Spectator6

Suggestion: Traders act as suppliers for completion of tasks

Spectator6
Posted (edited)

NOTE: This was originally posted in the Beta Testing Forum. I forgot that section is not open to all users, so I decided to move it here instead. Also, the original context of this discussion is a post I made on Reddit. The formatting is a bit easier to read there, so feel free to go that route if you prefer. Now, onto the show :)

-----

What if the traders were to come to you from time to time and say,

• "Hey, I need you to run into Interchange for me and get a bunch of loot. Here, take this weapon, rig, backpack, and armor and put it to good use. If you come back with the goods, you can keep the gear. If you don't come back with enough loot, then I'm going to start thinking twice about giving you these types of opportunities going forward..."

And from here, maybe the user must extract with a certain number of a particular loot item. Or maybe they can mix and match whatever loot they want as long as its value equals at least $X.

The idea is that each success could open higher levels of gear sets for later offers. So let's say early on, you're given a nice pisltol or SMG with low-tier armor. If you bring back the value of loot requested, maybe next time he swaps out the previous gear he gave you with you a rifle, mid-tier armor, and larger backpack to come back with an even larger amount of loot from the raid.

(EDIT6: To clarify this point, the idea being you always ever have ONE free gear set at a time that you immediately take in with you to a raid. You can't just collect the items, stash them, and use something else. You accept the task, are given the items, and boom, immediately moved to the lobby for a raid on the designated map. When you extract, the trader expects you to give him back the non-disposable/non-usable items in order to progress further. Thoughts?)

There could also be requests that require more than one player. For example:

• "Hey, find a buddy willing to take the risk with you, and I'll give you both a Labs keycard and set you up with some good gear. But in return, I want every single Raider killed. Every. Single. One. Which means you need to make sure every alarm is triggered before you extract and then go hunting. And remember, if you turn on me once you get in there and run away like a coward, I will not forget. What do you say, want to give it a shot, cowboy?"

The goal here is to give players a chance to use better gear than they currently have, while also facing penalties for "failing" the task at hand. This way, if they just spawn in and rush for extract in order to keep the gear, that decision will "stay with them". Maybe the trader demands his gear be returned to him upon extract, maybe his karma takes a negative hit, maybe his rep with that trader goes down quite a bit. Something to punish provide a disincentive* for "not even trying" (* See EDIT4).

Think of it kind of like a "gun game" mode, but included through intermittent quests from the traders. Each success "levels up" your next gear offer. And if you fail badly, your next gear offer drops in quality, etc. And again, the key word here is INTERMITTENT. These wouldn't happen all the time or be available 24/7 like current uncompleted tasks. Players would still have to find and risk their own loot the majority of the time. But every now and then, maybe these types of tasks could pop up for the player.

Thoughts? Improvements?

-----

EDIT1: Or, maybe the offers keep coming back to back to back and you upgrade/exchange your gear sets as long as you stay on a "win streak"?

I can hear the player reactions now:

• "The other day I got one of those 'free gear' questlines from Peacekeeper... I ended up going into six raids back to back and got all the way up to a tricked out ADAR with Level 4 armor. In my last one, I had to kill and loot an item from 10 different scavs and make it out with $X value of loot. I didn't make it out, but man, was those were some sweet runs! Have you received one of those quests yet? How far were you able to get? What kind of gear did they give you each time?"

The balancing act for the devs, then, would be how quickly the gear progresses after each success and/or the in-raid requirements that must be met for the tasks as they get progressively harder.

-----

EDIT2: Maybe there could be an interesting interplay/reward for players who kill and loot a player currently on one of these questlines? For example, say you kill a player, and while looting him, you see he has a note or something (maybe a special flashdrive?) telling you to hand it in to Peacekeeper (or whatever trader the player was currently working with). Immediately upon extracting, the player automatically hands it over and receives a message from PK:

• "Ahh, you took him down did you? Or maybe you didn't, and you just found this on his body. Either way, I've got an offer for you. That player was on a mission for me. I set him up with some gear and in return, he completed certain tasks for me. Seeing that he's dead and you're alive, what do you say I extend similar offers your way?"

And from here, the player is free to embark on a "free gear" questline of his own if he chooses to. Just like players can currently find Labs keys in-raid, this would essentially serve as a way for players to find a similar sort of "instant free-gear questline" pass, rather than having to wait for one as usual.

-----

EDIT3: Rather than equip the player with one specific loadout each time, he could be given choices and/or allowed to choose from a limited subset of the items. "Hey it may not be pretty, but here. Grab whatever you want from this stash and make it happen." Later down the line, if the player "levels up" the gear offer, he could choose from an assortment of high level items. Mix and match attachments and items to fit how he wants to approach the next task. A sort of "gun game with options", if you will.

The goal though would be to avoid pigeonholing players to a single play style while also keeping it short and sweet so they don't get overcome with analysis paralysis. For example, would you rather a decked out auto shotgun or really nice supressed pistol or mildly appointed MP5? Quick and to the point, keeping the player moving along.

-----

EDIT4: As u/hanizen  points out, it may be best to have any repercussions be limited to the "free gear" mini-quests, otherwise it may come across as unfair. The thought is to keep these fun and desirable -- "Yay, I got a free gear questline offer!", not "Crap, what if I die to a suspicious player or run into a four man squad? No thanks, I don't want it wrecking my trader rep!"

-----

EDIT5: /u/delu_ has an interesting thought that I hadn't considered... Could something like this completely replace the Scav run? Especially once we have the hideout and multiple PMC characters, perhaps allowing these "supplied mercenary for hire" type raids from time to time could provide a more consistent experience story/lore-wise? Hmm... Interesting! (Though I have to say I really like "teaming up" with the AI as a Scav!)

He goes on to say that certain tasks could "set up" the map in certain ways. The example he gives:

• "So, there's this asshole who keeps scaring my guys. Heard he sewn his name on his armor. Killa was it? Can you take him out?" which would make guaranteed killa spawn on your next interchange raid... Maybe even as an end of a longer series. Like first you gotta find a working gphone for Fence to arrange a fake meeting with killa, then you go clear and secure the place etc."

Very cool!

-----

EDIT7: Piggybacking a bit off of u/delu_'s idea of "setting up" the map... What if certain high-risk tasks provided some level of backup for the player in order to complete? For example

• Ragman: "Hey, I've got another one for you. This one is big. Very difficult. I need you to break into the Kiba store and place a tracking beacon on a shipment of supplies. You'll have to blow the door with this charge. Don't worry about Killa, we've already disabled the alarm. You've got ten minutes. I'll have my best guards on map providing support. We'll get you close, drop you off in a van in the parking garage, and provide some overwatch. After 10 minutes, though, all bets are off and my guys are pulling out. If for whatever reason you don't make it out, we never had this discussion and this whole deal never happened. What do you say?"

And then, on map, certain blockades and/or flairs could be set in the mall, as a means of cordoning off the area (and hinting to others that something "special" is afoot). Maybe some high level scavs are stationed at certain areas to deter players (stationary machine gun mounts, possibly?).

Upon map start, the player would spawn within the mall, in the parking garage, near a blacked out van. Other players, upon joining the raid, would receive a message from Ragman along the lines of,

• "Hey, I've got a guy running something important for me. Don't get in the way. Kiba's off-limits for the first 10 minutes. If you do kill him, though, bring me back his beacon and I'll clue you in." (See EDIT2)

During the first 10 minutes, Ragman's guards would serve as a sort of "third-party" to the fighting. They'd engage both Scavs and PMC's while being friendly to you/your squad.

Edited by Spectator6
formatting