Jump to content
MacThresh

Do you do this too?

Helping people  

61 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you help newcomers/lightly geared dudes when you can?

    • Yes definitely, all the time, even if it's a bit risky for myself
      8
    • Yes I try, but not all the time, I often just press the trigger and think after
      26
    • No way man, I don't like it / not willing to risk it
      27


Recommended Posts

MacThresh

Hi, this is not a post bragging about me being a whiteknight or something. It's just to share experience doing this and maybe make you reconsider some of your encounters. 

In this game, especially when in latepatch with a wipe coming, I like to cooperate a lot. So when I see (in time, not always the case as you know) what look like a low leveled player, I try to help them in the best possible way. I dont shoot hatchlings too but that's more debatable and not the main subject of this topic, I'm talking about lightly geared dudes (SKS/MBSS/PACA is what I call lightly for example). Hell, I even hide stuff of sub lvl 20 people, even a fully decked M4+Alpha rig etc for example. 

More precise example, shoreline resort, 25min in, I cleaned the whole place from scavs, decked dudes and rooms. I hear SKS shots from the bus parking near west wing. I run to the roof, and notice two low geared (SKS/No Helmet, AVS) little guys fighting scavs. I think one of them died or ran to extract because I encountered only one when he approached west wing hole in the wall entrance. 

I start spamming "Cease Fire!" "Follow me" and such, I think there is a 5/10 rate of people answering and willing to cooperate/get free loot, when they are not, it's often fully geared people just wanting to kill players, or maybe other thinking it's a bait (RIP). So, he answers, saying "Okay!" "I'm Hurt" etc. 

Staying safe, I drop an IFAK from the roof but he doesnt see it. So I run downstairs, starts flashing light and yelling to cease fire. He comply. I'm not sure what level he was but probably sub 20 since it's late game (no wipe since a long time) and he's not geared a lot. I start dropping things valuable but that are clogging my stash : morphines, IFAKs, rare mods, and a Bitcoin. Heart warming, he starts giggling and rotating his head around, yay, satisfaction! Then I drag him into the resort and lead him to diverse hidden loot from other players that I killed (Alpha Rig, FastMT, and a GEN4 that I dropped myself). I felt bad about the guy I killed because he was level 19 and I hid his stuff for a reason. But the guy I was helping seemed to need it more, and the M4 of the dead lvl19 dude stayed in the resort. Trying to please everyone, you know. 

So here it is, just a story about working together and helping newcomers. I have tons of story like this, honestly I can't count how many people I helped to get gear or just to survive the raid. I like it more than wiping a whole squad actually. I try to do it with player scavs, but for some reason success rate drop to 1/10 :D so I stopped trying with them. 

I swear guys, if you're not doing this, try it sometimes. I'm not talking about extreme stuff like hiding gear of low level instead of grabbing it or feeling bad everytime you destroy a player scav or a low level player that let you no choice. I'm just talking about using voice command more when it's safe, and trying to cooperate with lightly geared ppl, making them profit from your experience, your keys and your kills. I promise you that it is a very satisfying practice, and even if there is no way to know who you helped or add them, you helped someone once, sometimes a lot (like this SKS guy who got out with fastMT GEN4 BTC etc) sometimes less, but you helped. Yeah, wiping a squad of lvl 40s is satisfying, but try this! Newcomers will see this game differently, hardcore, unforgivable, but with a good community of OGs who help others. Try it. 

 

Feel free to share your experiences here, or debate on how/why/whynot doing what I do. 

Edited by MacThresh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Electric_Tiger
12 minutes ago, MacThresh said:

I swear guys, if you're not doing this, try it sometimes.

No.

Welcome to Tarkov.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenixsui

I dont help them, when i meet them ingame. Since most of them are lvl 40+ guys still not risking a thing. I just cant tell on the fly.

But if i kill a lvl 0-15 and i feel he deserves to have his gear safed, i am going to glitch it away for him or throw it in a bush.
I maybe even contact him after the raid to have a chat or maybe play some raids with him. 50% of them dont accept the friendrequests. 50% do accept.

I hate to kill low lvls. Especially when they play carefully and still get wrecked. And even more if they used their best gear without gearfear. I think those deserve to have their gear back if possible. I dont want them to ragequit after the first 2 hours of gameplay.

It is not like i need anything with lvl 40+. Those who accept my invite usually get 1-3 times a full set of gear to tryout, even if i know they will lose it in the first 3 raids ;D. Or they will make a lot of noise and give my position away and do stupid beginner errors al lthe time. I like more to give than take my enemys stuff. It "feels" better to support than sealclub.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiroTenshi

Right now there is no reason to do it. Eventually when the Karma system comes in and there are penalties attached to having bad Karma, we might see this change a bit. How much is still to be seen as with the coming clothing customization options, identifying factions will be a bit or a nightmare, unless they make it so customization choices are different for each faction and not shared. 

Cooperation will certainly be encouraged in the final version of the game, but ultimately it is up to each person to do it or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheHappyMile
vor 18 Minuten schrieb Brusko-BHF:

But if i kill a lvl 0-15 and i feel he deserves to have his gear safed, i am going to glitch it away for him or throw it in a bush.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MacThresh
57 minutes ago, Electric_Tiger said:

No.

Welcome to Tarkov.

Oh well, you can keep your welcoming, we started the game roughly at the same time so...

 

49 minutes ago, Brusko-BHF said:

I dont help them, when i meet them ingame. Since most of them are lvl 40+ guys still not risking a thing. I just cant tell on the fly.

But if i kill a lvl 0-15 and i feel he deserves to have his gear safed, i am going to glitch it away for him or throw it in a bush.
I maybe even contact him after the raid to have a chat or maybe play some raids with him. 50% of them dont accept the friendrequests. 50% do accept.

I hate to kill low lvls. Especially when they play carefully and still get wrecked. And even more if they used their best gear without gearfear. I think those deserve to have their gear back if possible. I dont want them to ragequit after the first 2 hours of gameplay.

It is not like i need anything with lvl 40+. Those who accept my invite usually get 1-3 times a full set of gear to tryout, even if i know they will lose it in the first 3 raids ;D. Or they will make a lot of noise and give my position away and do stupid beginner errors al lthe time. I like more to give than take my enemys stuff. It "feels" better to support than sealclub.

 

Cheers man, that's the perfect mixture of approach of the game, I get that my case is a bit extreme, but finding a balance between the (too much) good guy and the terminator that would kill his little brother on his first game, that's what's making this game less "toxic" to newcomers. 

 

49 minutes ago, ShiroTenshi said:

Right now there is no reason to do it. Eventually when the Karma system comes in and there are penalties attached to having bad Karma, we might see this change a bit. How much is still to be seen as with the coming clothing customization options, identifying factions will be a bit or a nightmare, unless they make it so customization choices are different for each faction and not shared. 

Cooperation will certainly be encouraged in the final version of the game, but ultimately it is up to each person to do it or not. 

Definitely, I don't need a reward system to do morally good things, but that will help some I guess! 

  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MacThresh

First results of the poll are predictable but damn man, so cold! But I get you guys, the game is not mainly about coop, it's about survival. So I can understand. But still, when your stash is full of endgame stuff and you're 30+ close to a wipe, you should try being the good guy. I think there is a link to gear fear. Most are too scared to risk to help someone who can turn on them (it's really, really rare though, I can tell) or to play with a beginner who will give them on a plate or something. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenixsui

@MacThreshI am a Bear an you wouldnt understand my Voice commands ;D I tried it and it doesnt work as a bear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MacThresh
Just now, Brusko-BHF said:

@MacThreshI am a Bear an you wouldnt understand my Voice commands ;D I tried it and it doesnt work as a bear.

Oh yeah forgot to mention BEARs, that's a real issue, since you can't understand you just can't help them. Well I still try, if I hear him respond and I know he's not fully geared (most importantly), I'll still try to make contact. Giggles can help too. But you're right, in most case, being a BEAR is a massive disadvantage to cooperation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiroTenshi
21 minutes ago, MacThresh said:

Definitely, I don't need a reward system to do morally good things, but that will help some I guess! 

Morality really has nothing to do with it. It's a game. It's make believe. A place where you make the the rules. The vast majority of people are able to make this distinction and realize what they do in a game does not mirror what they would do in real life.

Right now EFT pretty much encourages the KOS mentality. You get EXP, Money for the dogtags and one less guy that could take something you want/need. There is no drawback to killing randoms.

Ultimately EFT is a mix of genres but even with Karma, there will always be  people killing one another simply because they can and the goal is to escape a warzone, not make friends.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marcelo_1979
1 hour ago, MacThresh said:

I start spamming "Cease Fire!" "Follow me" and such

 

1 hour ago, MacThresh said:

I'm just talking about using voice command more when it's safe, and trying to cooperate with lightly geared ppl, making them profit from your experience, your keys and your kills. I promise you that it is a very satisfying practice, and even if there is no way to know who you helped or add them, you helped someone once, sometimes a lot (like this SKS guy who got out with fastMT GEN4 BTC etc) sometimes less, but you helped.

Smoke, is that you? Kappa.

All joking aside, helping out beginner players is a great way to welcome them into the brutal and sometimes unforgiving world of Tarkov. I wish I could do this more often, but I usually play in a squad which makes it harder to bound with solo low level players, since some of my squadmates are very trigger happy and are adept of the "shoot first, ask later" mindset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Electric_Tiger

Well, I wasn't welcoming you in particular. Whenever I find dog tags of a very low level that is how I feel about it.

 

Cooperating with strangers is something you've always been free to do, but it is very risky and rarely rewarding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Broshido

I found that during the first few weeks of playing EFT I tried to stay neutral in my interactions with other other PMCs more often than not, whenever I had the chance to interact with another PMC I would try to team up with emotes, and sometimes my encounters were fruitful and sometimes not.

Here's the big 'but'.. but now anybody who isn't already in my squad I usually don't spare the effort to help or care how they are geared, because if they have a weapon (hatchet included) I consider that person a threat to me and my buddy. I usually enter a raid with my buddy with the intent to survive, so it's much easier for us to accomplish that if we only help ourselves, even if that means killing PMCs of our faction or other PMCs in-raid.  However, I applaud anyone who has the time, patience and willingness to help others out during their raids or choose not to kill, but at this time during the testing phase, I don't usually try anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyCloud

When ever i tried to help a hatchling we both end up dead because of his mistakes so no more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
runny

As a newer player myself, I met a couple hatchlings and let them go. But then they seem to invite themselves to hang out with me which I’m not comfortable with so they get dead.

More recently I’ve noticed hatchlings who whip out a pistol from their secure container and then just stow it away as soon as they lost the advantage. That’s straight cheese and isn’t helping the ‘help a hatchling’ cause. Furthermore the only reason I can see to just hatchet it up is to complete quests, but most of the hatchlings I see are out for loot and backstab kills. That’s also cheese so don’t expect me to let you go if you’re looking for easy loot.

Yesterday 2 hatchlings took shots at me, when I killed them all I get is a low level dog tag because they stowed their pistol. They didn’t play like low level, they were probably people who upgraded on the sale. Yet they go zero risk runs on me, a newer player, who is bringing out some of my best stuff and even if I win then I gain nothing.

 

I would like to see something done about hiding guns in the secure container before I start thinking about turning my back to a hatchling.

Edited by runny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KentuckyFriedSpy

I would help out and co-operate with hatchlings and lightly geared PMCs but most of them end up shooting you in the back of the head or at the extraction so I don't take the risks anymore.

Rule 1 of EFT: Make no friends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2