iyhan_spb

Kalashnikov family tree

iyhan_spb

Since EFT takes place in Russia and there are a lot of AK variants, I've decided to make the AK family tree for you with the main ones. I guess it will be good to know, how the main Russian assault rifle evolved. There will be no civilian guns such as Saiga and VPO series, only military ones.

kalashi.thumb.jpg.3681c84960768cbe75c48371a9914058.jpg

What does AK(N) mean on the scheme?
It means that there are actually two variants: AK and AKN. AKM(S)B stands for AKMB and AKMSB

And that's why I claim AK-46 and AK-47 are absolutely different prototypes:

Скрытый текст

Modifikatsiya-avtomata-AKS-74UB.png.1d27ae8d0f61956c184f4c754006be88.png.089448e404be15836f7467189efe8ca8.png

Also here are all the abbreviations I used:

• AEK (rus. АЕК) - common name of the guns developed at the Kovrov Mechanical Plant. "K" doesn't mean Kalashnikov here, as well as "A" doesn't mean Аvtomat(lit. automatic rifle)!
  • AK (rus. АК) - Avtomát Kaláshnikova, lit. Kalashnikov Automatic Rifle
  • B (rus. Б) - Bezshumny, lit. Silenced 
  • L (rus. Л) - Lavrin, designer's surname. "N" variant with special flashhider for NSP-3 night scope. Also there were RPK-L and RPKS-L, but I couldn't find any suitable pictures... 
  • M (rus. М) - Modernizírovanny, lit. Modernized 
  • N (rus. Н) - Nochnoy, lit. Night Version( weapon variant with side rail for Night Scopes) 
  • OTs (rus. ОЦ) - Obrazets TsKIB SSO, lit. Design of CDRB SHA (Central Design and Research Bureau of Sporting and Hunting Arms)
  • PK (rus. ПК) - Pulemyot Kalashnikova, lit. Kalashnikov Machinegun
  • PKP (rus. ПКП) - Pulemyot Kalashnikova Pekhotny, lit. Kalashnikov Infantry Machinegun
  • PP (rus. ПП) - Pistolet-Pulemyot, lit. Submachine gun. For example PPSh-41 means Shpagin submachine gun. (But that is not about ammo! 5.45x39 PP  means Povishenoi Probivaemosti, lit. increased penetration power) 
  • RPK (rus. РПК) - Ruchnoy Pulemyot Kalashnikova, lit. Kalashnikov hand-held machine gun
  • S (rus. С) - Skladnoy, lit. Folding
  • SVD (rus. СВД) - Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova, lit. Dragunov Sniper Rifle. 
  • SVK (rus. СВК) - Snayperskaya Vintovka Kalashnikova, lit. Kalashnikov Sniper Rifle. 
  • U (rus. У) - Ukorochenny, lit. Compact. Soldiers also called AKS-74U not Ukorochenny, but Ubludok, lit. Bastard, cause it's bad accuracy, recoil and barrel overheat. But there is also more gentle nickname for AKS-74U: Ksuha or Ksusha. It is the short form of the Russian female name Ksenia.
  • US (rus. УС) - Umenshenoy Skorosti, lit. Decreased Speed. Subsonic ammo.
  • VPO (rus. ВПО) - Vyatskiye Polyany Ohotnichiy, lit. Vyatskiye Polyany Hunting, the common name for the hunting guns developed at the Vyatskiye Polyany Molot Machine-Building Plant

I think now you can even understand, what the horrifying abbreviations AKMSU, RPKS-74N and AKMSB actually mean 

@pkozik asked me to metion that here in Яussia in the official language we do not put hyphen in the guns' names. Actually it is РПК74М, not РПК-74М.  But I keep writing in American style cause it makes this article easier for you to read and understand. 

@Forien asked me to metion that AK-47 was never widly produced or used by the Soviet military, it was just a prototype, that can only be found in several museums. 
There are still many people thinking that AK/AKM or even Type-56 is AK-47, but it is just a well-established misconception. Let me proof it:
In 1991 AK-74 was modernized and the new gun was called AK-74M. And in 1959 AK or AK-47 was modernized and the new gun was called AKM. Not AK-47M. Just AKM. By removing "M"s, we can get the original guns' names:
AK-74M and AKM.   

So, about AK-74 modernization. In the late eighties there were 4 AK variants in service: AK-74, AK-74N, AKS-74 and AKS-74N, so it was decided to replace them with one new AK-74M. Therefore "N" and "S" letters are no longer used in the modern AK variants(1991 and later), though AK-74M has siderail and folding stock. Now they are gun's default options. 
The same situation is about RPK-series. RPK-74RPK-74NRPKS-74 and RPKS-74N were replaced by RPK-74M with siderail and folding stock. 

I hope you've learned something new! Good luck! :)

Our EFT trial key winners: @Schaefer @northernco @s4tur0s @Eva_Curi @bob2641 @bertmacklen @Imp3rius @666ter666 @smaaken @Forien @Unwinder @Snork_Svk @Pand1 @crisisstorm

Edited by iyhan_spb
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6
  • Hot 5
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 11

TheWay

Very interesting article, thank you for gathering and providing all the data here for us! @iyhan_spb

• Thanks 1

bertmacklen

And I’m sure they’ll all eventually sneak their way into the game. Obviously the SV-Variants and RPKs should be, but there are basically 3 assault rifles right now; SA58, M4, AK. Now some may consider the M1A1 or the SKS Assault Riffles, but considering their Semi-Only mode, they’re leaning towards Battle Rifles, but that’s semantics. We need semi only M4 variations, that are cheap, but read it was coming at some point and time (HK416 is a luxury M4).

iyhan_spb
3 часа назад, bertmacklen сказал:

And I’m sure they’ll all eventually sneak their way into the game

I'm curious to test AK-107 and AK-108 in EFT :)

rjtunink

Looking forward to all future variations :bewhink:

john801121

Now I want to try OTs-14. Bullpup looks neat.

iyhan_spb
7 минут назад, john801121 сказал:

Now I want to try OTs-14. Bullpup looks neat.

As for me, bullpuped AKs are ugly as hell! :) AUG and FN2000 are sexy though ;)

Edited by iyhan_spb

bertmacklen

FN>Aug; Stanag FTW lol

Gabba54610

All those are born with German sturmgewher 44 design... That was robe after the war!! 

Anyway... Nice weapons here

iyhan_spb
14 минуты назад, Gabba54610 сказал:

All those are born with German sturmgewher 44 design... That was robe after the war!! 

gromodzilla
14 hours ago, iyhan_spb said:

They may look similar, but inside they are very different.

iyhan_spb
7 часов назад, gromodzilla сказал:

They may look similar, but inside they are very different.

Exactly! 

northernco

The STG44's closest relative is actually the CETME/G3, they used part of the roller-locked bolt design. The AK has its roots firmly in earlier designs completely unrelated to the '44.

• Upvote 1

iyhan_spb
22 часа назад, northernco сказал:

The AK has its roots firmly in earlier designs completely unrelated to the '44.

Yeap. For example AB-46(Bulkin Avtomatic Rifle):

Скрытый текст

ab-46-razbore.thumb.jpg.750086abb13287db564d300798e6d617.jpg

Forien
On 10/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, iyhan_spb said:

I guess it will be good to know, how the main Russian assault rifle evolved.

Overall great chart!

I only think it would be good to bold out that "AK-47" was never produced or used by the military, it was only a prototype. There are still many people thinking that AK/AKM is AK-47 :( . And I believe you missed AK-48 prototype, which was made to fix some AK-47 issues. AFAIK the first AK was based on the 48 protoype.  

iyhan_spb
17 минут назад, Forien сказал:

I only think it would be good to bold out that "AK-47" was never produced or used by the military, it was only a prototype.

I thought it can be clearly seen on the picture. By the way AK-47 was produced in small numbers for army trials.

AFAIK there was no AK-48(AK-48 is as wrong, as AK-47 wrong for serial AK) , there was just a slightly modernized version of the AK-47 prototype, so there was no need to change gun's index :)
They were named AK-47 №1, AK-47 №2, AK-47 №3....

Edited by iyhan_spb

Forien
1 minute ago, iyhan_spb said:

I thought it can be clearly seen on the picture. By the way AK-47 was produced in small numbers for army trials.

AFAIK there was no AK-48(AK-48 is as wrong, as AK-47 wrong for serial AK) , there was just a slightly modernized version of the AK-47 prototype, so there was no need to change gun's index

Army trials is still not quite there as "released" or "mass-produced". For me it's clear, but I'm only concerned if it's clear to everyone. (you know, our western friends).

As for 48 prototype, I read about it in a book (I'm Polish) written by a historian specializing in XX century weaponry. But that's the only source I have, so... 

Anyway, great chart nontheless!

• Thanks 1

iyhan_spb
4 минуты назад, Forien сказал:

Army trials is still not quite there as "released" or "mass-produced". For me it's clear, but I'm only concerned if it's clear to everyone. (you know, our western friends).

I've got your point, I will add this info!

4 минуты назад, Forien сказал:

As for 48 prototype, I read about it in a book (I'm Polish) written by a historian specializing in XX century weaponry. But that's the only source I have, so...

Yeap. It is not clear.... I heard about AK-48, but I couldn't find any docs where this name was mentioned. If I'll find one, of course I will rework this picture

• Like 1

bertmacklen
14 hours ago, Forien said:

Yeah, the US can attest to this easily.

Just because they tested rifle launched nukes doesn’t mean they used them

Pixel
vor 22 Stunden schrieb iyhan_spb:

IYeap. It is not clear.... I heard about AK-48, but I couldn't find any docs where this name was mentioned. If I'll find one, of course I will rework this picture

I don't think an AK-48 was ever a thing, however, there was briefly an AK-49. The first production 47's had some serious production issues with their stamped receivers, so they put in a heavier milled receiver, those guns were (officially) known as AK-49. There aren't many of 'em around and these days they're generally referred to as the AK-47 Type 2.

iyhan_spb
29 минут назад, Pixel сказал:

The first production 47's had some serious production issues with their stamped receivers, so they put in a heavier milled receiver, those guns were (officially) known as AK-49

You are absolutely right except that this name was unofficial and rarely used among the designers :)

Schaefer

What is the question??

I am confused.