Gurgumul

Lower resolution near the edges of the screen

Gurgumul

To improve performance, I switched to a lower resolution. But then, I couldn't see distant objects very well. A nice compromise would be the option to set a higher resolution in a small rectangle in the center of the screen, and a lower resolution in a frame around it. That way, you can see well in the center where the important stuff happens, while still getting higher fps thanks to lower resolution in the outer frame of the screen. Even better if you could set a few frames like that for a gradual change in resolution. Could also simulate peripheral view. So the game would look something like in the screenshot (but the HUD would be in full res ofc).

But on the other hand, I haven't ever seen a solution like this, maybe there is a good reason why it hasn't been done before.

escape from frying gpu.png

SniperInTheMist

I would think (I am not that savy with this) that multiple resolutions running on one picture would be extremely hard to do because of where the resolutions would meet and would cause screen tearing. Along with I would think that it would also cause issues with fps regardless.

Haxwell
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, SniperInTheMist said:

I would think (I am not that savy with this) that multiple resolutions running on one picture would be extremely hard to do because of where the resolutions would meet and would cause screen tearing. Along with I would think that it would also cause issues with fps regardless.

Correct. @Gurgumul What you are talking about in the manner that you are is actually impossible. It is impossible to render specific parts of your FoV in a different resolution. It also wouldn't achieve the effect you're trying to describe, instead it would probably make you feel nauseous while at the same time taking up more processing power than is currently possible to manufacture and displaying on a monitor literally built by NASA. The intended effect you are trying to describe already exists in games (this one included) however it is actually something that takes up MORE processing power, not less. In other games it's called Depth of field, where areas of your view that are not in focus are blurred. In this game it's called Z-Blur (referring to the Z axis; depth) and believe it or not your computer actually has to work HARDER to blur those areas.

Tr4wnet

Just use reshade.

RainmakerM4

Thats hilarious.