cala13er

Actual in-depth tutorial. Anyone interested?

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forums but certainly not to Tarkov and know pretty much everything there is to know about EFT as of yet. Anyway, I noticed there isn't many tutorials at all on the game despite it not being extremely noob-friendly. There are only "TOP 10 TIPS for beginners" so I thought about creating a few youtube videos covering all areas of Tarkov and explaining it all in-depth so people can really understand the game.

Please point out to me if I'm wrong regarding this.

Is there anyone who would be interested in such a tutorial series? Even 10 peoples interest would motivate me to create them.

A few ideas for videos i have to help understand are (might have to spread them over more videos but you get the idea) :
Episode 1 : Stash and basic mechanics.
Episode 2 : Maps, looting and scavs.
Episode 3 : Traders and missions along with standing
Episode 4 : Armor and Peripherals along with health
Episode 5 : Guns, ammo and uses.
Episode 6 : Understanding sounds and surroundings.

And then a few videos to help get a player into growing fast.

Episode 1 : Making money from looting
Episode 2 : Successful Raiding
Episode 3 : Leveling up traders fast and easily.
Episode 4 Flea market and huge profits (After doing stuff from episode 3)
Episode 5 : Building confidence in going head on with geared players and how to judge whether you can win based on your loadout
Episode 6 : The useful tool finding (Keytool, wallets, documents etc...)

Other suggestions are welcomed and will be taken on board.

please let me know if this is of interest to you or if you think it's a bad idea.

Edited by cala13er
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I’m not noob but interested, not for me but I think is a good idea, help newcomers even a little bit is good for the community and for themselves. You have my support and tell me if need anything to help.

cheers

The idea as such is very good, but write it down with screenshots and maps where needed, instead of making videos. It will be easier and faster for you to produce valuable tutorials, and for us it will be easier and faster to read the thing. Quite often I have to endure 20-30 minutes of tutorial movie in order to hear that one piece of info I'm looking for - please don't do that. Write it in short paragraphs, that are straight to the point and easy to remember. Bullet points, maybe. Avoid additional non-pertinent info, jokes, anecdotes and the like. Try to be objective and give reasons why something has to be done is such and such way.

Streamers produced hours upon hours which could have been condensed into one pdf, after weeding out the thrash talk. No need to repeat their work, do it differently.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, halberger said:

The idea as such is very good, but write it down with screenshots and maps where needed, instead of making videos. It will be easier and faster for you to produce valuable tutorials, and for us it will be easier and faster to read the thing. Quite often I have to endure 20-30 minutes of tutorial movie in order to hear that one piece of info I'm looking for - please don't do that. Write it in short paragraphs, that are straight to the point and easy to remember. Bullet points, maybe. Avoid additional non-pertinent info, jokes, anecdotes and the like. Try to be objective and give reasons why something has to be done is such and such way.

Streamers produced hours upon hours which could have been condensed into one pdf, after weeding out the thrash talk. No need to repeat their work, do it differently.

While I'd love to sit down and write it all down. Speaking and showing people how to do it in a video is far less time consuming and if explained correctly - Far easier too understand. Topping that off with my dyslexia would make a very bored and error heavy PDF. However I may look into doing this alongside the videos. This isn't about getting 1000's of views. I couldn't care less. I made mods a couple of years ago and racked up about 60,000 views and 2k subscribers from doing tutorial videos regarding my mods and that gave me absolutely no joy. It was people who were helped by the video and enjoyed my mods. So even if this helps 10 people or 100's of people get back into the game and thriving. That's all I care about. The video isn't about getting people to like me either. I don't intend to fill the video with pointless mumble jumble either. Everything will be straight to the point, and each part will be timestamped in each video to help people navigate to the part that will help them. I disagree that screenshots and paragraphs will make it easier and shorter to produce. There is a bloody lot to cover and to understand too really be able to judge everything in this game. As a player who 9 times out of 10 can correctly judge whether the geared player near me is worth taking on based on their gear, position and my load out. And 10 times out of 10 hear understand every sound around me, where abouts (apart from vertically, the vertical sound in this game is non-existant) and risk factor.

17 hours ago, Kimuri said:

I wouldn't suggest it

Sure it's welcome but not worth your time; streamers have already done this and get most of the views. 

It's not about getting loads of views. Like I said with above guy. I've had about 60,000 views from 2 tutorial videos and 2k subscribers (I know it's not a lot but its more than most) from when I made mods for games. Mainly RimWorld, my mod got about 100k downloads but it added so much and changed a few mechanics with absolutely no explanation so I had to create a tutorial video to help people. It wasn't the downloads, the views or the subscribers that made it worth it. It was individuals enjoying my mods and being helped by the tutorial videos. 

Edited by cala13er

Sure, if that is the case, do whatever suits your work style. Just prepare detailed synopsis under each video, so people would know which contains that bit of info they're looking for at the moment.

One topic I'm interested in is a kind of "heatmap" for maps detailing, where there is more or less action going on on usual basis, as well as usual camper spots and "sniper" alleys to be aware of. I guess it could be a part of "Succesful raiding".

This is such a nice and refreshing topic to read, go for it! Tarkov is an unforgiving game so I'm sure this kind of help will be appreciated.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:48 PM, cala13er said:

Other suggestions are welcomed and will be taken on board.

So my first suggestion would be don't go overboard in specifics, remember the game changes and structure the videos so they can be edited later in case patches change stuff. Makes it easier to keep it up to date.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:38 PM, halberger said:

Quite often I have to endure 20-30 minutes of tutorial movie in order to hear that one piece of info I'm looking for

Agree with this too - don't make click bait style videos, I often shift away from viewing a video if says "where to find key on customs" and it's around 10 minutes long.

12 hours ago, cala13er said:

Speaking and showing people how to do it in a video is far less time consuming and if explained correctly - Far easier too understand.

Why not make it a hybrid style site? Have a bit of both in an easy to flick through small 2-3 minute videos of key things?

You could even have map specific stuff like regular PMC routes, scav spawns, good angles to attack from, how to avoid ambushes and other similar stuff. 

Once you have the main site/pages up and running whats stopping you from expanding?

On 12/3/2018 at 6:32 PM, halberger said:

Sure, if that is the case, do whatever suits your work style. Just prepare detailed synopsis under each video, so people would know which contains that bit of info they're looking for at the moment.

One topic I'm interested in is a kind of "heatmap" for maps detailing, where there is more or less action going on on usual basis, as well as usual camper spots and "sniper" alleys to be aware of. I guess it could be a part of "Succesful raiding".

Taken on board, thank you :)

On 12/3/2018 at 10:50 PM, Vodor said:

This is such a nice and refreshing topic to read, go for it! Tarkov is an unforgiving game so I'm sure this kind of help will be appreciated.

So my first suggestion would be don't go overboard in specifics, remember the game changes and structure the videos so they can be edited later in case patches change stuff. Makes it easier to keep it up to date.

Agree with this too - don't make click bait style videos, I often shift away from viewing a video if says "where to find key on customs" and it's around 10 minutes long.

Why not make it a hybrid style site? Have a bit of both in an easy to flick through small 2-3 minute videos of key things?

You could even have map specific stuff like regular PMC routes, scav spawns, good angles to attack from, how to avoid ambushes and other similar stuff. 

Once you have the main site/pages up and running whats stopping you from expanding?

Hahaha I hate those videos! Literally could be about a minute long. It's ridiculous. I don't plan on pointlessly showing a waste of time, all that will be edited out. The aim is to make sure I am on topic and explaining things clearly consistently with no breaks to tell you where the best location for finding the factory key is for 10 minutes and that if you share the video you'll get +50% chance of finding a fully kitted out M4 in a filing cabinet. (Despite it being impossible)

I won't be going too in-depth as to explain mechanics that are obviously gonna change significantly like spawn points and stuff like that. For example, bullets won't change significantly as they're based off what the real bullets are designed for. They're not gonna suddenly make Hollow Point bullets op against armor because they're simply not designed to be armor penetrating.