Spectator6

Please add an option to <CLICK> for cycling the bolt action

Spectator6

It would be very nice to be able to fire a round with a left mouse button CLICK, and then work the bolt with a left mouse button CLICK. It's probably more a matter of personal preference, but I've always preferred those games that use a CLICK like Rising Storm 2, Red Orchestra 1/2, etc rather than EFT's current implementation of delaying working the bolt by HOLDING the left mouse button. 

Further, there are many people I play with that do not realize manual bolting is in the game simply because they never think to even try holding down the mouse button after firing a shot. Letting players "click" to cycle the bolt may help the feature gain some exposure since more people would encounter it. Then, they could change the setting to HOLD the fire key if they prefer that method.

In instances where the player picks finds a bolt action rifle and does NOT do a chamber check, I think the first left-click "fire" attempt should always be pulling the trigger. If the pin falls on an empty chamber (ie the gun does not fire), then the next click could be to work the bolt. Another click would fire off the chambered round. However, if instead the bolt is locked back due to an empty magazine, the player then knows he needs to reload with 'R'. To me, that's the most intuitive way to proceed.

To summarize, the options the user could set in his controls may be to:

• keep delaying manual bolting as HOLD <fire> (the current implementation)
  • allow click <fire> to also double as manual bolting (similar to Red Orchestra and others, where the the clicks are FIRE, work the bolt, FIRE, work the bolt, FIR-- Ooops! No round chambered! so it's just a dry 'click', 'R' to reload)
  • allow the user to set 'working the bolt' as a separate key binding altogether

Thoughts? Suggestions?

NOTE: I have zero interest in starting a debate about which system is better (hold or click), this is more about giving the player the option to choose which is best for him.

Edited by Spectator6
add post note

BreadGoneBad

+1
I would like to be able to work the bolt or charging handle on all guns actually, but most of all for bolt action rifles. I did not know I could hold down the button to not cycle the bolt before I read this post.

Spectator6
15 hours ago, BreadGoneBad said:

+1
I would like to be able to work the bolt or charging handle on all guns actually, but most of all for bolt action rifles. I did not know I could hold down the button to not cycle the bolt before I read this post.

Yeah, from what I've seen watching newcomers on Twitch, this is a feature they regularly do not know is in the game. Making it default as click-to-cycle will at least let them know the feature is there and, if they prefer it as hold/continuous, could easily change it in the settings.