixagem completa de áudio pode tornar mais difícil distinguir se um som veio de dentro do Resort ou de fora, como um exemplo relevante. 

Eu vejo muitas pessoas querendo mudar o áudio em Tarkov, e subjetivamente falando eu realmente não estou certo do porquê, apesar de eu ter jogado sólido desde novembro e provavelmente estar 'acostumado' haha. Eu não recomendaria nenhuma mudança drástica como algumas das mencionadas acima, embora um pouco de trabalho de EQ possa ser bom aqui e ali (em qualquer projeto) por gosto, embora eu prefira ouvir coisas como o engenheiro pretendia com quantidade mínima de fora interferência.

Enlightening and respectable comments, thanks for the feedback. The intention behind this post would be to make statistics of each brand / model of the headset, offering options with minimal adjustments in relation to the game, however I believe I was a little mistaken in the analysis, because there was information not yet understood by me, please kindness that helps with new observations to the details that had been working, would be eternally grateful.

DanExert
1 minute ago, geiservicenzi said:

Enlightening and respectable comments, thanks for the feedback. The intention behind this post would be to make statistics of each brand / model of the headset, offering options with minimal adjustments in relation to the game, however I believe I was a little mistaken in the analysis, because there was information not yet understood by me, please kindness that helps with new observations to the details that had been working, would be eternally grateful.

Every discussion is worth having when the discussion members are respectful and interested in the subject! Thank you for bringing an interesting topic to the forum, it's always good to talk about audio :) 

geiservicenzi

As I had previously commented, I would humbly like opinions to accelerate and improve my learning!

It is of extreme importance to know that the effects can be contradictory, change by countless variables, hardware, user and mainly accessory being the headset, its material, construction, model or brand, purpose to which it is determined. This is exactly where the simple and objective sharing of everyone, coherently entering, providing ease of information to those who seek it.

I imagine that at some point, we could even create statistics by choosing the best settings for each brand / model headset in relation to the game.

OBS :. Follow the same post patterns as you like, settings photo, hardware model and accessory mark, followed with brief explanation and/or observations.

Classification of frequencies:

Closed environments = serious audios

32Hz

Imperceptible effects in the tests;

64Hz

Improvement - sense of direction, (up, down, right and left), distance, voices ...

125Hz

It is advisable to always work with positive values (values above zero) but smaller, because it will neutralize certain acute noises that would have the purpose of being heard;

250Hz

frequency responsible for increments as a sense of echo;

500Hz

frequency responsible for increments of environment, climate, etc ... but contrary to the value 125Hz, does not have as significant effects on noise neutralization;

Open Environments = acute audios

1kHz

Improvement - Water divider, frequency that titled as average, it increases offers overall volume of any configuration;

2kHz

Improvement - frequency responsible for increments, offers openness to certain noises audible without it, like steps of certain distance generated when hearing the boots dragging sand in a concrete floor, races with strong beats to the ground, diverse leaps ... Always advisable to work with it negative (values below zero)

4kHz

Improvement - Frequency that produces the best response noises to adversaries, improves hearing in the passage of certain materials such as metal, cement, shrubs, footsteps and silent walks ...

8kHz

Extreme acute, includes only low noise, sometimes uncomfortable, therefore I consider disposable;

16kHz

Imperceptible effects in the tests;

Final Suggestions:

There is an easier way that I found of you to prove the best configuration with the questions, YOU vs. ADVERSARY, is to play in offline mode, lower all frequencies to minus twelve (-12dB), play this way, then with Alt + TAB help , add one by one, put a maximum of + 12dB and observe the effect against scavs "your chance to demystify those low frequencies, which listen to steps, so respected", then just add/remove another one to form the best combination.

Below is a legal combination that I have been testing at the moment, with no environment / climate noises and with good harmony only in relation to the opponent. However possible only with the help of the options Treble Boost and Reverb in 100% (unfortunately), regardless of the map.