Spectator6

Steam Audio: Discussion of Features for EFT

Spectator6
Posted (edited)

For those who may not be in the loop, Nikita recently confirmed that Escape From Tarkov will be moving to a new audio engine called Steam Audio, which IIRC was previously called either Phobos or Phonos before being purchased by Valve.

What does this mean for EFT? 

It means not only better positional tracking (front/back, sides, up/down), but also a host of new real-time audio rendering methods including reflection, refraction, distortion, occlusion, reverb, etc to name a few. At this point, BSG hasn't shared just how much of the technology they will be utilizing (every layer of complexity obviously requires greater system resources), but given that EFT's utilization of Steam Audio will be one of the first debuts of the tech in a "large" title and that BSG is working closely with the Steam Audio team, I have high hopes that they'll want to "put their best foot foward" so to speak and take every opportunity to showcase the capabilities of their software solution.

Recent developments

One of the recent updates to Steam Audio includes a very interesting feature related to real time sound reflections. Check out the video in this article to hear it in action:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/596420/announcements/detail/1624021088655207523

NOTE: In order to hear the video, I had to right click the video box, select "show controls", then unmute the audio.

The thought of a gunfight in Interchange echoing sounds off its walls, up and down hallways, etc... That is just mind-blowing!

I know some modders for Arma were able to create some scripts that would allow sounds to echo off of surrounding hillsides and tree-lines. Admittedly that was a different sound solution and had to be hard-coded to a large degree, but it does pique my interest at just how detailed the Steam Audio solution can be. For example, could EFT gunshots alter dynamically in a setting like Streets of Tarkov to recreate something sonically similar to the infamous Heat shoutout scene

What are you most looking forward to with Steam Audio? Any specific feature or features you hope BSG implements?

For context, here are some older videos too demonstrating that even a rather rudimentary implementation of the tech can yield convincing results. It's important to note that Steam Audio has come a long way since these videos were created :)

Demo 1

Demo 2

Demo 3

Edited by Spectator6
fix formatting issues
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BrettB

Interesting. Im not sure why people are upset with the audio as it is. Its the best sounding game since Bad Company 2.

Interesting tech though... Thanks for sharing.

PardTheTroll
vor 37 Minuten schrieb BrettB:

Im not sure why people are upset with the audio as it is

One thing is the quality of the sound effect and another is the accuracy of the direction they are coming from. Also, we have the problem that sometimes sounds are not played at all ...

Spectator6
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrettB said:

Interesting. Im not sure why people are upset with the audio as it is. Its the best sounding game since Bad Company 2.

Interesting tech though... Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome Brett, thanks for commenting! I agree that EFT's sound samples are some of the best in the business! Being backed by something as powerful as Steam Audio will hopefully make them sound even better :)

1 hour ago, PardTheTroll said:

One thing is the quality of the sound effect and another is the accuracy of the direction they are coming from. Also, we have the problem that sometimes sounds are not played at all ...

Hello PardTheTroll! Yes, I've experienced this myself too. Hopefully this will go a long way toward remedying these issues!

Edited by Spectator6
typo