ProxyOOF

[Discussion] EFT Too hard for beginners?

ProxyOOF

*Warning: This is my personal opinion and suggestion*

Hello! 

After playing this game for hours, I have noticed just how difficult it is for new players to get a grasp on the game. To even understand the concept of it and how to play correctly I had to watch some beginners guides on YouTube. After learning the "bare-bone" basics of the game, I started to notice just how ridiculously hard this game is for people that aren't experienced with it. I have played many games similar to the play style of this game (AAPG, Insurgency, Arma 3, etc.) though this one is the most difficult by far. Now, I do believe that difficulty in games make them "heart-pounding" and interesting, and this game nails that feeling. Though, if the game intends to reach a bigger audience of players the current difficulty of starting the game will have to be changed. Maybe a beginning tutorial, practice range, private games, (really anything that can help new players learn the mechanics and overall gameplay of this game). Overall, I do believe that this game is amazing and worth putting time into learning and mastering, though I do think that if the game wants to keep a steady income of players, starting the game should be more straight foward and easy. 

Let me know your thoughts on this. 

~proxy

• Upvote 1

Schuidoo

Well, there as an offline mode, what else do you want? In offline mode you can practice movement, map-knowledge and weapon handling. It simply is a hardcore shooter and it hopefully will stay that way.

• Upvote 1

ProxyOOF
55 minutes ago, Schuidoo said:

Well, there as an offline mode, what else do you want? In offline mode you can practice movement, map-knowledge and weapon handling. It simply is a hardcore shooter and it hopefully will stay that way.

Yes, there is an offline mode for practice though just generally starting the game is very confusing and difficult. (For example the complete lack of any instruction what so ever on the games base looting mechanics upon starting the game).

sleava

I find that this game aims to do what it does really, really well. The cost of this is that it has a smaller target demo than other games, like COD. If you want to expand the demo, you have to essentially dumb it down to make it more appealing.

I do have to agree though, this game needs a tutorial. I expect the final game will have one. I had to talk to my buddy and go to the wiki to find out what to do in my first game. 

PardTheTroll

Just search up some youtube videos/tutorials. There are also many here on forum or on other sites. What do you need one in game for?

P.S. There will be a tutorial in Tarkov. But it is definitely not a priority.

DanExert
26 minutes ago, sleava said:

this game needs a tutorial.

9 minutes ago, PardTheTroll said:

P.S. There will be a tutorial in Tarkov. But it is definitely not a priority.

Forgive my ignorance but did there not used to be a tutorial that showed itself upon first starting the game? Has it been removed?

RAC-W

Dark Souls doesn't have any tutorial aside from teaching you the basic movement and attacks that you can do with pop-up messages, while also being very popular to a wide variety of player, so why would this game need a tutorial? I love games that just throw you in and you have to figure everything out on your own, I envy everyone who's new to EFT and who has yet to discover everything.

Edited by RAC-W

PardTheTroll
vor einer Stunde schrieb DanExert:

Forgive my ignorance but did there not used to be a tutorial that showed itself upon first starting the game? Has it been removed?

Hm, can't remember honestly. There is something resonating in my memory though. Like patch 0.11.5? I kinda remember reading something about basic tutorial. Can't remember, if it was or will be implemented ...

DanExert
4 hours ago, PardTheTroll said:

Hm, can't remember honestly. There is something resonating in my memory though. Like patch 0.11.5? I kinda remember reading something about basic tutorial. Can't remember, if it was or will be implemented ...

In fact I remember the prompt because I joked about doing it, with my chat (after playing since 0.4). So it has existed at some point or another, perhaps it was removed recently

RainmakerM4

Really hope EFT stays hardcore.

rav91

i started playing with the beginning of this wipe and i dont think the game is too difficult, but some of the static key spawns  and quests are nearly impossible to find without external help.
I prefer figuring out most htings on my own rather than reading step by step guides, guess ill never find certain keys.. and also i looked up some quests because the instructions are not sufficient and the target range is so small. for example installing 3 wifi cameras.
thats a bit of a bummer.

tobiassolem

It's not too hard, they're too soft. ;)

• Hot 1
  • Upvote 2

Arzzet

EFT is very difficult to learn without external help ( suggestions, how to, quest guides, exits, etc ). Altough when I started and for the first 2 weeks had to figure everything on my own ( except the item location of some quest ) and that sensation was... simply unforgettable.

I envy new players who had to discover everything from scratch. Knowing the difficulty of it of course.

on the other hand: it was a tutorial you can enable on just after staring you game for first time or after wipe. But I didn’t see that in 11.7. It might be removed and coming back later. Maybe they are doing some tweaks on it and removed it for a while.

yes EFT is difficult for beginners, but at the same time was one of the more rewarding game learning I ever had. Is that feeling that every player of EFT already know... 

orbitstorm

As someone who has only owned the game for a few weeks now, I'd argue that the mechanics themselves aren't the issue, it's the noodle code the game is built on with absolutely horrid optimization despite being in "beta" for seven years(!), the unbelievably bad and ever-prevalent desync, and the utter lack of accurate and relevant information.

My experience would be much better if I wasn't playing hopscotch while slamming full mags into someone's face only to suddenly die and go back to sitting in the main menu trying to Google information on a task that doesn't discuss optional objectives or have an updated map.

i7-8700K + GTX 1070 more than surpasses their recommended specs yet, even on all-low settings, I barely scratch 60 frames while skipping all around the map as the lousy rendering process has objects playing peekaboo. There's been no evidence of region-locking for the hamster-powered servers which means I'm often dying to someone in a backwater swamp with mill-powered internet. Hard to master the mechanics when I have to outplay noodle code too.

• Upvote 1

zieft

Every experienced player started from being a beginner, if you really want to learn, it's no hard at all, just a matter of time.

zpwarrior

It's an either sink or swim type of game. While I do think they could do better with explanations of traders, better listing of compatibility with weapon attachments etc and overall map orientation, the game is simply hard. I came back playing recently after 8 or so months break and am barely getting back in the flow. I used to literally mop the floor of players in raids non stop and now im struggling, just how the game plays. People have to be willing to struggle or they will just give up.

FREEZED

only thing hard for beginner is that you always die to one hit on top of the head, and if you use cheap helmet you die to hit on jaws, aimbot scavs and players starts to be boring already, every time when situations is bit fishy that happens...   

AODqw97

It's a brutal game and very unforgiving, hopefully it will always be that way.
My advice is find a good team to run with, you'll learn so much from them very quickly.

ShiroTenshi

Yes, right now EFT is not easy to understand when first starting out. There is a basic text tutorial you can choose to do or ignore after each wipe, but then it just throws you into the deep end and it's sink or swim.

In the future though, there will be a better tutorial. DEVs have mentioned the first location of the story mode will be more of a tutorial location. That, and there are also Sherpas to help people along that don't have an easy time getting into it.

TheColdVein

#Locked. Reason: Answered.

4 minutes ago, ShiroTenshi said:

Yes, right now EFT is not easy to understand when first starting out. There is a basic text tutorial you can choose to do or ignore after each wipe, but then it just throws you into the deep end and it's sink or swim.

In the future though, there will be a better tutorial. DEVs have mentioned the first location of the story mode will be more of a tutorial location. That, and there are also Sherpas to help people along that don't have an easy time getting into it.

EDIT: EFT will remain hardcore and will actually be harder on release. Devs set out to make that the highlight of the game.